V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Mar 17, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #1,066 of 1,475
yeah its not the fitting lol. i had this for 2 months already, just the right side went so soft today, don't know why
frown.gif
and the left earbud is way louder.

its okay, it's under warranty^^

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #1,068 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what if you bored them out? I mean they are just foam couldnt you bore out the center with a drill to make them fit?

Probably could, but foam isn't so easy to drill, it tends to tear. One way I have heard to counteract the tearing is to get the foam saturated with water and then freeze them solid before you try to drill them out.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #1,069 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it was stated that these( http://www.earphonesolutions.com/cocatiforum2.html ) would not work with the vibes because of the small bore, but what if you bored them out? I mean they are just foam couldnt you bore out the center with a drill to make them fit?

Ah, but the Comply's aren't just foam. They're foam encasing a flexible (but still fairly rigid) plastic stem. This plastic component is what secures the eartip to the (correct) earphones. In order to expand their hole, you'd have to remove this plastic element...so even if you can then get them to accomodate the vibes' larger sound bore, you'll then have to find a way for the naked, squishy foam to actually stay on the earphone. Not very promising.

If you're considering the use of a drill anyway, you'd probably be better off experimenting with some homemade foam tips fashioned out of earplugs. It would save you a load of cash and allow you a much vaster array of options. There are a couple of pretty enormous threads around here on the subject of homemade foamies...you should search them up. Fish tank tubing is one material that has been used (albeit not yet with the vibes) to give the foamies shape and secure them on various earphones' sound bores.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #1,070 of 1,475
Interesting discussion.
Does anyone know of good foamies that will work with Vibes with no alterations?

I heard Super.fi 5's and Shure e2c foamies will work?
Does anyone know if the new Shure black foamies will work with the Vibes?

Here's something the V-Moda rep on this thread will be entertained by: I went to the Apple Store here in San Francisco to look for foam tips that would fit my Vibes. I was looking at the Shures, next to the Vibes, and a saleslady comes up to me and sees I'm wearing the Vibes and asks how I like them, she asks for a review. So I start in telling her like the 50 pages of material on this thread. heh. She steps back for a moment, I think a bit shocked or something. Then I say in sum I really like the Vibes, but I wish they came with some foam tips, and do you sell the Shure foam tips?
Her reply: "No, we don't sell Shure foam tips separately. But, thats why I recommend people buy the Shures instead of the Vibes when they ask me: because the Shures come with the foam tips."
I try to tell her hey thats kinda irrelevant because you can get tips for a few bucks each, why base your iem decision on what tips it comes with, but she is not buying it. And the funny thing is: many people walking in there see her as an expert on it, and they will listen to her recommendations...

What? Well, anyway: Hello, V-Moda, . . . are you hearing this????
smily_headphones1.gif

There's so many Vibes out there now, I think some company could make some money by making some Shure-type black foamies for the Vibes in various sizes...

In the meantime: Any other contenders for good Vibe foamies that will work off the rack?

Mar 17, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #1,071 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by stereophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of good foamies that will work with Vibes with no alterations?

I heard Super.fi 5's and Shure e2c foamies will work?
Does anyone know if the new Shure black foamies will work with the Vibes?

In the meantime: Any other contenders for good Vibe foamies that will work off the rack?

I'm doubtful the Shure e2 foamies will fit the vibes, as even the e2's sound tube, while larger than the e3/e4/e5/e500's, is smaller than the vibes'. e2 soft flex sleeves will fit only because the silicone they're made of will stretch enough to allow it. The plastic sleeve inside the Shure foamies is not that flexible.

The new Shure black olive foamies will definitely not fit the vibes, as they are designed for the e3/e4/e5/e500-sized sound tube exclusively.

Which means the super.fi foamies are the only off-the-shelf foam option for the vibes at this time. I agree that we're due for some new contenders.

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #1,072 of 1,475
I received my Vibes from Amazon this week. After burning them in and trying the various fittings, the mediums sounded the best. Since I use my Ipod primarily when I do 3 mile walks every day, microphonics was an important issue. I found that looping the cord behind the ear cut that to almost nothing. Overall sound was very good but still a bit thin for my taste. I have an old pair of Shure e2cs (talk about microphonics!) and decided to try its foamies. I did have to gently widen the inner sleeve with a knife but managed to fit them on. The large foams were too boomy but the mediums were just right. The bass was more "enveloping" than the Vibe's own fittings but that "middle of the top of my head" sound stage was maintained. Isolation was greater but not to the point where I couldn't hear loud sounds around me. Microphonics was not an issue even without looping the cords. I may buy some additional Shures and try the super.fi foamies as well.

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #1,073 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by candy604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah its not the fitting lol. i had this for 2 months already, just the right side went so soft today, don't know why
frown.gif
and the left earbud is way louder.

its okay, it's under warranty^^

test out the softer sounding side on both ears and make sure you're not crazy.
600smile.gif

if you find out both your ears are working correctly, then it probably means you have dust or lint or something trapped in the "bass hole" (?). just blow on it and i think you should be ok. btw...same thing happened to me.

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #1,074 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an old pair of Shure e2cs (talk about microphonics!) and decided to try its foamies. I did have to gently widen the inner sleeve with a knife but managed to fit them on. The large foams were too boomy but the mediums were just right. The bass was more "enveloping" than the Vibe's own fittings but that "middle of the top of my head" sound stage was maintained. Isolation was greater but not to the point where I couldn't hear loud sounds around me. Microphonics was not an issue even without looping the cords. I may but some additional Shures and try the super.fi foamies as well.

Cal, thanks for this info. Okay, I'm going to try some Shure foamie on my Vibes also.

I wonder if these foamies that are made for Shures just might fit the Vibes...
I'm thinking about giving this Ebay place a chance: http://cgi.ebay.com/Combo-Pack-Foam-...QQcmdZViewItem

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #1,075 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by stereophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cal, thanks for this info. Okay, I'm going to try some Shure foamie on my Vibes also.

I wonder if these foamies that are made for Shures just might fit the Vibes...
I'm thinking about giving this Ebay place a chance: http://cgi.ebay.com/Combo-Pack-Foam-...QQcmdZViewItem

Those don't look like the expandable foamies to me so I'm not sure that they would offer any advantages over the Vibe's own fittings. Amazon has the Shure foamies for a pretty good price compared to Shure's web site.

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #1,077 of 1,475
i recently picked up a pair of vibes, but when i put the right one in it makes a weird pop/click noise, kinda like a water drop sound...it's only in the right ear but it doesn't change the sound at all, is that a problem? because i have a different pair of earphones the came with my mp3 player that does the same thing only in the right ear as well

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #1,078 of 1,475
My Vibes will sometimes make a bit of a crackling/popping sound when being inserted, but this is just because of the tip. Sometimes switching the tips helps, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Mar 20, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #1,080 of 1,475
Just got my vibes today and am fairly impressed with them even out of the box. I haven't really tried too many iems, so not too much to compare it to though. They do however meet every need of mine for this particular pair of headphones. I needed a pair that could go on and off with ease and that would be ideal for the gym, which I think the Vibes definitely are. I was pretty surprised by how easy it was to put them on. I also wanted headphones that would isolate a bit, but not totally so that I could somewhat hear what is going on and I just can't stand working out with iems such as UM1's where you can hear yourself breathing and all that. Ear buds like from the ipod suck as far as sound goes and they also fall out of my ears all the time as well, so it had been quite a difficult task to find a pair of headphones for the gym.

I also really like the silicone tips, I feel like I can keep them on a long time without having it be bothersome. I could just never get comfortable listening to iems with compy tips or flanges for long periods of time. Finding a proper fit is also hard for me to do as well, so having the vibes fit so easily was a bit of a surprise. The isolation is obviously not the main strength of these headphones, but I got several other pairs of iems that I can use when I do want complete isolation. I think the vibes takes the benefits of both iems & ear buds in that they do have some isolation and provide great sound, but also have the comfort of ear buds that don't have to get jammed all the way into your ears. As mentioned before, being able to take them on and off with ease is also a big plus for me as well. The cord manager is also a nice touch along with the pouch which actually can fit the ipod nano in it. Last but not least, it sounds great as well. Maybe, I didn't have amazingly high expectations, but the Vibes definitely exceeded them easily. I definitely look forward to other products from V-Moda to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back