V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 20, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #12,976 of 23,366
Well, I received my M100 today. Spent a couple hours so far. I'll reserve my judgement till I've spent more time with it. The ear cups are really small. I'm used to my HD280 pro and Beyer T1 cups that go around my ears. The M100 kind of sits on my ear and it gets pretty uncomfortable.
I'm pairing an Ipod touch 4g with a GoDap and an E17. Going to take a vacation with it so lets see how it holds up.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #12,978 of 23,366
Just an idea, but would you guys with comfort issues mind posting pictures of your ears next to the pads of the M-100? I have no comfort issues at all.

My ear sits fully inside the cup and I feel no pressure against the driver or against my earlobes.

Oh, and here's something I made while playing around. I call it the V-MODA SCORPION.

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #12,979 of 23,366
@SpiderNhan,

The V-Moda M100 has really small earcups compared to many competing headphones, so it's not too surprising that certain people will run into issues. Regarding the earcup circumference, the unique hexagonal oval shape may not properly fit for certain people as well. The earcup depth is about 15mm deep uncompressed and the M100 does not feature a traditional swivel mechanism either (relying rather on twisting the Flexband to adjust the fit). Therefore, if your ears protrude out of your skull at least 15mm, the outer tips of your ears will rub up against the speaker drivers. Whether that causes you discomfort depends on how long you wear your headphones for & how sensitive your ears are. The outer edges of my ears turned bright red from irritation after wearing the M100s for 2-3 hours. Since you are not experiencing that sort of discomfort, I would guess that either your ears do not protrude 15mm from your skull or that you haven't worn your headphones continuously for extremely long periods of time.

Obviously, this problem does not affect everyone and I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your headphones without any issues. However, there are many people on this thread who have noted experiencing fit/comfort issues and for those certain people, the release of XL pads would really make the M100s much more enjoyable :)

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #12,980 of 23,366
I'm not criticizing anyone who is having comfort issues, and I apologize if I came off that way. I just had an idea that if we had a visual record of different people's ear sizes/shapes and compiled them for Val it may help him get a better idea of what could be improved on with the XL pads and maybe even future headphones designs. I've never used the LP/LP2 and, beyond what I've read in this thread, I know very little about them other than they are approximately the same size and shape of the M-100. Of the hundreds of reviews for the LP/LP2 on Amazon, very few mention comfort as an issue. Maybe as a population, Head-Fiers have larger ears than most. Or maybe we just listen to music much more and for much longer because we spend so much time and money squeezing the best sound out of our equipment whereas a casual music lover listens for shorter periods of time. Val even says that he thinks 15 minute breaks are necessary every hour or two to avoid damaging our hearing.

And you are correct. I usually don't have my headphones on for more than 1 to 2 hour increments. I'm not as hardcore as some you guys, I guess. Maybe I need more music to feed these things...

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #12,982 of 23,366
Could someone post a picture of their 1/4" adapter that came with their M-100?

Odd request, sure. But I recently got my 1/4" V2 from V-MODA and it looks a little different. Not by a lot, but when I get the chance, I'll edit this post with the pic. The end of it seems longer, not  a big deal, just curious if it's different. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #12,983 of 23,366
Quote:
Could someone post a picture of their 1/4" adapter that came with their M-100?

Odd request, sure. But I recently got my 1/4" V2 from V-MODA and it looks a little different. Not by a lot, but when I get the chance, I'll edit this post with the pic. The end of it seems longer, not  a big deal, just curious if it's different. 

Yeah sure, my camera is out anyway:

M-100, Shure SRH940, K 701 adaptors

M-100

M-100

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #12,984 of 23,366
Ya its the same. I'm just crazy.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #12,986 of 23,366
Could be interesting Apo0th3karY. Maybe one of the Mod threads could suggest how to boost isolation.

My guess is that the solid plastic earcup of the HD-25 is what gives it edge over the M-100s despite being an on-ear HP. Being metallic and airy it might be a challange to Mod without sacrificing your out of club enjoyment of them.

So does anyone know how the isolation of the M100s compairs to the LPs?

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #12,987 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm not criticizing anyone who is having comfort issues, and I apologize if I came off that way. I just had an idea that if we had a visual record of different people's ear sizes/shapes and compiled them for Val it may help him get a better idea of what could be improved on with the XL pads and maybe even future headphones designs. I've never used the LP/LP2 and, beyond what I've read in this thread, I know very little about them other than they are approximately the same size and shape of the M-100. Of the hundreds of reviews for the LP/LP2 on Amazon, very few mention comfort as an issue. Maybe as a population, Head-Fiers have larger ears than most. Or maybe we just listen to music much more and for much longer because we spend so much time and money squeezing the best sound out of our equipment whereas a casual music lover listens for shorter periods of time. Val even says that he thinks 15 minute breaks are necessary every hour or two to avoid damaging our hearing.

And you are correct. I usually don't have my headphones on for more than 1 to 2 hour increments. I'm not as hardcore as some you guys, I guess. Maybe I need more music to feed these things...

Quote:
@SpiderNhan,

The V-Moda M100 has really small earcups compared to many competing headphones, so it's not too surprising that certain people will run into issues. Regarding the earcup circumference, the unique hexagonal oval shape may not properly fit for certain people as well. The earcup depth is about 15mm deep uncompressed and the M100 does not feature a traditional swivel mechanism either (relying rather on twisting the Flexband to adjust the fit). Therefore, if your ears protrude out of your skull at least 15mm, the outer tips of your ears will rub up against the speaker drivers. Whether that causes you discomfort depends on how long you wear your headphones for & how sensitive your ears are. The outer edges of my ears turned bright red from irritation after wearing the M100s for 2-3 hours. Since you are not experiencing that sort of discomfort, I would guess that either your ears do not protrude 15mm from your skull or that you haven't worn your headphones continuously for extremely long periods of time.

Obviously, this problem does not affect everyone and I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your headphones without any issues. However, there are many people on this thread who have noted experiencing fit/comfort issues and for those certain people, the release of XL pads would really make the M100s much more enjoyable :)

Quote:

I am glad that Val is working on this , I'm guessing a number of us have comfort issue on the M-100 due to bigger or odd sized ears and sometimes bigger head . I could solve the clamping force problem by stretching it out a bit but as for the ear cup I think it is a good choice that they are developing an optional one for it.

One of the issue that some of us face is the shallow ear cup causing driver to rest on the helix of the ear ( as some of our ears are actually more "projected" as of lying flat) I am saying this even with the paper towel mod applied. The towel mod does gives better sound quality - my idea would be it compacts the memory foam . So denser foam maybe ? 

If I may give a suggestion, The sort of "V" or the Hexagonal design would improve in comfort level if they may look into slightly modifying the ear lobe end of it ( Make it rounded or slightly bigger maybe ?) at least it fully covers the ear for comfort reasons. I'm guessing according to the sketch, A should be wider than B. C should be thicker but most importantly the memory foam should be denser.

When I was buying the M-100 I had an opportunity to test out the sony MDR-1R , despite the sound quality , I would say the comfort level is supreme (Big and deep ear cups ) !!! After wearing it a while I could hardly felt any discomfort.

Hope this helps.

Quote:

Now I forgot to do it while ago, but yesterday as I was leaving work I noticed one of my gauze rolls was slipping out, so I decided "heck, I'll just take out the mod now and see what happens."

Well the mids went back, and the bass came through more, almost boomier than with the mod, the highs didn't sparkle as much, soundstage decreased (noticeably), and everything sounded all around darker. This is with the memory cushions well sunk in, mind you, so it's not a question of 'burning in' the ear pads, they're already conformed to my head. I DO prefer the M-100's sound with the gauze in. I'm going ot leave it for a week though, then put the gauze back in, just to see if it's brain bias.

In terms of comfort, it seems like the tip and lobe (spacers) of my right ear is the only one that touches the driver, and I can still wear it for at least an hour (haven't field tested w/o mod since having the M-100 for more than an hour) but I can tell the difference in comfort right away.

I'm banking on the XL Cushions being more akin to the mod in, since the fit isn't right pre-mod, the fit should be right with the XL pads. THE FIT IS THE SOUND right? Or atleast that's the assumption I'm going on.

There we go again , it seems that quite a number of us have undoubtedly have comfort issues with this headphone. The M 100 is a GREAT headphone but with this pressing issue for some of us I am beginning to think it is kind of annoying judging by the premium pricetag on this headphone- Just an opinion. For those who have NO comfort issues , GOOD FOR YOU ! am raising this issue for those who does - No hard feelings please.

Despite Val did mentioned "The Fit is the Sound" I have to agree to disagree . Based on the fact that it is not that simple , lets take it up a notch . Say if one is placed in a 3ft x 3ft room with top of the range sound system, good acoustics: eg foamed walls and etc, with a wood stool . It might sound AWSOME but I believe one will not stay there for long. To put it in a more simple manner The FIT alone  will not "CUT it" for a good listening experience. ACOUSTICS does play a big part in this.

Again to further break it down. The FIT "MIGHT" be the SOUND but may I add the ACOUSTICS is the COMFORT, THE SOUND, and ultimately determines the OVERALL LISTENING EXPERIENCE...

Let this be an encouragement and one of the pressing criteria to improve this great piece of KIT. Am aware the new XL ear cup is coming up/under R&D lets hope it will solve our dilemma and hopefully no MOD needed this time round. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #12,990 of 23,366
Quote:

There we go again , it seems that quite a number of us have undoubtedly have comfort issues with this headphone. The M 100 is a GREAT headphone but with this pressing issue for some of us I am beginning to think it is kind of annoying judging by the premium pricetag on this headphone- Just an opinion. For those who have NO comfort issues , GOOD FOR YOU ! am raising this issue for those who does - No hard feelings please.

Despite Val did mentioned "The Fit is the Sound" I have to agree to disagree . Based on the fact that it is not that simple , lets take it up a notch . Say if one is placed in a 3ft x 3ft room with top of the range sound system, good acoustics: eg foamed walls and etc, with a wood stool . It might sound AWSOME but I believe one will not stay there for long. To put it in a more simple manner The FIT alone  will not "CUT it" for a good listening experience. ACOUSTICS does play a big part in this.

Again to further break it down. The FIT "MIGHT" be the SOUND but may I add the ACOUSTICS is the COMFORT, THE SOUND, and ultimately determines the OVERALL LISTENING EXPERIENCE...

Let this be an encouragement and one of the pressing criteria to improve this great piece of KIT. Am aware the new XL ear cup is coming up/under R&D lets hope it will solve our dilemma and hopefully no MOD needed this time round. 

I didn't think this issue needed to be raised again.  A new pad is being developed.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back