V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #14,356 of 23,366
Quote:
Umm I can't believe what I'm hearing from this dynamat tape mod... The veil has been lifted from my lp2s I will do the mod on the m100now. By puting dynamat on the driver plate it somehow made the bass tighter and the mids come out of nowhere and much better sparkle on the highs. I keep switching my lp2to the m100 back and forth and I hate to say but all these mods have made my lp2 better and more balanced than my m100.... Which means I might get the same effect when I do this to the m100

That's hilarious. The only thing I disliked about the LP's was the bloaty, prominent bass. I actually preferred the mids of the LP's over the M-100's. I'll have to call my friend back to see if he still has those headphones with him
smile.gif

May 6, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #14,357 of 23,366
Ok..

I again tried the v-moda m-100 and the v-moda m-80 together to compare with classical music.

My intital analysis remains the same. The M-100 is much much more flat than the M-80. The M-100's bass is much more well-controlled, balanced and much less muddy. It's there when it's supposed to be and nowhere in sight when it's not supposed to be.

The highs on the M-100 is very crisp, non-fatiguing and not harsh at all. The mids are anything but laid back. The are very clear and present. The soundstage is very very wide, extremely detailed and the sound feels very natural and uncompressed. You really feel like the orchestra was live.

The M-80 on the other hands had it's bass slightly leaking into the mid range and the highs were rolled off. The sound stage was very little and quite narrow to be honest. The bass was not well-controlled and balanced. Too much bass. The sound was also feeling compressed compared to the M-100 and a bit artificial to be honest.  Instrument reproduction and seperation also was lackluster on the M-80 whereas on the M-100 it was EXTREMELY EXCELLENT. Violins on the M-100 are completely beautifully reproduced with such accuracy, crispness and natural feel.

I have compared these headphones to multiple different classical well-recorded tracks of beethoven, bach, mozart and shostakovich. I have switched each one MULTIPLE times and listened with focus carefully. I made sure each of the headphones were worn properly on my head. They were also compared unamped vs amped. I even gave the M-80's the benefit of the doubt and did one comparison with them amped while the M-100 had no amp because many an amp makes them sound flat.

I have arrived to this conclusion...

M-100's are a far far superior headphone than the M-80 (not that those are bad headphones; they are also very good) in terms of flat response, sound stage, sound quality, highs, mids, bass, instrument reproduction and seperation. 

And it is reflected both in the price and the amount of time/research & development spent by Val Kolton than any other headphone produced by V-Moda. 

This is just my honest, objective and critical comparison analysis of both headphones. I really don't know why some prefer the M-80 over the M-100. Maybe their is still some audio science research that needs to be underway which will explain this bizzare phenomenon in the future.

I think I am doing a service bygoing against the grain viewpoint about these headphones being less flat than the M-80 and honestly feeling that they are far far more flatter and better sounding.
And expressing that viewpoint despite how others may not get my viewpoint...

Because than it opens questions to more research on to audio science and how sound can be percieved differently.

I also take very good care of my ear and hearing and have excellent hearing. So I know I am not hearing impaired and that's why I am maybe completely wrong.

May 6, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #14,358 of 23,366
Quote:
Ok..

I again tried the v-moda m-100 and the v-moda m-80 together to compare with classical music.

My intital analysis remains the same. The M-100 is much much more flat than the M-80. The M-100's bass is much more well-controlled, balanced and much less muddy. It's there when it's supposed to be and nowhere in sight when it's not supposed to be.

The highs on the M-100 is very crisp, non-fatiguing and not harsh at all. The mids are anything but laid back. The are very clear and present. The soundstage is very very wide, extremely detailed and the sound feels very natural and uncompressed. You really feel like the orchestra was live.

The M-80 on the other hands had it's bass slightly leaking into the mid range and the highs were rolled off. The sound stage was very little and quite narrow to be honest. The bass was not well-controlled and balanced. Too much bass. The sound was also feeling compressed compared to the M-100 and a bit artificial to be honest.  Instrument reproduction and seperation also was lackluster on the M-80 whereas on the M-100 it was EXTREMELY EXCELLENT. Violins on the M-100 are completely beautifully reproduced with such accuracy, crispness and natural feel.

I have compared these headphones to multiple different classical well-recorded tracks of beethoven, bach, mozart and shostakovich. I have switched each one MULTIPLE times and listened with focus carefully. I made sure each of the headphones were worn properly on my head. They were also compared unamped vs amped. I even gave the M-80's the benefit of the doubt and did one comparison with them amped while the M-100 had no amp because many an amp makes them sound flat.

M-100's are a far far superior headphone than the M-80 (not that those are bad headphones; they are also very good) in terms of flat response, sound stage, sound quality, highs, mids, bass, instrument reproduction and seperation. 

And it is reflected both in the price and the amount of time/research & development spent by Val Kolton than any other headphone produced by V-Moda. 

This is just my honest, objective and critical comparison analysis of both headphones. I really don't know why some prefer the M-80 over the M-100. Maybe their is still some audio science research that needs to be underway which will explain this bizzare phenomenon in the future.

I think I am doing a service bygoing against the grain viewpoint about these headphones being less flat than the M-80 and honestly feeling that they are far far more flatter and better sounding.
And expressing that viewpoint despite how others may not get my viewpoint...

Because than it opens questions to more research on to audio science and how sound can be percieved differently.

I also take very good care of my ear and hearing and have excellent hearing. So I know I am not hearing impaired and that's why I am maybe completely wrong.

Flat? Flat? FLAT??!!! Sir, your ears are decieving you. The M-100 is not flat.. AT ALL. 

May 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #14,360 of 23,366
Ok..

And it is reflected both in the price and the amount of time/research

Flat? Flat? FLAT??!!! Sir, your ears are decieving you. The M-100 is not flat.. AT ALL. 

+1
They are definitely not "flat". Try an LCD-2, Stax Lambda Signature or SR-007, or even an HE-500 with a 9-10 kHz reducing EQ and you've got a "flat" sound.

If you think the mids are not laid back, then I have to wonder what you'll think of them after hearing a pair of LCD-2's or HE-500; likewise for the soundstage width. :/

May 6, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #14,361 of 23,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know if I would say the M-100 is worth twice the price of the M-80...

I don't think it is, however, SQ is not everything. The M-100 packaging is better than the M-80s (IMO) and I prefer the larger earcups as well.

I was able to get my M-100s used in new condition for $200 so that was the clincher.

May 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #14,362 of 23,366
Quote:

His flat comment is being taken out of context.  Audioutte is saying flat compared to the M-80.  Anyone following this thread knows I am the M-100's biggest fan and I believe his comments in his most recent comparison are spot-on, especially compared to the M-80.

May 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #14,364 of 23,366
Are the ear cups on all the V-Moda phones the same size? I've got Crossfades and it looks like the M-100 is slightly larger. Come on XL cups!

May 7, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #14,366 of 23,366
Quote:
Can anyone give me some ideas for shields for my matte black M-100? They now have all the colors in stock and I want to customize mine but I have no idea what colors would look good with the black!

Orange or gold look quite nice from what people have posted here. Red, blue, or green also look nice, but I think orange or gold stand out the most.

Quote:
Are the ear cups on all the V-Moda phones the same size? I've got Crossfades and it looks like the M-100 is slightly larger. Come on XL cups!

My LP/LP2 pads are slightly smaller than that of the M-100's yes. They can still fit on the M-100 though. Also, the colour of the earpad makes a difference from my experience; the white silver grey ones are puffier and softer whereas the matte black black ones are much stiffer in comparison.

May 7, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #14,368 of 23,366
Quote:
His flat comment is being taken out of context.  Audioutte is saying flat compared to the M-80.  Anyone following this thread knows I am the M-100's biggest fan and I believe his comments in his most recent comparison are spot-on, especially compared to the M-80.

There may be headphones which may make the M-100 seem like flat. The M-80 is not one of them... Futile discussion IMO.

May 7, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #14,369 of 23,366
You can't possibly suggest that the M100s are remotely 'flat' or that they offer the bass that was 'intended'.

I like them a lot, in some ways, but these are headphones that significantly exaggerate the low end.

I find this idea interesting; presumably like any audio equipment the headphone cannot create a frequency that wasn't present in the original mix? This must mean the sound engineer intended it to be heard. Given this, could it not be argued that the M-100 bring out bass that other headphones cannot retrieve? (Whether or not you consider it hi-fidelity).

May 7, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #14,370 of 23,366
Quote:
I find this idea interesting; presumably like any audio equipment the headphone cannot create a frequency that wasn't present in the original mix? This must mean the sound engineer intended it to be heard. Given this, could it not be argued that the M-100 bring out bass that other headphones cannot retrieve? (Whether or not you consider it hi-fidelity).

Oh, it does... for example by a different distribution of harmonics (which might not be present at all in an electronically generated signal). Noise being an example for electrical audio equipment: added random frequencies.

Based on your question all headphones would sound linear and similar -- which they most definitely don't. Every mechanical system shows its own spectrum of resonances... and the overall construction yields one possible view of the audio signal so to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back