V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Feb 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #12,271 of 23,366
Quote:
My only real complaint thus far is comfort.  These are less comfortable than my Grados.  I assume the pads end up softening up?

The main problem many have had with the pads (me included a little) is that they are too shallow.  I don't feel the discomfort until I take them off though.  Otherwise, after a couple hours, the headband gets to me.  Pads always soften up with time.  They'll continue softening up until the spring force of the pads = clamping force of the headphones.  

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #12,272 of 23,366
I finally switched the pads from my daughter's Crossfade LPs. She doesn't know the difference and the LP pads are deeper and do not allow my ears to touch. I haven't listened to mine as much lately but I am noticing a huge difference. There are some comparisons on here so I would defer to them. Even so, order these for $10 from V-Moda and I think its worth the price for the extra comfort and slight sound change.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #12,273 of 23,366
Quote:
I finally switched the pads from my daughter's Crossfade LPs. She doesn't know the difference and the LP pads are deeper and do not allow my ears to touch. I haven't listened to mine as much lately but I am noticing a huge difference. There are some comparisons on here so I would defer to them. Even so, order these for $10 from V-Moda and I think its worth the price for the extra comfort and slight sound change.

I may have to try that eventually.  But for now, I'm enjoying the M100s a bit.  does the Crossfade pads decrement the mids any further (there is a dip in the lower mids with the M100 stock).

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #12,274 of 23,366
Nice review! What font are you using in it? It doesn't look like the "default" one.

Garamond, a personal font favorite. To me it looks more book-ish, and I think the serifs help it flow and read easier than the standard font (which I think is verdana? I could check, buuuut...).

I'm actually tickled that you liked the review AND noticed the font choice ^_^ thanks!

Just spotted a pair of Matte Black here at Carnegie Mellon, so I am not the only one anymore.

Ooh, I used to go up to CMU all the time! It's always an exciting (and sometimes weird) place. I remember facepalming about the "stairway to the sky" pole.
I'm in the south hills, maybe we should compare gear and geek out sometime.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #12,276 of 23,366
Quote:
Garamond, a personal font favorite. To me it looks more book-ish, and I think the serifs help it flow and read easier than the standard font (which I think is verdana? I could check, buuuut...).

I'm actually tickled that you liked the review AND noticed the font choice ^_^ thanks!
Ooh, I used to go up to CMU all the time! It's always an exciting (and sometimes weird) place. I remember facepalming about the "stairway to the sky" pole.
I'm in the south hills, maybe we should compare gear and geek out sometime.

Sure that will be nice.  That's me if you see a Black Nissan GT-R with army plates driving around.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #12,277 of 23,366
My only real complaint thus far is comfort.  These are less comfortable than my Grados.  I assume the pads end up softening up?

Yes, mine were uncomfortable at first.  After a few weeks, I forgot I was wearing them.

Strangely the opposite is happening to me. I use the M-100's daily for 2 1- hour long bus rides and the driver enclosure really gets to my ears, literally. They become pretty bothersome after an hour's use, even to the point where my right ear becomes tingly. :/

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #12,278 of 23,366
Tip of the Day: A low cost cure for V-MODA M-100 cable microphonics

This doesn't seem to be an issue for many, but if you find that cable noise is an issue with the M-100, here's a possible low cost cure for cable microphonics.

Material costs: One twist tie.

This simple fix (don't laugh) added just enough clearance to eliminate most of the microphonics I was experiencing with the stock cable rubbing against my clothing while seated at my desk.  Can't guarantee this mod will work for everyone, but it certainly has made a big difference for me.  It's low cost and 100% reversible, so what do you have to lose?

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #12,279 of 23,366
Quote:
For the shadow colour, black is the SpeakEasy cable (has the inline Android/iDevice remote), red is the SharePlay cable (has a headphone splitter at the end). The SharePlay cable is longer than the SpeakEasy cable and has no buttons. Perhaps reversing the remote cable in the earcup will make the audio normal (45˚ jack in the earcup, straight jack in the amp)? That has been the case in previous V-MODA cables with Android devices at least.

Quote:
Problem is most likely due to the TRRS connector vs the TRS connector.  Val's suggestion would be to reverse the sides, plug the side that should go into the M100 into the computer and the side that should go into the computer into the M100.  The main problem is that your computer only has 3 ports: L, R, G (Ground).  The TRRS adapter has two setups: LRGG (balanced, single ground for left and right channels) and LRMG (M = remote/mic).  The M100s use the latter.  But swapping the sides, or just using the SharePlay cable should fix your problem.  

BTW, you have the cables reversed, the one you are using (with the remote and mic) is for Apple, Android, WinPho, BB, etc.  The Other cable (should have a female 3.5 mm connector splitting out of it) is straight audio (for all devices).

Thanks for the info, I swapped out the cables. However, turns out my issue had something to do with the headphone extension cord that I was using. All become normal when I plugged the M-100 directly into the headphone jack instead of the extension cord.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #12,281 of 23,366
Quote:
Strangely the opposite is happening to me. I use the M-100's daily for 2 1- hour long bus rides and the driver enclosure really gets to my ears, literally. They become pretty bothersome after an hour's use, even to the point where my right ear becomes tingly. :/

I agree with this statement. If you are having comfort issues due to the earcups being too shallow, it won't get better with time. I wore my m100 every day for a month to see if it would get better with time and it didn't. So I did the kinda ghetto IMO paper towel mod and it definitely makes the earcups more comfy since the drivers are farther away from your ears, so I would recommend that to people who are having issues. I just cut a paper towel in half, rolled it up, stuffed it under there. Sonically, if there is a difference I definitely cannot hear it, and I actually really doubt that people can hear differences due to slight variations in earpads. I actually have 2 pairs of v-moda crossfade m100, so I was able to do blind tests and I really do believe that the sonic differences people talk about are either achieved with an amp (which I don't have), really well-trained sensitive golden ears, or just in their heads.

Pre-paper towel mod: felt driver against ears when I first put the headphones on, annoying after 30min, irritating after an 1 hour, red ears in 2-3 hrs.
After paper towel mod: could sometimes feel it, but wore them for a few hours without actually irritation that would make me take them off.

However, if your comfort issue is that the headphones are clamping too tight on your head, then wearing them a lot or stretching out the handband would definitely help a lot and eventually they do kinda melt into your head and you forget you got em on. So I would keep them for sure if your only comfort issue is the tightness of clamping or headband type issues.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #12,282 of 23,366
So I recently bought these headphones and I'm really enjoying them. I was wanting to buy a new amp for them. I want something portable because I will be using for an ipod touch. I was looking at the fiio e12 but what do you guys recommend? I don't really want to spend more than $100 but $150 would be my limit. Also would a DAC/Amp be better?

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #12,283 of 23,366
Quote:
So I recently bought these headphones and I'm really enjoying them. I was wanting to buy a new amp for them. I want something portable because I will be using for an ipod touch. I was looking at the fiio e12 but what do you guys recommend? I don't really want to spend more than $100 but $150 would be my limit. Also would a DAC/Amp be better?

Grab the Fiio E07K 

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #12,284 of 23,366
Quote:
Grab the Fiio E07K 

I second this. Either this or the E6. Let me explain my reasoning. I have the E17 and it works great as a Dac on my laptop and gives me portability as an amp. I keep it docked in the E09K though. When I got tired of the size, I ended up getting the little E6. It works great with the M100s and becomes nothing more than an inline volume control since its so small. It will drive them to pretty high levels. I just feel when I am on the go, I don't listen nearly as critically so I'm not as concerned about sound as I am volume and extreme portability.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #12,285 of 23,366
Status still "Awaiting Shipment".

I ordered on the 10th/11th. I know it takes a few days for the custom shields to be made but I figured today I would get an update on the shipment. Anyone know whats going on?

I am getting a little concerned.

OH MY GOD! As soon as I posted this I got an email stating they were shipped! This is some ******* funny **** right here!

Concerns are now put aside, just hyped for my delivery!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back