V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 14, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #10,532 of 23,366
Quote:
what's So special about the cable

A few things actually.  The first one is that it is silver.  Silver can be preferred over copper for 2 reasons:
  1. It conducts electricity with less resistance. 
  2. It doesn't corrode as quickly.  This is the main reason to upgrade.  Copper begins to corrode quite quickly (if you've ever noticed the greening of clear cables, this is corrosion).  Copper can corrode quite quickly (within a few months).  Corrosion increases the cables resistance.  More likely than not, corrosion won't kill a cable though.

Those would be the main 2 reasons.  Some also say different cables result in different sound.  This would also be another reason to upgrade cables. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #10,533 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
what's So special about the cable

A few things actually.  The first one is that it is silver.  Silver can be preferred over copper for 2 reasons:
  2. It doesn't corrode as quickly.  This is the main reason to upgrade.  Copper begins to corrode quite quickly (if you've ever noticed the greening of clear cables, this is corrosion).  Copper can corrode quite quickly (within a few months).  Corrosion increases the cables resistance.  More likely than not, corrosion won't kill a cable though.

Those would be the main 2 reasons.  Some also say different cables result in different sound.  This would also be another reason to upgrade cables. 

Though this can go in sound science, I think it's all snake oil. I have yet to hear any evident difference between cables with [insert sound science only term here] testing, but evidently some die-hard people go out of their way to pay big bucks for them. >.>
aaand this is like the FLAC vs 256 kbps AAC or 320 kbps MP3 argument so really it should not go on as it can easily get out of hand.

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #10,535 of 23,366
Though this can go in sound science, I think it's all snake oil. I have yet to hear any evident difference between cables with [insert sound science only term here] testing, but evidently some die-hard people go out of their way to pay big bucks for them. >.>
aaand this is like the FLAC vs 256 kbps AAC or 320 kbps MP3 argument so really it should not go on as it can easily get out of hand.

That's why I says some say. I tried to word it as if it wasn't fact (rather opinion). I haven't done enough testing myself to have an opinion on the matter. The first two points are true though (less resistive and not as prone to corrosion). The first two points are reason to upgrade the cable (essentially should last longer; key word should).

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #10,536 of 23,366
Quote:

Either way, its not worth that much for a different cable, especially in a headphone of this caliber, whether it makes the smallest of differences or not over longetivity. It certainly wouldn't in sound.
If the cable breaks. Buy a new one.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #10,537 of 23,366
Soooo, I resurrected my iPod touch 4G from the dead (i.e. it was sitting in a box in my room for 1.5 years). Then I upgraded to iOS 6, there is definitely some things I've been missing out on here, haha. But anyways, I wanted to test this orange cable that came with my new matte black headphones, and it's pretty nice... The middle button I can press play, pause, and skip music with. I have not tested the mic yet, but that's definitely something I want to try in the future.

My new shields came today, and they sound slightly different (wider?) with the crimson red ones on than with the matte black shields. Very slightly though, and I'm not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing, it seems to be good. I'll pretend it's good because my new shields are sexyy as fk <3!
P.S. Also, for some strange reason my Matte black M-100s are comfier than the Shadow M-100s. Not sure why, maybe I did a better job at straightening the headband on this one or something :) But yay for no ear pressure yet XD!

On a separate note: I tried the dual cables at once idea, with two different sources. One in my computer and 1 in my iPod.
Results (sorted from most recessed to least recessed):
Shareplay in my laptop and easyspeak in iPod: music playing through laptop. The sound is definitely recessed. I plugged the cable in and out of my iPod to see the difference and it makes the volume go down by a lot.
Easyspeak in my laptop and shareplay in iPod: music playing through laptop. It's not as bad as method one. But definitely not as enjoyable as having just the one cable in.
Easyspeak in my laptop and shareplay in iPod: music playing through iPod. Very very very minimal reduction in sound. Maybe 1 decibel. Still enjoyable.
Shareplay in my laptop and easyspeak in iPod: music playing through iPod. Unplugged and replugged many times. For some weird reason the sound is completely unaffected and sounds exactly the same.

Conclusion: Not really a good idea to multi task with the dual outputs on your headphones UNLESS you are using the easyspeak to listen to an iPod with the iPod playing the music, and just have the computer plugged in to hear skype, game noises, msn beeps, etc.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #10,538 of 23,366
Quote:
Soooo, I resurrected my iPod touch 4G from the dead (i.e. it was sitting in a box in my room for 1.5 years). Then I upgraded to iOS 6, there is definitely some things I've been missing out on here, haha. But anyways, I wanted to test this orange cable that came with my new matte black headphones, and it's pretty nice... The middle button I can press play, pause, and skip music with. I have not tested the mic yet, but that's definitely something I want to try in the future.

Holy cow, I can't believe that's something I haven't tested yet!
eek.gif

When using the SpeakEasy cable with my 2nd generation iPod Touch (iOS 4.2.1), pressing the button to play/pause the music takes a bit of time (there is a lag time).

Using the Voice Memos app, the sound quality is OK with the microphone.
  1. There is definitely background hiss/noise
  2. the volume level is VERY quiet. I'm recording in a quiet room and the microphone is suspended such that there is no cable (microphonic) noise
  3. my voice sounds rather muffled and the sssss sounds are subdued so they're not sibilant (this is pretty much the exact opposite of the Boom Pro Mic cable)
  4. here's the Voice Memo audio clip. I'm talking at a normal volume level: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2816447/voice_memo.m4a
  5. for comparison's sake, here is my Boom Pro Mic audio test: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2816447/Audio_Test_-_Boom_Mac.wav

AND OMG what the heck just happened!? D:
I have the SharePlay cable connected to my MacBook listening to a YouTube video of how to import Voice Memos to your computer, SpeakEasy connected to my iPod Touch which is connected/charging on the same MacBook (no audio playing) and I hear this extremely eerie static sound. If you've ever played the horror game "Slender", a similar kind of static noise is playing. I literally jumped out of my seat because I was NOT expecting that at all... :frowning2:(

A different thing happens with the Clip Zip when it's plugged into the computer.

Word to the wise: don't listen to audio through your computer and another audio device connected to your computer at the same time.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #10,539 of 23,366
Anyone completely dissapointed by these headphones? I feel there is a very big mid bass thump that bleeds through the clarity of the instruments and vocals. These do not seem like very good headphones at all. Could mine possible be defective?

I have been listening to Lana Del Rey and it just doenst sound great at all. Any Rock music I play has horrible separation.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #10,540 of 23,366
Quote:
Anyone completely dissapointed by these headphones? I feel there is a very big mid bass thump that bleeds through the clarity of the instruments and vocals. These do not seem like very good headphones at all. Could mine possible be defective?

I have been listening to Lana Del Rey and it just doenst sound great at all. Any Rock music I play has horrible separation.

Given the fact that V-MODA has an extremely tight quality control process, probably not.

From what I've observed, the separation of instruments is pretty good for the M-100. It's not the best I've heard, but definitely tolerable. I perceive more of a layering effect than a spread-out sound; so the instruments are well separated in depth, but not so much in terms of width (this is really evident with binaurally recorded tracks). This is probably how the instruments and vocals lose clarity because they're just not in-focus, and which I agree that the mids of the M-100 are not its strong point.

I'm listening to Vince Guaraldi Trio's "Skating" song from the A Charlie Brown Christmas [Starbucks Exclusive] album (I'm getting into the holiday spirit :) ) and the instruments are well-separated in depth. Bass guitar in the front-right, the piano a few steps back in center stage, and the drumset/cymbals behind the piano. I sense a similar effect for Nightwish's music (cymbals in back, guitar slightly in-front, female vocals in front of guitar, and the bass pedal/guitar in the front). For Vitas's songs, his falsetto sounds pretty good through the M-100 (though they are still laid-back), but his lower-pitched, "normal-sounding" voice gets drowned out by the bass.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #10,541 of 23,366
Quote:
eek.gif

When using the SpeakEasy cable with my 2nd generation iPod Touch (iOS 4.2.1), pressing the button to play/pause the music takes a bit of time (there is a lag time).

Yeah I noticed there is a bit of a lag time; however, it is not nearly as much as there is with the lag time it takes me to dig into my pocket, unlock the ipod screen, and flip the song manually lol xD!

Side note: Also, the dual output isn't a total loss, you just need to pair it with the right devices, test some things and make sure its working fully & properly before you start pairing them together religiously.
Otherwise, if you pair devices together and you just got the headphones you may think its the headphones fault when its actually yours/the dual outputs -- and end up accidentally sending them back when they're great xD.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #10,542 of 23,366
Im no audio expert, but a few things i noticed (and these might be obvious) turn your EQ to OFF on your phone, my music sounded much, much better when i went from "Electronic / Bass Boost / act" setting to none.  Also check your music quality, not sure if your playing a youtube video or what quality were talking about but that makes a huge difference.  I found separation to be very good

My friend said that $300 were not worth it / didn't sound any better than regular headphones, so i brought them over and he compared them to his old Sonys.  He put on a FLAC file of the first song on how to train your dragon soundtrack...after a few seconds he went "yup these are definitely worth $300 and yes they are alot better"

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #10,543 of 23,366
Quote:
Im no audio expert, but a few things i noticed (and these might be obvious) turn your EQ to OFF on your phone, my music sounded much, much better when i went from "Electronic / Bass Boost / act" setting to none.  Also check your music quality, not sure if your playing a youtube video or what quality were talking about but that makes a huge difference.  I found separation to be very good

My friend said that $300 were not worth it / didn't sound any better than regular headphones, so i brought them over and he compared them to his old Sonys.  He put on a FLAC file of the first song on how to train your dragon soundtrack...after a few seconds he went "yup these are definitely worth $300 and yes they are alot better"

Yeah, YouTube videos don't have the best of sound quality.
Like this video for example:

Straight from a CD, his voice sounds exponentially better than what's in the video

Quote:
Quote:
eek.gif

Yeah I noticed there is a bit of a lag time; however, it is not nearly as much as there is with the lag time it takes me to dig into my pocket, unlock the ipod screen, and flip the song manually lol xD!

Side note: Also, the dual output isn't a total loss, you just need to pair it with the right devices, test some things and make sure its working fully & properly before you start pairing them together religiously.
Otherwise, if you pair devices together and you just got the headphones you may think its the headphones fault when its actually yours/the dual outputs -- and end up accidentally sending them back when they're great xD.

Mhmm that's true. I wrote this thread some time ago explaining how you can have "physical media buttons" on your iPod Touch. Jailbreak the iTouch and installing the "Activator" app via Cydia can allow you to create custom shortcuts for various things. For instance, I have "press volume up and volume down buttons at the same time" to play/pause music, "press and hold volume up" to skip to next track, the opposite for volume down. Very useful indeed, especially when your iTouch is in your pocket and you don't want to take it out. :wink:

For most people though, cables with a button such as the SpeakEasy cable are a huge relief.

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #10,544 of 23,366
Quote:

LOL I felt the same way he did too. And I kept contemplating whether I should cancel my order or not. And right when I thought I was going to do it, they changed to "shipped". So I figured I would wait and I am so happy I did. They sound amazingly better than 50$ and under headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back