V-MODA Unveils M-200 ANC, Its First Bluetooth Active Noise Cancelling Headphone
Jan 11, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #17 of 137
Has anyone ordered / tried these? Curious how they stack vs other premium headphones in the category, especially APM or B&O H95

They were announced today. I ordered one, but shipping looks to be 1-2 months out.

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #18 of 137
Just realized that this is being advertised as a 40mm driver. The m200 is a 50. This is different.

Now I'm really intrigued.

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #19 of 137
Same tuning as M-200? In terms of function, these look amazing. The M-200 was super overpriced though and $500 would be nuts for the same sound. Crossing my fingers they have been improved.

Updated my original reply to be a kind of general FAQ for the ANCs going forward. Will update it if more similar questions roll in. Hopefully this answers yours!

1. How is the tuning on the M-200 ANC different from the M-200?

The ANC's tuning provides a comfortable listening experience for any musical genre without skipping out on resolution or making any compromises for sound quality.

The M-200 ANCs do not aim for the same level of audio neutrality as the M-200 but rather, their sound profile rests between the M-100 Master and M-200; Their aim is to provide a balance of clarity and bass punchiness for a wide variety of audio applications and listening experiences all of which can be tuned further for user preference using our new mobile app.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #20 of 137
Question, if you cover the left ear cup, does it simply turn off ANC or does it pipe in outside noise (like a transparency mode type of thing)? If the latter, it would actually be nice to be able to toggle this with a button as well so I don't need to keep holding my hand over the ear cup :p

@AndrewY... Oh and I second the question regarding what drivers it's using and tuning (if it's using the drivers and tuning from the already existing M-200).
Hey, thanks for the questions!

1) The "Voice In" function is a temporary pause for the ANC and reduction for audio levels. You can however adjust the ANC level in-app at any time so you don't have to hold your hand up for prolonged periods. It's more for shorter interactions. Volume levels can be controlled either by your device or using the volume buttons on the headphones. There is also a toggleable on/off button for the ANC on the headphones.

2) We actually use 40mm drivers in the ANCs vs the 50mm drivers in the M-200. Details on the drivers are in the OP!

I have updated my original reply in this thread to be kind of an ongoing FAQ on these which has some remarks on the tuning.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #21 of 137
I'll see if I can get you an answer for question one. Not sure how to answer that off-hand.

Question two though, we actually use 40mm drivers in the ANCs vs the 50mm drivers in the M-200. Details on the drivers are in the OP!

I have updated my original reply in this thread to be kind of an ongoing FAQ on these which has some remarks on the tuning.

Thanks for the answer on the second question. Shame on the drivers And tuning :/ I guess I’ll have to wait and hear them.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #22 of 137
Thanks for the answer on the second question. Shame on the drivers And tuning :/ I guess I’ll have to wait and hear them.

No worries! Updated my original reply to you.

Also, if you want to try them we actually offer a 60 day "test drive" period through our website. Details below:

"The 60‑day test drive allows you to try out the product for 60 days when purchased from our website (V-MODA.com). If you are unsatisfied with the product for any reason, you may return it within the 60-day period for a 100% refund of the purchase price."

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #26 of 137
I've honestly been waiting for V-Moda to release their next Bluetooth headphone for over 2 years now. My crossfade 2 codex broke just outside their original warranty and I heald onto them (and kept them working with hot glue and tape) with the plan to use them in the immortal life program to get their replacement.

I'm a bit disappointed to see the immortal life program is now just a 20% discount regardless of original headphone value, but will probably still buck up and get these depending on reviews. The discount is definitely nice and I wish more companies offered something like this, but I'm a bit disappointed it changed without my noticing.

I'd do the 60 day trial but I suspect doing that while also trying to apply the immortal life discount would cause issues. If I'm not satisfied obviously I am not getting my old headphones back - which still work well enough that I'd rather have them than not.

All that said, I'm hopeful for these! Would love some more information on aspects of the communication features of these, specifically how many Mics they have and what, if any tech they use for background noise mitigation for calls. From the product page "...thanks to the state of the art microphone" which seams to imply it only has one. Presumably that's just a marketing verbiage issue and not literal. ANC is definitely a feature which separates wheat from chaff on high end BT, specifically at this price point it should be every bit as good as or better than the Sony XM4, Bose and close to the Airpods Max.

I worry that as V Moda's first foray into this space they won't have the R&D to compete at that level. Hopefully their integration with Rolan and their experience with sound and in the industry are enough. ANC is just a really hard thing which requires a unique amalgamation of hardware, processing and really really good algorithms and has proven to be a huge challenge to just do well, not even excellently.

When compared with the codex the main advantages are anc, assistants (siri and Google), adjustable profiles (which can be accomplished through a lot of music players themselves) and whatever sound design advances have been made. I'll be interested to see if the improvements justify the price increase from the codex which themselves were a bit overpriced at the time anyway.

I'd be interested to know if they have any other smart sensors or actions such as off head detection and if they will automatically go into sleep mode.

It looks like it has the same 3 buttons as the codex, but it isn't really mentioned in the description. Is there any other way to activate the assistant other than speaking? What options does this have for skipping forward or back in a track?

Can they be used while charging? Would be awesome if they can still be used, even if its just as a wired headphone while the BT systems charge.

I know it sounds like I'm really down on these, but I really am hopeful and will probably end up with them regardless. Unfortunately I listen to music or audio of some form for probably 12+ hrs a day, and that amount of use means I tend to use audio products to failure in less than a year. My Codex and M100 before were built like tanks and I still broke them, so I seem to need the durability that V Moda supplies and am aware that they have made improvements to the hinge and cups with the 100 master and m200 which I assume are present here as well, so I really really hope these are good and I can justify the price!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #27 of 137
I've honestly been waiting for V-Moda to release their next Bluetooth headphone for over 2 years now. My crossfade 2 codex broke just outside their original warranty and I heald onto them (and kept them working with hot glue and tape) with the plan to use them in the immortal life program to get their replacement.

I'm a bit disappointed to see the immortal life program is now just a 20% discount regardless of original headphone value, but will probably still buck up and get these depending on reviews. The discount is definitely nice and I wish more companies offered something like this, but I'm a bit disappointed it changed without my noticing.

I'd do the 60 day trial but I suspect doing that while also trying to apply the immortal life discount would cause issues. If I'm not satisfied obviously I am not getting my old headphones back - which still work well enough that I'd rather have them than not.

All that said, I'm hopeful for these! Would love some more information on aspects of the communication features of these, specifically how many Mics they have and what, if any tech they use for background noise mitigation for calls. From the product page "...thanks to the state of the art microphone" which seams to imply it only has one. Presumably that's just a marketing verbiage issue and not literal. ANC is definitely a feature which separates wheat from chaff on high end BT, specifically at this price point it should be every bit as good as or better than the Sony XM4, Bose and close to the Airpods Max.

I worry that as V Moda's first foray into this space they won't have the R&D to compete at that level. Hopefully their integration with Rolan and their experience with sound and in the industry are enough. ANC is just a really hard thing which requires a unique amalgamation of hardware, processing and really really good algorithms and has proven to be a huge challenge to just do well, not even excellently.

When compared with the codex the main advantages are anc, assistants (siri and Google), adjustable profiles (which can be accomplished through a lot of music players themselves) and whatever sound design advances have been made. I'll be interested to see if the improvements justify the price increase from the codex which themselves were a bit overpriced at the time anyway.

I'd be interested to know if they have any other smart sensors or actions such as off head detection and if they will automatically go into sleep mode.

It looks like it has the same 3 buttons as the codex, but it isn't really mentioned in the description. Is there any other way to activate the assistant other than speaking? What options does this have for skipping forward or back in a track?

Can they be used while charging? Would be awesome if they can still be used, even if its just as a wired headphone while the BT systems charge.

I know it sounds like I'm really down on these, but I really am hopeful and will probably end up with them regardless. Unfortunately I listen to music or audio of some form for probably 12+ hrs a day, and that amount of use means I tend to use audio products to failure in less than a year. My Codex and M100 before were built like tanks and I still broke them, so I seem to need the durability that V Moda supplies and am aware that they have made improvements to the hinge and cups with the 100 master and m200 which I assume are present here as well, so I really really hope these are good and I can justify the price!

Realistically, I feel like if they push the SQ further than the APM they might be able to get away with only above average ANC (something below the APM, but not unusable or bad having some weirdness to it like thumpy feedback and other oddities). Off head detection would be awesome to have similar to the B&W and Sony offerings. The B&W will actually automatically turn on when you place them on your head like the APM.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #28 of 137
How are the ear cups compared to the CFW2? Are they sized like what ships with the CFW series? Or are they closer to the XL versions?

The ear cups / pads on both the M-200 and ANC are larger. The ANC actually have slightly different (and larger) pads than the M-200s out of the box for a more comfortable fit.

Also...are the shields interchangeable between M200 ANC and the other models?

The shields on the M-200 ANC are interchangeable with our regular M-200. These are larger sized than previous V-MODA models.

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #29 of 137
The ear cups / pads on both the M-200 and ANC are larger. The ANC actually have slightly different (and larger) pads than the M-200s out of the box for a more comfortable fit.

The shields on the M-200 ANC are interchangeable with our regular M-200. These are larger sized than previous V-MODA models.
Great, thanks for the info.

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #30 of 137
I found the M200 pads to be quite perfect for my ears. The even further improved pads *should* please the remaining folks that thought they were small, i'd imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back