V Moda M100 Crossfade or Sennheiser Momentum
Jun 8, 2013 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

HUNGUS-FUNGUS

New Head-Fier
Hello,

1st post.

I'm new to the forum and new to the headphone scene too. (So pardon me for not being fluent with the technical aspect)

I am looking into purchasing my first pair of $300+ headphones. And unfortunately, there are not of lot choices in local stores to try on. (I live in New Zealand, it's all Sony or UE in store).

I have tried on colleague's AKG K550 and found them to be a bit "underwhelming". It's absolutely beautiful with a simple acoustic track and a good vocal. I love the clean and transparent sound of it. But the bass just doesn't pack enough punch for the other stuff I listen to.

I have tried the Sony MDR-R1. Better bass without losing much clarity in the mids. But it still feels somewhat lacking. I cant describe what's its missing but it just feels a bit generic to me, nothing really stands out. (Maybe because I've had the NC7 and XB500 and made me used to the "Sony" sound). And while it's very good looking, it seems a bit flimsy.

And after hours of research online, it seems to have filtered down to two options: The M100 or the Momentum.

I understand that they are two very different sounding headphones and are highly praised in their own regards.

I consider music taste to be mainly contemporary with a slight lean towards the alternative genre. Although I do diverse out into other genre quite often.

And here is a list of the few albums that I'm currently listening to:

1. Radiohead - In Rainbows (One of my favourite albums to relax to.)
  2. Silversun pickups - Neck of the wood
  3. Ben Howard - The Burgh Island EP
  4. Nine Inch Nails - Came Back Haunted
  5. Daft punk - R.A.M.
  6. Rudimental - Home
  7. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - The Lion the Beast the Beat
  1. Sound City - Real to reel (OST)

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!!!

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 2
For bass definitely go for the M100's, the Momentums will be much more detailed and revealing and are a better headphone but I think they will sound pretty similar to the Sony's to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back