V-MODA M-200: Official Impressions & Reviews Thread
Sep 2, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #46 of 153
Until the day, if it ever comes, when V-Moda releases a model with sizable ear cups (beyond the XLs, they don't cut it), they'll remain out of my consideration. Too bad.

Sep 2, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #47 of 153
@AndrewY is it possible to send in more than one headphone in the same package as part of the Immortal Life Program? I’m considering upgrading my entire V-Moda collection.

Asked about this internally and it looks like we only accept one pair for trade-in with our current Immortal Life Program, the same applies with this offer. Sorry about that!

Until the day, if it ever comes, when V-Moda releases a model with sizable ear cups (beyond the XLs, they don't cut it), they'll remain out of my consideration. Too bad.

We actually have larger ear cushions on the M-200 out of the box as the ear cup size has been scaled up as well. Here's a comparison of my M-200 ear cushions vs the cushions on the Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex Edition I have hooked up to my work laptop at the moment. CF2W Codex on the left, M-200 ear cushion on the right.

1599064157588.png

Also we have a graphical size comparison on the XS page on V-MODA.com if it helps:

1599064232236.png

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #48 of 153
Thanks for the video. A nice metal construction V-Moda with 'flat' response? I'm sold. Ordered on on Amazon.ca. I liked the M100 but for the overwhelming bass and bit of a scooped-out mid.

Sep 2, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #49 of 153
Owned the M100 with the XL pads for a good while, used it on the train everyday then someday I sold it out of whatever madness drove me. The early rise in bass for nothing for @home but it countered trains and buses very well.

Very curious about these.

Sep 3, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #50 of 153
Asked about this internally and it looks like we only accept one pair for trade-in with our current Immortal Life Program, the same applies with this offer. Sorry about that!

We actually have larger ear cushions on the M-200 out of the box as the ear cup size has been scaled up as well. Here's a comparison of my M-200 ear cushions vs the cushions on the Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex Edition I have hooked up to my work laptop at the moment. CF2W Codex on the left, M-200 ear cushion on the right.

1599064157588.png

Also we have a graphical size comparison on the XS page on V-MODA.com if it helps:

1599064232236.png

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. :beerchug:
Good to know, I'll check them out, thanks!

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #51 of 153
Thanks for the video. A nice metal construction V-Moda with 'flat' response? I'm sold. Ordered on on Amazon.ca. I liked the M100 but for the overwhelming bass and bit of a scooped-out mid.
The M200 arrived yesterday. No more overwhelming bass and scooped-out mids. In fact, it might be the exact opposite now.

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #53 of 153
No

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #54 of 153
Quick impressions:

I think these achieve exactly what they set out to do. They’re well built and the full audio spectrum is very much all there. They do strike me as a signature that many audiophiles and headphone enthusiasts would enjoy in a highly portable, light and efficient product.

I am one of the people who generally prefers a Harman-esque tuning. My 2 favorite non Harman brands doing similarly forumulated tunings are Audeze(w/ Reveal) and Bose.

These have a bit less bass than the AKG371 but it is very clean and extended bass. The Harman oriented listener may find these to have a bit more of a mids emphasized flavor by comparison. I think that choosing between the two for mastering would come down to philosophical approach to a mastering workflow.

I think my overall experience is that I would prefer the Harman type tuning for a reference mastering headphone but can certainly see these having a solid fan base here and in some studios.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #55 of 153
Quick impressions:

I think these achieve exactly what they set out to do. They’re well built and the full audio spectrum is very much all there. They do strike me as a signature that many audiophiles and headphone enthusiasts would enjoy in a highly portable, light and efficient product.

I am one of the people who generally prefers a Harman-esque tuning. My 2 favorite non Harman brands doing similarly forumulated tunings are Audeze(w/ Reveal) and Bose.

These have a bit less bass than the AKG371 but it is very clean and extended bass. The Harman oriented listener may find these to have a bit more of a mids emphasized flavor by comparison. I think that choosing between the two for mastering would come down to philosophical approach to a mastering workflow.

I think my overall experience is that I would prefer the Harman type tuning for a reference mastering headphone but can certainly see these having a solid fan base here and in some studios.
I'm hearing a significant scooped out upper bass/lower mid. And it is obvious when I sweep low to high low frequencie tones through them.....80 to 300hZ gets significantly lower in level. In comparison, all my other phones sound way too warm in that area, even the HD600. If the M200 is 'right', are all the others wrong? The M200 has mid and upper bass clarity but to my ears lacks foundation there. Vocals have mouths but lack 'chest'. Funny thing is, it seems to change...sometimes it's not so bad, sometimes it sounds just right, and other times it's very obvious and disturbing.

But if they are designed to 'hear into' recordings and mixes to hear exactly what is there, then I guess they are doing their job. And they are such fun. Music has verve, dynamics, depth, space. No mud or romantic tendencies. But again, that they sound so different from my other headphones does make me wonder...

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #56 of 153
I'm hearing a significant scooped out upper bass/lower mid. And it is obvious when I sweep low to high low frequencie tones through them.....80 to 300hZ gets significantly lower in level. In comparison, all my other phones sound way too warm in that area, even the HD600. If the M200 is 'right', are all the others wrong? The M200 has mid and upper bass clarity but to my ears lacks foundation there. Vocals have mouths but lack 'chest'. Funny thing is, it seems to change...sometimes it's not so bad, sometimes it sounds just right, and other times it's very obvious and disturbing.

But if they are designed to 'hear into' recordings and mixes to hear exactly what is there, then I guess they are doing their job. And they are such fun. Music has verve, dynamics, depth, space. No mud or romantic tendencies. But again, that they sound so different from my other headphones does make me wonder...

Curious if you have spent a significant amount of time in music performance/production?

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #57 of 153
Some, a while back. Not a lot. Mostly recording. .

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #58 of 153
Anyone have opinions/comments on the pad depth of these? I’m tempted to try them, but I get irritated with anything touching my ears. While the cups look large enough, the pads appear to be shallow.

Sep 5, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #59 of 153
I haven't had a chance to spend much time with mine, but the pads are not very deep. My ears have just enough clearance that they don't brush up against the driver covering. The fit is cozy, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back