V-MODA M-200: Official Impressions & Reviews Thread
Sep 6, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #62 of 153
Asked about this internally and it looks like we only accept one pair for trade-in with our current Immortal Life Program, the same applies with this offer. Sorry about that!

We actually have larger ear cushions on the M-200 out of the box as the ear cup size has been scaled up as well. Here's a comparison of my M-200 ear cushions vs the cushions on the Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex Edition I have hooked up to my work laptop at the moment. CF2W Codex on the left, M-200 ear cushion on the right.

1599064157588.png

Also we have a graphical size comparison on the XS page on V-MODA.com if it helps:

1599064232236.png

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. :beerchug:
When are the M200 shields available in the UK , Amazon says out of stock and buying direct from VModa isn't an option as the shipping is too much plus we get hit with import tax and duty here.

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #63 of 153
Anyone have opinions/comments on the pad depth of these? I’m tempted to try them, but I get irritated with anything touching my ears. While the cups look large enough, the pads appear to be shallow.
Too shallow for my ears unfortunately. Comfort is not their strength on my head, but this is of course a very personal thing.

Sep 6, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #64 of 153
How's the noise isolation?
Very good.
Anyone have opinions/comments on the pad depth of these? I’m tempted to try them, but I get irritated with anything touching my ears. While the cups look large enough, the pads appear to be shallow.
Not deep at all. But my ears fit inside.

Sep 6, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #65 of 153
I picked these up last week, and I drive them listening to Tidal Hi-Fifi or master encoded tracks through my OPPO HA-2 amp with the balanced cable between the amp and the headphone.

Wow. These cans make everything shine beautifully, and I can hear just about everything in amazing detail.

The Pad size is perfect, and I like the bigger case.

I know the bass has been leveled out in comparison to the m-100s, but I can get a little boost from my amp/dac. I knew what I was buying, and it’s exceeded expectations. Bravo V-Moda and Roland!

Fwiw, once covid goes away and I go back to my corporate office I’m not sure I’ll carry these with: I bought the Sony WH-XM10003s for the noise cancellation. If the next generation of these cans can beat Sony, Bose and Apple for noise cancellation you might top these.

Long story short, these headphones are superb for a home office or home listening session (and obviously sound engineers in a studio).

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #66 of 153
I picked these up last week, and I drive them listening to Tidal Hi-Fifi or master encoded tracks through my OPPO HA-2 amp with the balanced cable between the amp and the headphone.

Wow. These cans make everything shine beautifully, and I can hear just about everything in amazing detail.

The Pad size is perfect, and I like the bigger case.

I know the bass has been leveled out in comparison to the m-100s, but I can get a little boost from my amp/dac. I knew what I was buying, and it’s exceeded expectations. Bravo V-Moda and Roland!

Fwiw, once covid goes away and I go back to my corporate office I’m not sure I’ll carry these with: I bought the Sony WH-XM10003s for the noise cancellation. If the next generation of these cans can beat Sony, Bose and Apple for noise cancellation you might top these.

Long story short, these headphones are superb for a home office or home listening session (and obviously sound engineers in a studio).
Must say, an ANC version of the V-Moda cans would be a very interesting proposition...

Sep 8, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #68 of 153
When are the M200 shields available in the UK , Amazon says out of stock and buying direct from VModa isn't an option as the shipping is too much plus we get hit with import tax and duty here.

Hey ledzep, great question! Sorry for the delay in response over the Labor Day holiday weekend here in the US :)

I'll see if I can't get an answer for you.

-Andrew

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #69 of 153

Hey again Ledzep, actually just got a message from one of my logistics guys (zippy response time!) they said our European office should have more back in stock between mid-late October and then they should be on Amazon hopefully some time in early November.

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #70 of 153
Hey again Ledzep, actually just got a message from one of my logistics guys (zippy response time!) they said our European office should have more back in stock between mid-late October and then they should be on Amazon hopefully some time in early November.
Thanks, looking forward to it.

Sep 9, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #72 of 153
Oh misunderstood the discount, it is 50% of the current value of your set, not the price of the new pair, sorry for my misunderstanding..

Yeah, I read it wrong as well. I sent in my LP2 and received a coupon for $75 off. I should've just used the head-fi discount and gotten 20% ($70) off and I would still have my LP2, plus the cost to ship them to V-Moda. :head_bandage:

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #73 of 153
received the M 200 today so I'll share my initial impressions, but I recognize some burn-in may be in order. Comfort is not outstanding, but it is reasonable. My ears are not particularly large but I would still classify this as an on-ear headphone as my lobes don't fit completely within the opening. depth of ear pad isn't a problem for me but they aren't particularly deep. I guess for a portable, these headphones are a good compromise in terms of size. clamping force is just about right for me.

Sound isolation seems to be pretty good. I was surprised.

Overall, tonal quality is good and sound is pretty natural. Vocals are slightly forward, but not in a bothersome way. I rather like it. Overall balance seems okay but I would not call these completely neutral. i feel the vocals are pleasing but maybe slightly rolled off. The upper frequencies of the voice seem very slightly reduced. So while the vocals may be slightly forward/intimate, they do not sound as clear to me as they should. Also, I don't necessarily feel the treble is rolled off too much, but they do lack sparkle and ultimate clarity. Note, I am not looking for bright treble but I do feel it lacks slightly. Bass seems reasonably tight and of good quality. I am not a bass-head but I do like balanced quality bass and while this isn't going to compete with mega-buck headphones in terms of how low the bass goes or in terms of slam and PRAT, I am quite satisfied with the amount of bass and midbass, though I would possibly prefer just a little more. I would really need to listen more and do some comparisons before drawing any further conclusions about bass.

One thing i do think they get right - the lower midrange is not artificially boosted like some audiophile headphones seem to do. This balance is appreciated, though perhaps I would like a touch more upper midrange / lower treble - this would possibly help address my comment on rolled off vocals, less-than-perfect clarity, and lack of sparkle.

Sensitivity seems fine. I am able to listen comfortably out of my Samsung Note 10.

Size of sound seems reasonably good. Imaging seems fine. Separation is average, maybe slightly above.

Resolution is average to slightly above and while it lacks the highest level of clarity and i would not characterize the sound as sharp or crisp, I also wouldn't characterize it as overly rounded or soft. It is relatively satisfying in these terms unless you are used to high-end flagships costing considerably more.

One thing I was disappointed with - I ordered custom shields and did not receive them. I'm sure that will be worked out. Another thing - the cable goes into one ear and is too short for my liking. it's fine for portability, but I would like a longer cable included so that I may comfortably listen in my home system. not sure whether cable is proprietary but I certainly cannot use my other cables cause it goes into only one cup.

update 9/23 - custom shields were included but found separately at bottom of shipping box in brown wrapping paper,

update 9/26 - after further listening, i take back my comment about sounding natural. To my ears, I hear a fairly noticeable coloration in the midrange. It's not just boosted, but done so in a way that sounds unnatural, almost wonky ...if that's a word.

In conclusion, if you have megabuck flagship headphones and expect this to compete I think you would be mildly disappointed. But I am not of the mind that one should expect these to compete with Final Audio D8000, Hifiman Susvara's, Focal Utopia's , etc. These headphones are a fraction of the price, serve a different purpose (portability) and are enjoyable in their own right. Quality of build and sound seem quite good and represent a significant value.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #74 of 153
The M200 takes some time to adjust and de-program from other headphone sound signatures. Once you do, you will find it a 'neutral' sounding headphone that gives you what is there without editorializing. I didn't like the bass and midrange at first but then grew to understand just what was intended with the voicing. The lack of overemphasis and mud in the upper bass was welcomed, as it cleared a spot for midrange detail to come through unimpeded. The M200 is a success IMO.

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #75 of 153
@AndrewY Hi, we noticed you are using 3.5mm balanced connector on your M-200. Please is this connector compatible with new 3.5Pro standard? Asking due to compatibility with our players.

Thanks

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back