V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #11,386 of 23,366
Wow, the versa looks sweet.  I love the V-MODA stuff, but it's tough when your premier headphone is $300 and your accompanying accessory is the cost of your entire headphone line. 

I guess I love that they were designed to compliment each other, but I'd rather have paid $400 for the M-100's and not needed to make a $1000 package to maximize them with the same companies items...good thing I am super happy with how the M-100s sound now and I can look at FiiO and other cheaper alternatives for a bit of a boost some day later.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #11,389 of 23,366
(^uhhh this wasn't really a double post, I just quoted myself and edited and re-posted.... I don't know how I managed this)

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, the versa looks sweet.  I love the V-MODA stuff, but it's tough when your premier headphone is $300 and your accompanying accessory is the cost of your entire headphone line. 

I guess I love that they were designed to compliment each other, but I'd rather have paid $400 for the M-100's and not needed to make a $1000 package to maximize them with the same companies items...good thing I am super happy with how the M-100s sound now and I can look at FiiO and other cheaper alternatives for a bit of a boost some day later.

+1

The pricing doesn't make sense to me either. My thinking is for much less than $650 I can get a Galaxy S3.
I'm gonna spend $100 on an amp and call it quits for amps until I REALLY want more, but I don't even think the Verza is what I'm looking for at all. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #11,390 of 23,366
They are not purposefully ruining the Momentum's they have on display. Think about that for a minute.  They make more selling a pair of Momentum's than they do selling an iPod.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were volume-limiting them somehow to shield themselves from lawsuits.  It is probably some legal concern over ear damage.  They are a bunch of liberals over there, thinking they need protect people from their own actions...
Well their best explanation is that Beats by Dr. Dre could definitely have a side deal with Apple so then they make the Beats lineup to appear better than the rest. This really shows when every time a sales rep comes up to you when you're looking at their displayed headphones and says something along the lines of, "Looking for a nice pair of Beats?" Sure it could be that they are just ignorant. But I'll let you decide on that one. It just seems pretty convincing to me when comparing my own set of Momentums to the displayed ones is like comparing an M-50 unamped to a flat EQed Beat Studios (my friend's). Something is wrong.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #11,391 of 23,366
Funny thing is I bought the momentums and have been testing them out side by side for the past day with the m100s. As for as mids go, no doubt... The momentums wins right when you hear them out of the box. However, the soundstage is extremely congested compared to the M100s, which feels like they have more depth to breathe.

After playing with both throughout the day (for about 7 hours now) and testing tracks side by side, they are both great sets and I find myself having a hard time deciding which to keep. If vocals and comfort (momentums Are super light, almost as light as the m-80s) are a high priority, the momentums win there. Soundstage and bass though goes to the m100s.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #11,392 of 23,366
Quote:

I'd be surprised if the Go-DAP X features are altered (below) 

With the Venturecraft Go-DAPs, the interesting thing is since the firmware update to support iOS6, you can actually play iDevices even if the toggle switch is in USB DAC mode. With the original firmware (that supported up to iOS5), the iAmp and USB DAC toggle switch operated as it should have.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #11,393 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
On V-MODA's Facebook page:

V-MODA VAMP VERZA HK$ 4980 (~$650 USD).
^ Yeah that's still way too pricey for me; point of diminishing returns.

M-80 vs M-100
In brief, the M-80 is more balanced-sounding and I found it to have a more upfront midrange from my brief listens, the M-100 has better detail retrieval, soundstage, and treble sparkle.

Hmm, I'd still like to try them out.
I don't personally like that design though, but thats not all that matters. I guess thats the part that connects to the phone somehow.
650 dollars - £405.57, not including customs, so no doubt it'd cost a whole lot more than that... That is expensive.

I'd be interested to know also how they would connect to the different phones.

Which Facebook page are you looking at? I thought I had the official one, and there is no word on this

It was in their "Photos of V-MODA" album, which are posted by other people. The person who posted it was from around Hong Kong (V-MODA recently opened an office something there).

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #11,395 of 23,366
musical-kage,

I agree with your assesment of the m100.To me the m100 does have an overall better balance for most of the
frequency spectrum espescially for mobile listening/portable type gear.Good bass is hard to get right espescially
the lower region of the frequency spectrum, the weight it gives to the music and the m100 does goes really low.
I could not really find a better headphone at this price for now that gives me a better balance of bass/mids and high, good separation,detailed and revealing..etc all in one place.

Some or most peeps I guess is not used to getting/liking/hearing low frequency with the music and it gets better 
with a good source.It sounds good with mp3s through my S3 alone but with flacs through the S3/ODAC and E11 I get
cleaner bass better mids and highs.A better overall experience you might say and I'm thouroughly enjoying my music
on the go now and listening to whatever genre I throw at it.

Just to give an idea of what I listen to you can go to
bandcamp.com and try/sample or better yet buy  Trailerhead(ochestra/choir),Forevermore(metalcore progressive),Hacktivist(djent,metalrap), The Algorithm Polymorphic Code(metal breakcore electro)just to name a few.
I also listen to mainstream stuff(karmin,Jennifer Lopez, etc...),korean stuff(miss A,Big Bang,Wonder girls,SNSD
etc...)...new age ,elecronica,rock,acoustics,instrumental...bla...bla...bla.....the list never ends.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #11,396 of 23,366
I tried the tissue/towel mod and was expecting better sound since some say it would sound better overall.
Instead  I get boomier/loose bass, recessed/mask mids (could not think of  better words to descrbe it) and was not 
really feeling comfortable with it so I guess fitting is a factor to consider too.

On the topic of Verza...hopefully someone can do a comparison between the TTVJ glacier,Verza and Go DAP X.
Maybe even against the ODAC in terms of DAC SQ.Would really be interested in that.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #11,398 of 23,366
Quote:
Well their best explanation is that Beats by Dr. Dre could definitely have a side deal with Apple so then they make the Beats lineup to appear better than the rest. This really shows when every time a sales rep comes up to you when you're looking at their displayed headphones and says something along the lines of, "Looking for a nice pair of Beats?" Sure it could be that they are just ignorant. But I'll let you decide on that one. It just seems pretty convincing to me when comparing my own set of Momentums to the displayed ones is like comparing an M-50 unamped to a flat EQed Beat Studios (my friend's). Something is wrong.

This is way out in conspiracy land.  Do you have any idea the implications that would have for Beats & Apple?  Hundreds of millions of dollars in fines for anti-competitive practices for starters.  Huge PR hit.  I know these reasons are not proof that what you say is false, but do you really think they would be that stupid?

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #11,399 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

This is way out in conspiracy land.  Do you have any idea the implications that would have for Beats & Apple?  Hundreds of millions of dollars in fines for anti-competitive practices for starters.  Huge PR hit.  I know these reasons are not proof that what you say is false, but do you really think they would be that stupid?

Generally those sales reps are out for a commission buck, and Beats by Dre are easy to sell to most consumers who walk into an Apple store, whereas the German "Sennheiser" or "V-Moda" are names that most Apple sheeple (*cough*did I say sheeple out loud? I'm sorry) won't be familiar with, will be harder to sell. It's like if no one's heard of the brand before, they'll be more skeptical about the brand. Advertising goes a long way. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back