V-MODA M-200: Official Impressions & Reviews Thread
Jun 8, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #136 of 153
I bought headphones V-MODA M-200
With the black cable connected to the left ear, the sound is very good, but with the connection to the right ear, I can clearly hear that the sound is slightly different, as if a little clearer in detail and deeper.
Tell me, are the right and left connectors different?
I can hear the difference in sound. The sound is very good both there and there, but in the right connector it is as I described above.
Could it be that there is something wrong with the plug in the left ear? Insufficient contact or something else?
And yet, the connector latch in the right ear is rotated deeper and the plug is held firmly without backlash. And in the left socket, the rotation is shorter and the plug has a slight backlash from moving to the right to the left
Is that how it should be?
Doesn't sound right to me... I'd expect bot sockets to feel the same, and of course there should not be differences sound when connecting to one or the other socket. Could you try out another pair at your dealer maybe?

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #137 of 153
I bought headphones V-MODA M-200
With the black cable connected to the left ear, the sound is very good, but with the connection to the right ear, I can clearly hear that the sound is slightly different, as if a little clearer in detail and deeper.
Tell me, are the right and left connectors different?
I can hear the difference in sound. The sound is very good both there and there, but in the right connector it is as I described above.
Could it be that there is something wrong with the plug in the left ear? Insufficient contact or something else?
And yet, the connector latch in the right ear is rotated deeper and the plug is held firmly without backlash. And in the left socket, the rotation is shorter and the plug has a slight backlash from moving to the right to the left
Is that how it should be?
I had issue with blak cable. Use the orange one. I think the balck one is balanced connector if I'm not mistaken. Somwthing weird like 3.5mm balanced, which isn't common.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #138 of 153
Since our inception in 2004, V-MODA has been committed to developing and delivering high-end, high resolution audio experiences through headphones in our own unique style. Often, that means experimenting with new hardware and methodologies to integrate with our engineering and design practices. This was true of V-MODA in 2004 and it remains true today, now with a turbo-boost thanks to our partnership with Roland.

With the M-200, we developed an entirely new sound profile compared to what we had typically built our headphones around: Live performance sound, the club DJ experience, real power and adrenaline. M-200 was our response to what music is becoming now: DJs are no longer just live performers but are also often the producers behind their own music, and they need the right tool for that production process. For this type of sound profile, we needed to build something new with more of a studio production focus specifically for sound monitoring, recording and mixing process. What we got was truly extraordinary, even by our standards. M-200 possesses a frequency curve that projects higher resolution audio than previous generations of V-MODA headphones but not as it is measured from ‘on’ the ear; This is as perceived from within the ear, resulting in clearer audio and pristine accuracy which set it apart.

Graph showing M-200 right ear frequency response in white and compensated HATS frequency response in red.
Graph showing M-200 left ear frequency response in white and compensated HATS frequency response in magenta.
The magenta & red lines represent the compensated frequency response as measured from within the ear.
Beyond paying attention to the frequency curve our headphones respond to, we also look at four other key areas when tuning our hardware: positioning (panning), dynamics such as volume and sensitivity, reverb (taking into account things like room size or distance from potential microphones), and the listening point, which, for M-200, is about ½ inch from between the listener’s eyebrows.

What about the comfort aspect, you might ask; And practicality? I mean, a headphone is a whole sensorial experience, especially when you’re using it as a serious tool, so almost just as much attention must be paid to the design upgrades, right?

Right. Longer music production sessions naturally demand that a headphone be comfortable and practical – there’s no point in having something sound amazing if you can only stand to have it on your head for 20 minutes. That’s why, with the M-200, we took our classic V-MODA shapes and re-engineered them for studio use. The headband? The same sturdy yet flexible metal core, but now it’s just that little bit wider to more evenly distribute weight. Larger ear cups similarly relieve pressure and contribute to the lack of any single pressure point forming.

Image of M-200 with the cushion removed showing the tilted hi-res ccaw coil 50mm dynamic drivers.
Tilted for your listening pleasure.

We also heard you like magnets and memory foam. So, we put some magnets and memory foam together to create our new, larger replaceable memory foam magnetic ear cushions with a 100% PU leather coating to add to the M-200’s incredibly comfortable fit. We even angled them ever so slightly to make sure that they fit ergonomically to the curvature of your head. Remove the cushions and you’ll see our similarly angled driver, tilted at exactly the right degree to ensure that sound flows directly into your ear with minimal obstacles. We stayed up at night thinking about the M-200’s design. Do you know why? Because details matter. Details make your experience better.

m100_master_vs_m200_condensed-new-logo.jpg
Form factor & feature comparison overview; M-100 Master vs M-200

We once again want to thank you all for the warm welcome back - we missed being more involved with this community and we’re excited to be a part of it once again. We look forward to reading your comments and feedback as well as seeing awesome photos of your audio gear.

The V-MODA Team

UPDATE (28 September, 2020):
Hello, I'm interested in purchasing the M-200. However, the balanced cable that comes with the M-200 appears to be 3.5mm while my player only has 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced outputs. I have also checked your website's accessories page, but I don't see any 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced cable either. Will V-Moda ever produce such cables? And if yes, when will they be available? Thank you :)

Jun 16, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #143 of 153
Those would work with all their other over ear headphones, but the M-200 uses a new system where the pads attach magnetically, so the ones in the link likely wouldn't work (and the M-200 aren't listed as compatible).
Might be useful to also email them as well.

Jun 18, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #145 of 153
I haven't received a reply to my email, so I tried the contact form on their website, in case my email hadn't passed through their spam filters.
Using the contact form, I received a reply in a few hours:

Thanks for the message. As the M-200 is still a fairly recent release, it will take a minute for them to have the same level of accessories available as we have for our Crossfade series. To be the first to know about any new accessories, we’d recommend signing up to the V-MODA newsletter.

The V-MODA Team

Considering they've been on the market for almost a year, I'm somewhat concerned whether the pads are ever going to be sold.

Has anyone managed to use third party pads with their M-200? There isn't much grip space on the cups themselves for third party pads, but maybe some would work.
What it'd do to the sound, though... :thinking:

Jun 18, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #146 of 153
I haven't received a reply to my email, so I tried the contact form on their website, in case my email hadn't passed through their spam filters.
Using the contact form, I received a reply in a few hours:

Considering they've been on the market for almost a year, I'm somewhat concerned whether the pads are ever going to be sold.

Has anyone managed to use third party pads with their M-200? There isn't much grip space on the cups themselves for third party pads, but maybe some would work.
That’s very unfortunate to hear. Very concerning actually.

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #147 of 153

Your best bet for 3rd party pads would probably be strips of adhesive around the edge of the cup, just have to make sure it forms a good seal but isn't too strong to remove. Maybe one of those reusable adhesives?

Jun 19, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #148 of 153
Your best bet for 3rd party pads would probably be strips of adhesive around the edge of the cup, just have to make sure it forms a good seal but isn't too strong to remove. Maybe one of those reusable adhesives?
Good thought, cheers.
I'd still prefer having genuine accessories from the manufacturer, but perhaps using double sided tape or stick-on velcro with the XL pads would work well enough.

Jun 27, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #149 of 153
Does the leather still tear as much as on the M100 and XS? Those headphones pretty much dropped leather flakes all over my room when I had them for a few months.

Jun 29, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #150 of 153
Despite the lack of consumable accessories (ear pads, headband padding) for it, I ordered a pair. It arrived today and now they're in a box ready to be returned tomorrow.

The build quality is very nice, the compactness when folded is excellent. The angled pads that are on them seem to be memory foam, but there's so little foam that I was surprised I got a seal. Despite that, comfort wasn't too bad.
However, when I started playing music, I almost started a return request right away. Bass is nice, well articulated and goes deep enough in the music I listen to.
However, vocals had a very weird character - very boxy, somewhat recessed and kind of veiled, in every recording I listened to where no other headphones exhibited the behaviour (M-Audio HDH50, Sennheiser HD600, AKG K275, modded Beyerdynamic Custom Studio). It seemed really unnatural and I couldn't take it for more than a few songs at a time.
After I boxed them again, I thought I might as well play with pads a little.
The stock pads were really easy to take off. A bit too easy, actually. I managed to take them off without really intending it on one occasion.
As it turned out, the PU leather Brainwavz ear pads almost solved the issue with vocals, but they made the headphones brighter than I liked. They were rather difficult to put on, and I still hadn't been quite confident they'd stay on when moving about a good deal. Had I felt confident they'd stay on, I might've played with them a bit more and would have probably kept the headphones.

V-Moda/Roland, it would be great if you could drop the custom pad mounting mechanisms - what Sony has on their monitoring headphones (e.g. MDR-M1ST, MDR-7506...) or Beyerdynamic has on their DT770/Custom Studio is secure and makes pad changes very easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back