V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #11,446 of 23,366
Quote:
So it seems that head-fi ultra hyped these headphones. Question is, was it worth the hype? Not saying if they are good or bad, just whether it reached the levels of hype it had.
Oh, and no one has uploaded pics of the matte black with orange shields, as they promised, i'm still waiting

Apo0th3karY posted this photo on December 19:

As for the hype? To me they didn't live up to the hype. They sound good, yes, but they weren't what I was expecting given the things that were being said in this thread. If you like the M-80, you might not like the M-100.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #11,447 of 23,366
Quote:

As for the hype? To me they didn't live up to the hype. They sound good, yes, but they weren't what I was expecting given the things that were being said in this thread. If you like the M-80, you might not like the M-100.

AH, didn't see it, head-fi's way of showing photos (the photo list that takes FOREVER to load) is horrible.
And that's what i kind of expected. Shame really, seeing as they are marketed as "audiophile headphones", yet they're colored. At the price range, the sennheiser momentums sound like a better option, especially with the black one coming out soon.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #11,448 of 23,366
Quote:

AH, didn't see it, head-fi's way of showing photos (the photo list that takes FOREVER to load) is horrible.
And that's what i kind of expected. Shame really, seeing as they are marketed as "audiophile headphones", yet they're colored. At the price range, the sennheiser momentums sound like a better option, especially with the black one coming out soon.

I tried the Momentum's, and they don't offer as much detail retrievel as the M-100's. Nor the deep tight bass. The bass sounded bouncy.
The mids are slightly better though for rock/metal, but for (obvious electronic) instrumentals, heck, even classical, the M-100's win.
I would say the Momentum's are smoother, more bouncy in the bass, and offer a better mid section.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #11,449 of 23,366
Quote:
So it seems that head-fi ultra hyped these headphones. Question is, was it worth the hype? Not saying if they are good or bad, just whether it reached the levels of hype it had.
Oh, and no one has uploaded pics of the matte black with orange shields, as they promised, i'm still waiting

Quote:

Head-fi didn't hype them per se, Val Kolton skillfully orchestrated the hype of several Head-fi members, including myself.  After nearly 3 months with the M-100, my opinion is, yes, they did actually live up to the hype.  The M-100 has spoiled me for every other headphone I have heard since and their sound has improved to my ears over time and with superior amping through Vamp.  I believe they offer the best balance of sound for a variety of genres in a portable package available at present.  Perhaps CES will introduce something superior, but so far I think not.

EDIT:  In the interesting of explaining WHY I feel they lived up to the hype, my hope was to find ONE headphone that would be satisfying and enjoyable for ALL my music enjoyment so that I didn't need to own several genre-specific headphones.  My musical taste runs from 60's folk to current EDM and everything in between, so finding an all-arounder was no easy task.  In summary, M-100 = mission accomplished.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #11,450 of 23,366
Quote:

Head-fi didn't hype them per se, Val Kolton skillfully orchestrated the hype of several Head-fi members, including myself.  After nearly 3 months with the M-100, my opinion is, yes, they did actually live up to the hype.  The M-100 has spoiled me for every other headphone I have heard since and their sound has improved to my ears over time and with superior amping through Vamp.  I believe they offer the best balance of sound for a variety of genres in a portable package available at present.  Perhaps CES will introduce something superior, but so far I think not.

I doubt it, seeing as CES ends today.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #11,451 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

I doubt it, seeing as CES ends today.

There was alotta cell phone/tablet/screens coverage though.
....and then there's this. XD

With all honesty though the M-100's aren't bad-sounding. Their laid-back midrange is a burdon for many of my music tracks though and the laid-back upper-treble detracts me from some rock music.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #11,452 of 23,366
Quote:
There was alotta cell phone/tablet/screens coverage though.
....and then there's this. XD

With all honesty though the M-100's aren't bad-sounding. Their laid-back midrange is a burdon for many of my music tracks though and the laid-back upper-treble detracts me from some rock music.

LOL, at first, I thought your link was a picture of a tube amp!

Also, the Yamaha PRO 500 may address some of your perceived issues with the M-100 based on recent reviews.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #11,453 of 23,366
Know what I've noticed? The 'hype' in this thread died RIGHT down as soon as people started getting their headphones.

And not many people have said much bad about them other than their not balanced sound, which frankly, for the greatest amount of people (not head-fi) it lives up to more than it's hype.

I think the thing that makes me feel as though I've spent my money on the best headset in the price range, is the fact that it competes with every other popular headphone, but does everything they do well, 10x better. Soundstage, detail, lush textured and boosted bass (love it or hate it it's what people want) along with build quality like no other, a case that fits in my hoodie, and stylish to boot. 

I think the hype is well deserved. 

Oh and I can definitely attest to the audiophile grade in these headphones. TIFWIW but the detail and instrument separation, imo, make these headphones a little unforgiving, I'm hearing artefacts in EDM songs, and can pick out weird studio mixing in rock tracks I haven't heard before. If that's not details coming from the studio mix, I don't know what audiophiles are looking for. I'll state here I consider myself an audiophile, but I use the term loosely, as someone who prefers hi-fi sound, but not  necessarily neutrality. So I'll say again, I agree these are audiophile headphones, but made to meet general consumer demand, not necessarily head-fi's demand.

Jan 12, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #11,454 of 23,366
Today I was taking some pix of my M-100 and if it's not obvious from my profiles I kinda push the V-Modas to the limits. Except this time I may have gone a little too far. So a few unknown facts about the M-100.

1. It floats
  2. Still works after a dip, but naturally sonics are a somewhat affected, not as bad as I thought. Sounds a little more monotone and somewhat "fluid" (not joking here), after dismantling and drying with a hairdryer, sonics seem to be back to normal!!

M-100 On The Edge

(Photo Series)

V-Moda M-100 & VentureCraft Go-DAP X
DSC_3251.jpeg

M-100 on the edge
DSC_3291.jpeg

M-100 floating on a dip
DSC_3295.jpeg

Drying out
DSC_3296.jpeg
DSC_3297.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #11,456 of 23,366
Quote:
Hi everyone, I just got the m-100 mostly based on the hype on this site. But I am having a tremendous problem. The m-100 is incompatible with my Asus Xonar D1 sound card. I am 100% positive that the jacks are plugged in properly. The m100 works on my FiiO E7 and my AD900 works on the D1, but when I plug the m100s into the D1, the sound is distorted and horrible. This isn't an aesthetic judgment -- there are only distorted sounds coming from the m100 when it's plugged into the D1. It sounds almost like a blown speaker, but that's not the issue because, like I said, the m100 works through the E7.  I have also tried three different wires (two that came with the headphone and one additional one), and it's not the sound card settings because the AD900 works fine with the same settings. What gives?

From reading some info on the D1 it sounds like the same problem I (and at least one other on this thread) have had with some internal sound cards - It seems like they just don't have the oomph to drive the cans.  Was it basically no mids/highs and distorted bass?  If I remember correctly that's what I got before.

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #11,457 of 23,366
Quote:
Today I was taking some pix of my M-100 and if it's not obvious from my profiles I kinda push the V-Modas to the limits. Except this time I may have gone a little too far. So a few unknown facts about the M-100.

1. It floats
  2. Still works after a dip, but naturally sonics are a somewhat affected, not as bad as I thought. Sounds a little more monotone and somewhat "fluid" (not joking here)

M-100 On The Edge

(Photo Series)

V-Moda M-100 & VentureCraft Go-DAP X

M-100 on the edge

M-100 floating on a dip

Drying out

basshead.gif
 I felt an adrenaline rush looking through these, and not the good kind. The kind where I feel like I'm about to be hit by a bus

I guess these things really can take a beating. I'll let you borrow my M-100s, and M-80 (if i had them) but can't say I'd trust you with any other headphone. Mostly because i don't trust the other headphone to go through your gambit of abuse 
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #11,458 of 23,366
Quote:

basshead.gif
 I felt an adrenaline rush looking through these, and not the good kind. The kind where I feel like I'm about to be hit by a bus

I guess these things really can take a beating. I'll let you borrow my M-100s, and M-80 (if i had them) but can't say I'd trust you with any other headphone. Mostly because i don't trust the other headphone to go through your gambit of abuse 
tongue.gif

Hehehe...then you don't want to jump to the Fostex TH-900 thread then. My earcups broke twice. But Fostex was kind enough to fix them under warranty. I have a Pelican case for it after the 1st break - 2nd break wasn't caused by me :p.

The plan was actually to snap a pix of using the M-100 in the ocean whilst swimming above water naturally; but I never made it to the beach this summer nor had been to the gym regularly :p.

I just realised the M-80 link Jude put in my profile doesn't work anymore. Pic came from this post :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578207/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-reviews/870#post_8081092

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #11,459 of 23,366
I'd like to update my post about the M-100 taking a dip. I dismantled the M-100 and dried off excess moisture with a hairdryer. And actually the sonics don't seem to be impacted!! The M-100 sounds like it's back to normal! I'm going to the shops tomorrow to compare the demo ones on the shelf with my skinny-dipped one to confirm.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #11,460 of 23,366
I'm having an issue again now with the SQ but only because I took the tissues out I had in. I tried putting somr new pieces in and I believe I put too much in as the sound dulled. Too little though and they do nothing. I muat have put Just the right amount the first time... damn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back