V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 6, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #15,856 of 23,366
Quote:
Happy?
smily_headphones1.gif

Hahaha :wink:

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #15,860 of 23,366
With all the r&D put into the earpads, materials and manufacture process, and assuredly niche market, I was assuming V-MODA would need to recoup costs and the MSRP would be like $40 for a pair. AKG full-size pads are like $60 USD, I think.

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #15,863 of 23,366
Quote:
Looks quite complicated to manufacture... and changes the looks of the M-100 quite a bit. Not sure yet if thats good as I really like their original design. I guess they won't fit in their case with these pads. On the other hand I don't use the case that often...

If it weren't for the laborious R&D/time/money involved, I'd say that V-Moda should redesign a second version of their case to go with the XLs and charge for that version accordingly. 

Val mentioned that the M100's pads weren't really designed to be changed regularly, and the experiences of other users seem to have borne that out.  I'd still like to wear my headphones on the street, which means I'd need to be able to use a case, but I'd also appreciate the comfort of the new pads, which could mean having to put the case aside permanently. 

I'd hate to have to choose between portability and comfort without being able to switch again, but could that be the situation with which we're faced.

Here's something I'd love to see re the next higher-end model of V-Moda headphones:

An ingenious and swift solution to changing the pads -- one that would be built into the design. 

Now that Val knows a fair number of headphone buyers eventually choose their mainstays for comfort as well as style and sound -- and that comfort can be very different from person to person -- perhaps he'll apply his team's design ingenuity to detachable pads as well as shields, cables and folding mechanisms.  That way, the user could customize not only the look but the feel of their headphones, which could become a whole new level of luxury in the luxury market. It's also the logical extension of the idea of different tips for IEMs.

Having two or three sets of easily switchable pads could also allow the headphones to become an outfit for one's skull -- one with functional accessories -- smaller pads for smaller bags and summer days, etc.  We often use different pads from different companies, but this would all come from one company, and would solve the issue of finding comfortable pads for earcups that have an anomalous shape.

With feel customization comes sound modification as well, which would be another level of options for the V-Moda customer.

Here's another issue:

The most comfortable earpads often look a tad ridiculous. The great thing to do would be to design all the pads so that they not only felt and sounded good but looked good on the user, albeit in different ways. 

But that would a decision for V-Moda to make:  Whether to try to do it all or focus on two out of three elements.

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #15,864 of 23,366
... and would maybe even end the demanding threats of not being willing to pay for new pads as the headphone should already have fit in their first generation :wink:

Definitely a good idea. And, I could imagine, a kind of problem Val would be interested in solving. Yes, his mention of the pads not being designed to be changed often made me hesitate as well... and I'm quite content with the existing pads. Would nevertheless be an interesting feature for a future generation of the M-100.

Maybe the XL pads are even soft enough to fit into the existing case, but as they are angled it might be a bit complicated to get the headphone in position to close the zipper. I'm still not worried without a case as they are robust enough for normal days in my bag. I use the case mainly when putting them in my production bag together with lots of cables and small devices like soundcards etc. -- that might rip the pads otherwise.

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #15,865 of 23,366
Hmm...i've got $400 and am thinking of getting a pair of these. Want to know though, how big are the pads compared to the momentum? The momentum's pads are really comfortable for me, and i'm thinking of getting the m100 as a complement sound signature wise.

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #15,866 of 23,366
Quote:
Hmm...i've got $400 and am thinking of getting a pair of these. Want to know though, how big are the pads compared to the momentum? The momentum's pads are really comfortable for me, and i'm thinking of getting the m100 as a complement sound signature wise.

Then you will have no problem, as the inner dimensions of the M-100 is even bigger than the Momentum.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #15,867 of 23,366
With all the r&D put into the earpads, materials and manufacture process, and assuredly niche market, I was assuming V-MODA would need to recoup costs and the MSRP would be like $40 for a pair. AKG full-size pads are like $60 USD, I think.

Which brings us to an interesting point which is: should the xl pads work (increased comfort w/o adversely affecting the sq) would v-moda ship new units with only the xl pads? That would make the most sense, surely. If that's the case, the price of these may be lower than we anticipate.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #15,868 of 23,366
Quote:
Which brings us to an interesting point which is: should the xl pads work (increased comfort w/o adversely affecting the sq) would v-moda ship new units with only the xl pads? That would make the most sense, surely. If that's the case, the price of these may be lower than we anticipate.

The stock pad is fine for most people, and the XL pad is a nice option but should not be stock.  However, what V-MODA should do is to list the BoomPro Mic, CoilPro Cable, and the XL pad as options along with the custom shields, that way when you order you get to pick which one of four you want the most for the bundle.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #15,869 of 23,366
The stock pad is fine for most people, and the XL pad is a nice option but should not be stock.  However, what V-MODA should do is to list the BoomPro Mic, CoilPro Cable, and the XL pad as options along with the custom shields, that way when you order you get to pick which one of four you want the most for the bundle.

Yeah, but if it fits more people... then it's only logical...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back