V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews.
Sep 30, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #151 of 925
Quote:

Wow.  Troll much?  I don't KNOW that they will be worth $299, but it is certainly reasonable to consider it a possibility.  Also, you can't conclude that the M-100 is not "worth that" just because another headphone that you like is priced a little bit lower.  Worth is not calculated relative to other models of headphones.  Value, maybe.  Worth is calculated based on an individuals willingness to pay for something, or on the cost of the raw materials and labor required to build something.  It is clear that you have already concluded that this headphone is not worth much to you.  Given that you likely have not heard one yet, this just makes you look like a fool.  Overall, I would say that an audiophile-leaning, presumably well-made circumaural headphone priced at $299 is on the lower end of what most would consider the average price.  

Well said.

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #152 of 925
Let me clarify. I like the M-80, quite a lot. However, the DT1350 just gives you so much more, and I don't see the M-100 being that much better than the M-80 to justify a $100 price hike.

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #154 of 925
Beyer fanboyism at its best. Already putting down another headphone before it's even come out yet. lol Unbelievable.

Having owned both the DTs and the M-80 I'll give some of my thoughts while we're on the subject. These cans are, first of all, for very different purposes. The DTs are a recording tool while the M-80 is a headphone you can groove to and to my ears, are more engaging.

I agree with Robble - voices on the DTs are wonderful. Detail, instrument separation, and bass extension - also out of this world (and honestly, at the price, $100 more than the M-80 it should be out of this world). However, to my ears the headphones themselves, especially when out in portable use, are a bit lifeless/dull. It's a good can to listen to at home. I'm not sure if I really want that in a portable can used in loud environments. Not to mention, while the bass is bottomless, there is hardly real impact to the bass.

This is where the M-80 comes in. The M-80 is pretty balanced and neutral across the board. At $100 less and not being a recording tool, it doesn't have the clear-cut separation the DTs have. However, it still has very good separation, detail, imaging IMO is actually better on this headphone, and the decay of instruments are more natural than that of the DTs. Mids are liquid smooth and highs are also smooth with decent extension.

Here's the funny thing about these two headphones - they could be siblings. They're both warm - one is musically superior while the other is technically superior. To my ears, they're very much on par with each other. But I already chose which one to stay with and that was the M-80.

Having said all this, I think it's just plain wrong, especially in this hobby, to discount any headphone before it comes out. The M-100 has already been said to be in a similar league with the Ultrasone Sig Pro. Not worth $299? You're probably right. The M-100 appears to be a can that will be worth much more. We'll just have to wait and see.

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #156 of 925
Quote:
Let me clarify. I like the M-80, quite a lot. However, the DT1350 just gives you so much more, and I don't see the M-100 being that much better than the M-80 to justify a $100 price hike.

You clarified that in your last edit of your last post, but ultimately, as others have mentioned, it'll come down to user preference. While I have no problems with the comfort of the DT1350's, some people are not going to enjoy its supraaural super clamp force fit. The soundstage is not nearly as great as you mentioned (but that's the case with most supraaural headphones), and there are some QC issues that Purrin has run into.

M-100's. Circumaural, and sound once someone posts a review of it. Its sound signature will most likely sound similar to the M80's, but the larger room and a different driver does give a good chance that it'll differ from the M80's. Will they be worth the money? Only time will tell.

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #158 of 925
Quote:
You clarified that in your last edit of your last post, but ultimately, as others have mentioned, it'll come down to user preference. While I have no problems with the comfort of the DT1350's, some people are not going to enjoy its supraaural super clamp force fit. The soundstage is not nearly as great as you mentioned (but that's the case with most supraaural headphones), and there are some QC issues that Purrin has run into.

M-100's. Circumaural, and sound once someone posts a review of it. Its sound signature will most likely sound similar to the M80's, but the larger room and a different driver does give a good chance that it'll differ from the M80's. Will they be worth the money? Only time will tell.

Agreed.

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #159 of 925
Quote:
To say a headphone will not be worth the price before it comes out is pretty unreasonable if you ask me. Hear them and then put your 2 cents in.

I fully agree. Roma knows I like the 1350s more than he does, but I'm very interested in hearing these new V-Modas. I didn't quite have enough interest to try the 80s, but I've read a few articles on the owner (Val?) and I like the approach he takes with his company. Definitely hoping to give a listen to these beauties in the near future. 

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #161 of 925
I don't know how some1 can base it's expectations so strongly on a previous headphone, M80 uses 40mm drivers, the M100 are newly developed 50mm drivers and gone through extensive tuning based on lots of people's testimonials both from audiophiles to DJs to producers to consumers. 

We might as well compare Beyerdynamic DT1350 vs Hifiman HE-500 and base our expectations on a, that's just as reasonable. In my mind I've always had this feeling the M100 might surpass the $299 pricepoint in SQ even and thought $299 looked rather on the cheap side but that's also silly view of a headphone prelaunch, let's just wait for the reviews shall we. ^^

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #162 of 925
Quote:

I fully agree. Roma knows I like the 1350s more than she does, but I'm very interested in hearing these new V-Modas. I didn't quite have enough interest to try the 80s, but I've read a few articles on the owner (Val?) and I like the approach he takes with his company. Definitely hoping to give a listen to these beauties in the near future. 

:) Honestly, after being used to the detail retrieval you get from the DTs, you might be slightly underwhelmed by the M-80. Again it does have very good separation but maybe not at the level as the DTs. I would say they're nice complement when you just want to let go and groove to your music. It depends on what your preferences are and usually anyone who loves the DTs, can find that instrument separation (Mike at headfonia came up with a nice analogy - some quick, sharp cutting Japanese knives cutting up all the details) pretty addicting. I know I did. 

Personally, Focker (I still love that this is your username), I think you should wait for the M-100. I'm very hopeful about them. I agree with RPGWizard also - this is a whole new headphone which has went through extensive tuning to reach the final product.  

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #164 of 925
Quote:

:) Honestly, after being used to the detail retrieval you get from the DTs, you might be slightly underwhelmed by the M-80. Again it does have very good separation but maybe not at the level as the DTs. I would say they're nice complement when you just want to let go and groove to your music. It depends on what your preferences are and usually anyone who loves the DTs, can find that instrument separation (Mike at headfonia came up with a nice analogy - some quick, sharp cutting Japanese knives cutting up all the details) pretty addicting. I know I did. 

Personally, Focker (I still love that this is your username), I think you should wait for the M-100. I'm very hopeful about them. I agree with RPGWizard also - this is a whole new headphone which has went through extensive tuning to reach the final product.  

lol, yeah I've sort of adopted the Focker persona since I connected with the character so much. 

Love the look of those 100s in black 
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #165 of 925
Me too. And for the first time I've thought about getting some extra shields to go with them. I'm thinking Matte Black with some gunmetal shields would be pretty killer :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back