V-Moda Vibe (chrome version) - discolored cable
Feb 17, 2007 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dfkt

Headphoneus Supremus
Just noticed something weird - the metallic coloring of my Vibe's cable inside the transparent plastic tubing disappeared from the headphones down to the cable divider... near the 3.5mm plug it's still silver colored, but seems the "color-loss" is spreading further down the cable. Between the earbuds and the cable divider my cable's completely black, as you see in the photos below.

Nothing wrong with the sound or anything, only the chrome/silver color's gone. Weird thing, as it's inside the transparent plastic tube.

Did this happen to anyone else?

P2171190.jpg

P2171189.jpg

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 13
Hm, that sucks dude. How long have you had them?

I'm guessing you could probably exchange them for a new pair, judging by the way things look. Maybe Val can help hook you up
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 13
I had the Vibes since mid-December. It's no big issue... just wanted to share it. Actually I like the cable a bit darker anyway... so it can't be mistaken for cheap iPod buds on the street.
icon10.gif

Just wondering what this "chrome rot" could be?

My guess would be that the cable inside the plastic was just spray-painted with chrome color - and cause of using the Vibes in bed, having all my weight on the cables when I roll around - the chrome might have rubbed of, or something like that. Just a guess... ?

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 13
i just got my K81s yesterday and i was thinking of pickin some of the Vibes up for like mowing the yard, and for running. i have some e2c i got 2 Xmas' ago, but i hear good thing about these.....happy with the purchase? and do they sty put in the ear? if i was to be joggin with em?

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't recommend the Vibes for mowing the yard... they don't isolate like most other IEMs. You'll hear every outside noise.

Their sound is excellent, however... you can read my review about them here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214643

thanks i may just hand on to the e2cs for those things then, since i just got the k81. thanks for the help.

Feb 17, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 13
HAha... that's funny... I bought the 81's over Christmas, and I ordered a pair of vibes last week...

I guess we both like headphones that have TONS of good reviews
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 13
The chrome vibes that I purchased in mid-Dec are showing similar discoloration between the earpieces and the Y-splice. Also, these runs of cable are becoming "stiffer" with time (i.e. less flexible....). I usually wear these with the cable over my ear, and this curvature seems to be becoming more permanently fixed in the cable. Hopefully the cables don't go one step further and become brittle.

Jul 23, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #11 of 13
Yes, same happened with mine - they're not "cables" anymore, but "wires". I like that they keep the over-the-ear shape, but it's annoying rolling them up for transport, then trying to straighten the cable again.

Btw, the discoloration affected the whole cable in the meantime - mine are totally black by now. Which looks much better and less blingy, IMO.

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 13
Did y'all ever solve the question why the cables are getting stiffer on the Vibe? I've had mine (Flashback) for about 2 months, and they are beginning to be permanantly curved over the top of my ear. It's not a problem yet, but if it continues it might become so.

Have yours gotten worse over a longer period of time, or does the cable just stiffen up a bit and then stop?

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 13
probably just an oxidation on the cable that transferred to the silver sleeve inside the tubing... there are reports of shure se215 cable turned green too.. I'm not sure though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back