V-Moda M-200
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2019 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

plakat

Headphoneus Supremus
Very interesting... especially the part about the tuning by Roland engineers. Following my. Old habit of buying every V-Moda over-ear since the original M-100 I just ordered the M-200 as well.

https://www.v-Moda.com/eu/de/products/m-200

includes even a balanced cable (still single-entry), a neutral tuning, slightly updated cup design, magnetically attached ear pads with memory foam and a new case with more space for cables. The faceplates seem to be of the same dimensions as with older models.

default_hero.jpg default_M-200-be-precise.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 42
I fail to see how they have changed... anything significant compared to M-100 that can be measured or is on the spec sheet?

"Roland tuning" does not really mean much. Are they hinting that they got rid of V-shaped signature? If that's the case, portable/fun headphone companies rarely get it right. Measurements? And I wonder what their target market is, with cheap standards like M-50 and 880.

Form factor seems to be the same, pads are the same (EDIT: but magnetic now, cool), seems that the hinges are changed a bit, or maybe I'm imagining things. Balanced... for a portable, really?

Driver is "new and improved" but with no specifics, it seems. So the biggest two changes are supposed to be drivers and tuning and there is no way to measure or get into specifics, sad.

I kind of fail to see how this is M-200 and not M-100S.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 42
@Yaroslav all valid questions... there’s only some marketing information available right now, no one seems to have had it in hand outside of Roland.

I think they are slowly transforming it, with more engineering shifting to Roland — but that is only my interpretation of course.

But even without a complete driver redesign the tuning can be change of course. I‘ll wait and try.

what’s definitely nice: the magnetically attached pads. Plus, according to the product page, the pads are larger.

balanced... I don’t see that as an important change myself. And it’s not that much of a thing in studios as far as I know. Yet many ask for it, so they may simply be catering to perceived market needs.

Anyway — I‘m looking forward to it.

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 42
"Roland tuning"....Are they hinting that they got rid of V-shaped signature?

Quite possibly so. No more dual-diaphragm drivers, no more "Crossfade" in the product name, the M-200 has larger earcups, and the M-200 is specifically advertised purely as a neutral, studio-reference headphone.

It'll be interesting to see the response-curve chart for the M-200 (once it comes out), and compare it with the charts for the M-100 and M-100 Master.

If that's the case, portable/fun headphone companies rarely get it right.

Very good point. This totally reinforces one of the many points I've been making on Head-Fi in recent months. I think V-Moda has been making a big mistake by choosing to abandon hardcore bassheads like me (particularly by discontinuing any additional production of the original M-100 earlier this year), and by trying to compete in the neutral, studio headphone market.

Needless to say, I have no interest whatsoever in the new M-200. In fact, with my extreme EQ-preset app and portable rig, there's a significant chance that the drivers on these M-200s will bottom out with the beat and go "Snap! Crackle! Pop!" like Rice Krispies -- as a large number of neutral, studio headphones tend to do. The M-200 drivers might not have as much excursion capability (i.e., X-max) -- for extreme sub-bass -- compared to any of V-Moda's existing over-ear headphone models.

Just my thoughts, at least.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 42
To me a more linear signature is also welcome, although I do like V-Modas typical tuning for over-ears. What might prove complicated is telling two different stories within one rather small brand within even one naming schema (M-*). Nevertheless... I'm looking forward to the M-200.

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 42
What might prove complicated is telling two different stories within one rather small brand within even one naming schema (M-*).

Yeah...V-Moda's product naming schemes for their new over-ear headphones this year have been really weird. I think the letter M was originally intended to mean "Modern Audiophile."

It would've been a lot better to name the M-100 Master as the M-200, and the actual M-200 as the "S-100." (The letter S could mean "Studio.")

That would've made a lot more sense.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 42
Yeah...V-Moda's product naming scheme for their new over-ear headphones this year have been really weird. I think the letter M was originally intended to mean "Modern Audiophile."

It would've been a lot better to name the M-100 Master as the M-200, and the actual M-200 as the "S-100." (The letter S could mean "Studio.")

That would've made a lot more sense.

that's exactly what came to my mind as well: a different/new series name would have made communication of the new sound signature much easier. The M-100 Master would continue the original signature, and should not carry the Studio theme in its marketing while the new model starts a new series with focus on studio usage. Oh well...

I would be very much interested in some background information, like did they develop a new driver? The description of components like the voice coil sound familiar, but no mention of the dual diaphragm.

Nov 15, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 42
Quite possibly so. No more dual-diaphragm drivers, no more "Crossfade" in the product name, the M-200 has larger earcups, and the M-200 is specifically advertised purely as a neutral, studio-reference headphone.

It'll be interesting to see the response-curve chart for the M-200 (once it comes out), and compare it with the charts for the M-100 and M-100 Master.

Very good point. This totally reinforces one of the many points I've been making on Head-Fi in recent months. I think V-Moda has been making a big mistake by choosing to abandon hardcore bassheads like me (particularly by discontinuing any additional production of the original M-100 earlier this year), and by trying to compete in the neutral, studio headphone market.

Needless to say, I have no interest whatsoever in the new M-200. In fact, with my extreme EQ-preset app and portable rig, there's a significant chance that the drivers on these M-200s will bottom out with the beat and go "Snap! Crackle! Pop!" like Rice Krispies -- as a large number of neutral, studio headphones tend to do. The M-200 drivers might not have as much excursion capability (i.e., X-max) -- for extreme sub-bass -- compared to any of V-Moda's existing over-ear headphone models.

Keep in mind that Sound Guys use a hybrid Harman Target (Olive-Welti)/diffuse field curve (Harman curve up to 200-ish Hz, DF through the rest) while Innerfidelity has been diffuse field. You may want to add 5 dB to the bass response of the Master (taper the gains as you reach 200 Hz).

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 42

Can you clarify on the snap crackle pop thing? I'm using a pair of DT-177x GO and ... holy crap I guess I've been spoiled coming from XB700 to DT770 to AH-D2000 to AH-D7000 to TH-600 TH610 TH-x00... honestly even the AKG K701 didn't do this weird audio clipping thing with heavy sub-bass I'm hearing in these.

What is UP with that?

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 42
In the meantime I actually received my M-200 and like it quite a bit so far. It does have a much less prominent bass, yet good extension and good structure, more focus on voices, wider soundstage (though still a bit closed in sounding). Cups are not actually wider, but the new pads have wider openings (making them real over-ears for me at last), the magnetically attached pads are easy to remove and show a slightly angled driver mount underneath, with the driver looking identical to the recent M-100 Master (though that one is hidden behind its driver cover).

The folding mechanism feels different, the spring seems to be covered now. It still works the same though. The case feels a bit lighter, even smaller that the older cases. The balanced cable looks completely useless to me, having a 4-pole 3.5mm connector -- I don't know *anyone* using this spec. A pentacon or even the 2.5mm would have been more useful.

Packaging is not as minimal in size and fancy in form as it used to be, but it's still nice. The headband is wider now (see below), and, as with the M-100 Master, does not sport any mesh -- welcome to me. Padding is still not generous, but sufficient to not produce any hotspots on my head.

I'd prefer deeper pads, yet comfort is quite good and to me definitely better than with any previous model, mostly due to the larger cutout which can be seen on the photos below.

IMG_1228.jpg IMG_1229.jpg IMG_1230.jpg IMG_1231.jpg
Changed folding mechanism:
IMG_1232.jpg
Angled drivers:
IMG_1233.jpg
IMG_1234.jpg IMG_1235.jpg IMG_1236.jpg

Headband compared to M-100 Master (left):
IMG_1238.jpg

Cups compared to M-100 Master (top):
IMG_1239.jpg

Pads compared to M-100 Master (bottom):
IMG_1240.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 42
In the meantime I actually received my M-200 and like it quite a bit so far. It does have a much less prominent bass
Good to hear. Last V-MODA I had was swimming in bass.

Apr 1, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 42
So are the cups actually bigger, or do the pads just have bigger cut outs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back