V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #10,666 of 23,366
Quote:
OMG I JUST HAD A THOUGHT!

miceblue, craigster, or whoever else who has two V-Moda cables including a SharePlay......

Have you ever experimented with usign the SharePlay cable, in tandem with either and AudioOnly, or SpeakEasy cable, plugged into the other cup? Does it affect the sound at all being double fed? I'm sure having two un-cinched cables would be frustrating, but could twisting them, and somehow cinching them at an appropriate place to split to each cup, somehow reduce microphonics? 

Hypothetically speaking?

I think I did try that at one point and didn't notice any difference. Doing it just now again, I don't hear any obvious differences. Maybe if it's measured there is a difference (as was the case for the V-CORKs), but I don't hear anything.

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #10,668 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

miceblue, craigster, or whoever else who has two V-Moda cables including a SharePlay......

Have you ever experimented with usign the SharePlay cable, in tandem with either and AudioOnly, or SpeakEasy cable, plugged into the other cup? Does it affect the sound at all being double fed? I'm sure having two un-cinched cables would be frustrating, but could twisting them, and somehow cinching them at an appropriate place to split to each cup, somehow reduce microphonics? 

Hypothetically speaking?

I think I did try that at one point and didn't notice any difference. Doing it just now again, I don't hear any obvious differences. Maybe if it's measured there is a difference (as was the case for the V-CORKs), but I don't hear anything.

What about twisting the cord to reduce microphonics? I'm under the impression that supposedly helps in some IEM designs. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #10,669 of 23,366
I am really impressed with Amazon.com in the states. I was going to buy them from Amazon UK but it doesn't look like they have stock yet so I ordered from Amazon in the US and they shipped Monday and within one day it's in the UK! Very impressive. £265 all in including customs clearance in advance, so £5 saving on UK price too!

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #10,670 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hypothetically speaking?

What about twisting the cord to reduce microphonics? I'm under the impression that supposedly helps in some IEM designs. 

Cool idea, doesn't quite work. The SharePlay cable is longer than the SpeakEasy cable so you end up with a J cable instead of a Y cable, which introduces even more cable noise and a mess of twisted cables. >.>

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #10,671 of 23,366
Guys, is something wrong with me? I find the M-80 to have more bass. It may be that I have to burn it in.
The M-100 sounds more roomy. Highs definitely extend higher and makes cymbals sound nice and crisp. You can hear the velocity decrease after every hit!
I was really expecting the M-100 to be bassier than the M-80, but it is not the case. Using a tone generator the bass region is definitely stronger on the M-80.

I don't listen to Skrillex, but on the track "Kyoto" I found that I feel the bass that is oscillating in the background is very noticeable on the M-80. On the M-100, it is very weak.

For the GazettE's Chijo, I found that the cymbals are very nice as clear, again. Whereas on the M-80 it was possible that the individual hits could be lost. I also heard the correct pattern that the drummer is hitting on the ride's bell through the M-100. I LOVED IT.
Each kick of the drum is weaker than the M-80. The bass guitar's groove can be followed just slightly easily on it as well.
As for the vocals and the guitars, I feel that they sound clearer on the M-100. The treble helps bring out some  of that I suppose.

For the GazettE's Remember The Urge, I found the same results. This song is a lot faster than Chijo and thus the bass kicks' impact on the M-100 sounds almost absent.

After so much A/B'ing I found that the M-80's do sound slightly muddier in comparison, most likely due to the powerful bass.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #10,672 of 23,366
Ah. I was just day dreaming about the possibilities and got really excited for a second. 

I'm gonna experiment with it myself for curiosity sake. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #10,673 of 23,366
Quote:
Guys, is something wrong with me? I find the M-80 to have more bass. It may be that I have to burn it in.
The M-100 sounds more roomy. Highs definitely extend higher and makes cymbals sound nice and crisp. You can hear the velocity decrease after every hit!
I was really expecting the M-100 to be bassier than the M-80, but it is not the case. Using a tone generator the bass region is definitely stronger on the M-80.

I don't listen to Skrillex, but on the track "Kyoto" I found that I feel the bass that is oscillating in the background is very noticeable on the M-80. On the M-100, it is very weak.

For the GazettE's Chijo, I found that the cymbals are very nice as clear, again. Whereas on the M-80 it was possible that the individual hits could be lost. I also heard the correct pattern that the drummer is hitting on the ride's bell through the M-100. I LOVED IT.
Each kick of the drum is weaker than the M-80. The bass guitar's groove can be followed just slightly easily on it as well.
As for the vocals and the guitars, I feel that they sound clearer on the M-100. The treble helps bring out some  of that I suppose.

For the GazettE's Remember The Urge, I found the same results. This song is a lot faster than Chijo and thus the bass kicks' impact on the M-100 sounds almost absent.

After so much A/B'ing I found that the M-80's do sound slightly muddier in comparison, most likely due to the powerful bass.

If that really is what you have found, then woh, but I don't know how you've found that.
Do the ear pads press against your ears well?

Complete opposite of what Miceblue found, though the treble extension is meant to be better indeed on the M-100's.

I have a question for you guys. If Customs Processing has complete, is it complete in the US, ready to be shipped... or does that mean they are in the UK?

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #10,674 of 23,366
OMG - what a night - just got my Lyr back after 6 weeks out to get the relay put in - just went to check the mail and got some new tubes for the Lyr in -
What does this have to do with the M100's you say - have a notice that I have a package at the Post Office - how do I know it's the M100's - darn GOC $49.63 due on pickup  (duties/taxes) -
On my way to the post office!!

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #10,675 of 23,366
Quote:
OMG - what a night - just got my Lyr back after 6 weeks out to get the relay put in - just went to check the mail and got some new tubes for the Lyr in -
What does this have to do with the M100's you say - have a notice that I have a package at the Post Office - how do I know it's the M100's - darn GOC $49.63 due on pickup  (duties/taxes) -
On my way to the post office!!

Gah, I'm going to have payment ready for when they arrive at the door. I'm not sure how it all works

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #10,678 of 23,366
Quote:
^How does one go forth in doing so? The M-80's were at an angle so I was expecting the M-100 to be angled too, but it is flat.
What your suggesting is like bending paper thats flat on a surface, without lifting it. IDK how to describe the motion, but basically, something will crack.

In regards to the 60-day test drive, I found out that it only applies to purchases made from V-Moda. This is misleading as it lists it on Amazon's page.

[size=13.63636302947998px]"Satisfaction Guaranteed[/size][size=13.63636302947998px][/size]
[size=13.63636302947998px]Two-Year Warranty - Immortal Life Program - 60-Day Test Drive Guarantee:[/size][size=13.63636302947998px] Each M-80 purchased from a Verified Reseller is backed by a 2-Year V-MODA Premier Warranty, double the industry average. In the unlikely event you run over your headphones with a tank, with the V-MODA Immortal Life Program, you get 50% off a replacement for a lifetime. V-MODA is so confident the M-80 is a superior headphone, it even offers an unrivaled 60-day test drive guarantee."[/size]

I bought the M-80 thinking I would be able to return it if I didn't like it. There are no places that have them around me so it was the only way to hear them. Unless the rep didn't know what they were talking about.

your order number from amazon works as the warranty  
source: Dave from V-moda

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #10,679 of 23,366
Back from the Post Office - CR@P!! The left side is dead - tried different cables and different sources - all cables and sources work fine with the M80.
I thought these were suppose to come with an iCable to work with Apple devices - seems like I got the other but my M80 cable works fine.
As much as I like the sound of the M-80, I'm not an over-the-ear kind of guy.  I love the fit of the M100s but mono doesn't work for me.  Guess I'll be calling vModa CS tomorrow. Oh well, stuff happens. It will probably be another month before I get another pair.
Guess my listening tonight will be with the HD700 with my Lyr back and some new tubes.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #10,680 of 23,366
Quote:
Back from the Post Office 
angry_face.gif
 CR@P!! 
angry_face.gif
 The left side is dead - tried different cables and different sources - all cables and sources work fine with the M80.
I thought these were suppose to come with an iCable to work with Apple devices - seems like I got the other but my M80 cable works fine.
As much as I like the sound of the M-80, I'm not an over-the-ear kind of guy.  I love the fit of the M100s but mono doesn't work for me.  Guess I'll be calling vModa CS tomorrow. Oh well, stuff happens. It will probably be another month before I get another pair.
Guess my listening tonight will be with the HD700 with my Lyr back and some new tubes.

Sorry to hear that happened :frowning2:  Guess it's back to the CS room.  Haven't ever dealt with V-Moda CS, I'm sure they're fine and you'll be taken care of though.  It's a bummer though :frowning2:

Regarding the cable.  The M100s come with 2 cables if I'm not mistaken.  An audio-only cable and a single-button remote + mic'd cable for smartphones.  The single-button remote should work for the iPhone as well to play, pause, skip forward, skip back, and activate Siri/Voice control (depending on which one your device supports; all iDevices after the 3G iPhone support voice control, all devices after the 4S support Siri).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back