V-MODA M-200: Official Impressions & Reviews Thread
Oct 28, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #121 of 153
Maybe mine has the same problems. The midrange is a completely mess.
Turns out mine had issues, after they tested them, so we're going to try again.

Nov 1, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #122 of 153
Initial impressions from the new pair I was sent:

I wasn't surprised that the tuning for them is "flat", which, to me, sounds a bit bass-light and upper-mid forward (compared to what I called "listening neutral" which is slightly v-shaped compared to speaker-flat/neutral). They extend well into the bass and treble, however. The presentation of the music isn't particularly detailed, though decent enough, and initially I felt that the pads should be a bit bigger, as the moderately strong clamping force was compressing the pads a bit much and muffling the sound, something I noticed was improved by pulling the cups out a bit, so I stretched the headband to reduce the clamp, and that made the improvement I was looking for.

Though it is effectively a non-standard, and I don't know why it was included, I used the 4-pin "balanced" cable with the one device I have here that uses that pinout, the iFi xDSD. Funnily enough, it has a mild bass boost and 3D function, which effectively EQs in just a touch more bass and spaciousness to the music, making the M200 more suitable for general listening.

For what is effectively a set of closed studio monitors, they seem to make for reasonably decent closed-back listening headphones, even if they don't have the most nuanced delivery.

Nov 5, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #123 of 153
Initial impressions from the new pair I was sent:

I wasn't surprised that the tuning for them is "flat", which, to me, sounds a bit bass-light and upper-mid forward (compared to what I called "listening neutral" which is slightly v-shaped compared to speaker-flat/neutral). They extend well into the bass and treble, however. The presentation of the music isn't particularly detailed, though decent enough, and initially I felt that the pads should be a bit bigger, as the moderately strong clamping force was compressing the pads a bit much and muffling the sound, something I noticed was improved by pulling the cups out a bit, so I stretched the headband to reduce the clamp, and that made the improvement I was looking for.

Though it is effectively a non-standard, and I don't know why it was included, I used the 4-pin "balanced" cable with the one device I have here that uses that pinout, the iFi xDSD. Funnily enough, it has a mild bass boost and 3D function, which effectively EQs in just a touch more bass and spaciousness to the music, making the M200 more suitable for general listening.

For what is effectively a set of closed studio monitors, they seem to make for reasonably decent closed-back listening headphones, even if they don't have the most nuanced delivery.

Good to hear the xDSD's 3D function makes some improvements here

I'm happy that a bit bass light sounds more so neutral to me than a slight v does, but yea the touch of upper mid forwardness and the rather dark top end are a bit odd for me.

Tho to be honest I did not perceive or hear these any where close to what the compensated response is... honestly compared to my E-MU Purple Hearts, K371 and my go to for mixing the Ether CX these were noticeably darker and my perception more closely matched the un compensated response... I'm a bit sadden to say these did not hit the mark for me.

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #124 of 153
DSC07722.jpg

The unit I received was a disappointing headphone with an essentially missing upper midrange, and I recommend approaching the M-200 with caution as a result. Though I typically do not comment on the reviews of others, it is worth noting that impressions by other Head-Fiers on the V-Moda M-200 in this thread have been distinctly mixed, and it is possible my unit suffered from a defect.
My full impressions are up on my blog: https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/v-moda-m-200-impressions-ddcc032252cf

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #125 of 153
DSC07722.jpg
The unit I received was a disappointing headphone with an essentially missing upper midrange, and I recommend approaching the M-200 with caution as a result. Though I typically do not comment on the reviews of others, it is worth noting that impressions by other Head-Fiers on the V-Moda M-200 in this thread have been distinctly mixed, and it is possible my unit suffered from a defect.
My full impressions are up on my blog: https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/v-moda-m-200-impressions-ddcc032252cf
Where did you get these faceplates from?

Nov 11, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #128 of 153
It seems like none of us are really the right target for this particular product, and it's possible V-Moda never really knew who to sell this to and this whole conversation helps all parties. We all want to listen to music, while these are most certainly portable mixing headphones -- im legit contemplating a pair for the purpose of monitoring when I record electric guitar tracks, which I'm starting to do more frequently thanks to covid. I don't know the space that well though, so can't compare relative to what's already out there.

I'd like to see a slightly more affordable v2 with deeper pads and more treble sparkle. It'd be an easy purchase decision for me. I also believe that it's equally important that V-Moda give us an entirely new model with a tuning for armchair listening The odd m200 marketing makes it seem like this could be filling that void, but its not at all. Give us the real armchair model.

V-Moda is headed in the right direction. The old vibe worked well for its time, but Roland is doing good by maturing the brand. Please please please make Head-Fi aware with new products down the road.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #130 of 153
It seems like none of us are really the right target for this particular product, and it's possible V-Moda never really knew who to sell this to and this whole conversation helps all parties. We all want to listen to music, while these are most certainly portable mixing headphones -- im legit contemplating a pair for the purpose of monitoring when I record electric guitar tracks, which I'm starting to do more frequently thanks to covid. I don't know the space that well though, so can't compare relative to what's already out there.

I'd like to see a slightly more affordable v2 with deeper pads and more treble sparkle. It'd be an easy purchase decision for me. I also believe that it's equally important that V-Moda give us an entirely new model with a tuning for armchair listening The odd m200 marketing makes it seem like this could be filling that void, but its not at all. Give us the real armchair model.

V-Moda is headed in the right direction. The old vibe worked well for its time, but Roland is doing good by maturing the brand. Please please please make Head-Fi aware with new products down the road.
The impressions doesn't seem consistant. I have no qualms about it's tuning at the pricepoint. HD600 is not a fair comparison as 200 is a closed-back, and 600 has an obvious bass roll-off. I'm fine with it's tonality, and I see what you mean by more treble, but it doesn't seem that off. I have heard plenty plenty of wonky tonality (some much expensive), and can't say I hear with these or fair to nitpick on this one at such pricepoint. I do like the bass presentation, and I don't think it's lacking, but as a closet basshead, more would be fun.

Like Focal Elegia at $900, I'm ready to point out the flaws, with M200 at $350, not the the extent.

With Meze Classic 99, even at $300 I had to pint out it's tonality issue I had. Bass was boomy with a bit much quantity and teble too strong. M200 isn't that off of a tuning.

The only real issue I had was the comfort with being like an onear with the inner grill adhering against my ear. Overtime, this cause discomfort.

I like the isolation as well, and isolation is one important aspect of a closed-back. If they can address the comfort issue by pherhaps expanding the room for the ear, but still keep the same seal and tuning, it would better. I think more pad room will increase sound stage imaging as well.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #131 of 153
It looks like V-Moda is jumping on the ANC bandwagon as well now. I'm sure the product has been in planning for months and the price point selected way back when, but they seem to be priced to undercut the AirPods Max in price. To be honest, if the ANC is half decent these might be worth the asking price. @V-MODA, any word on whether these are tuned/using the same drivers as the current M-200 or if we'll be expecting a different sound? Release looks to be a couple months out.

Edit: sorry for the bit of a bump on the thread.

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #132 of 153
It looks like V-Moda is jumping on the ANC bandwagon as well now. I'm sure the product has been in planning for months and the price point selected way back when, but they seem to be priced to undercut the AirPods Max in price. To be honest, if the ANC is half decent these might be worth the asking price. @V-MODA, any word on whether these are tuned/using the same drivers as the current M-200 or if we'll be expecting a different sound? Release looks to be a couple months out.

Edit: sorry for the bit of a bump on the thread.

Stay tuned for an announcement in the sponsor announcements forum here in a few minutes. :)

Best,

Andrew

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #135 of 153
I bought headphones V-MODA M-200
With the black cable connected to the left ear, the sound is very good, but with the connection to the right ear, I can clearly hear that the sound is slightly different, as if a little clearer in detail and deeper.
Tell me, are the right and left connectors different?
I can hear the difference in sound. The sound is very good both there and there, but in the right connector it is as I described above.
Could it be that there is something wrong with the plug in the left ear? Insufficient contact or something else?
And yet, the connector latch in the right ear is rotated deeper and the plug is held firmly without backlash. And in the left socket, the rotation is shorter and the plug has a slight backlash from moving to the right to the left
Is that how it should be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back