V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 13, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #10,441 of 23,366
Quote:
Call me when they make a living room sounding can for $300! I'll be all over it!
I'm tempted to get these since my M-80 isn't very comfortable, but i LOVE the sound. It would be the perfect set if the 160Hz and lower were 3dBs louder. SERIOUSLY.
The M-100 looks to be very close. Tyll and HA liked it so... they influence me. But, Miceblue isn't exactly blown away and he is one of the more active M-100 owners here. So I'm just 2/3 sure that I want them, haha.

What you have to realize, is that he has more experience with a variety of headphones -- and he is listening to different music styles than you.
The amount of utility you will gain from upgrading will probably not be much, depending on your preferences.
Mice has different preferences than you do, just as I have different preferences than other people here as well. I think the problem with Mice is that he, as well as I, would prefer a tiny bit less bass and a bit more detail in the headphones. But that is a personal preference. And I still think the M100 has a lot to offer a lot of people for their individual needs.
The only way you would find out if you prefer these headphones is to give them a test drive yourself.
If it suites your listening needs, then go for it. =)

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #10,442 of 23,366
I think I will be sending mine back. Ill try them for a few more days but im not optemistic. They just aren't very engaging headphones. I dont find myself singing to my songs or bobbing my head. And the more I analyze the sound I feel they just arent worth $300. I need more umph in my mids. I think they are better than the UE600's, Image Ones, and k167s though for what its worth. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #10,443 of 23,366
Quote:

Yeah I suppose this is all true.

I dunno about you guys, but the midrange even with modern music is still there, and the M-100's midrange is still laid-back; so even with modern music, I don't completely feel "into" the music. I'm listening to T-Swift's Speak Now album and it's pretty noticeable that the whole midrange is a few steps back from the bass, and the drumset even further back...it just doesn't sound very lively and engaging to me. I don't think her new Red album would sound much better as it's more poppy and less country, thus making the midrange seem even more laid-back than in Speak Now. The same observations are "seen" with Katy Perry albums, T.I., Timbaland, Carly Rae Jepsen, Far East Movement, Jason Mraz...and the list goes on. I have my fair share in modern music and the midrange just doesn't groove with modern vocal-based tracks in my honest opinion; I certainly don't sing their songs "karaoke-style" like I would with a more midrange-focused headphone.

It's a good lean, there's always gonna be a bit of give and take, but yeah, the slightly laid back mids are what make me miss my DT1350's a tad bit, but the rest of the presentation just makes everything a bit more energetic. But I think this is getting a bit off why bassheads get off on more bass. It's not that the mids don't matter, but there should be a greater amount of lows compared to mids to produce that produces that feel. Granted, technical limitations mean that you won't get that club feeling without a subwoofer, but I suppose you can say there's a reason why people keep saying "DROP THE BASS!" Of course, for people more accustomed to a neutral presentation, things might sound like, "ouch, so much bass!", but in the relative scale of things, a basshead hearing all these comments might think, "gee, I expected more!" It's why I don't agree with calling the M-100's a basshead can. Bass emphasis yes, but it's an incorrect classification callign it a basshead's delight.

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #10,444 of 23,366
Well I just received mine along with my fiio E17 about 8 hours ago. I have listened to them for about two hours. These are my first nice headphones. I had $20 Sonys until now. So take this with a grain of salt. I have a nice system in my car. Its different,  I know but I know bass treble etc in that area and I like it pretty loud

I have an older 07 macbook that I am using. I started by just plugging them into the comp. I just went to youtube. I like Hip-Hop so I started there. They sounded great! Everything was nice and clear. I don;t know the same terms you guys do, but it really did sound good. I was listening with the volume on 100% both on youtube and the comp. I like really loud music, but really it was too loud. but wanted to see what it was like. I LOVEEEEE bass. But, I like it balanced with the vocals. They can't get washed out. It seemed the bass was a bit quiet compared to the vocals. It was there, but I would have liked a bit more. But I could totally accept it for what it was.

I then went to techno. Cazzette "Beam Me Up" it is kind of a bassy song. It did well here to, more bass would have been nice, but not necessary really.

I then decided to plug in the amp. AND DAMN.....

This was a worth while purchase for sure. Went into the setting changed the bass and treble and went back to rap. There was NO way I could listen to the amp, computer and Youtube at 100% It was very loud. The bass, well lets just say that came alive to where there was no need to have it turned up all the way. It was just too much if I did that. Once turned down a bit I turned up the volume and the headphones themselves were vibrating on my ear lol. I changed the treble to match. Everything was loud and clear. It did not sound stressed out at all. the music just felt alive; as if I was 10 feet away from the stage at a concert.  Sounded great. After that song I went to a "safe" listening level. But now I know what these things are capable of.

For fun, I plugged my $20 sonys in with the amp. Ya it helped them, but everything was distorted, they just couldn't handle it.

All in all I am happy with my purchase. I think these will be a good heap-phones overall. Plugged straight into a source it's fine, even if you like bass, its just more mellow. But it won't blow you away like two 2 12" subs in a car until you get an amp....

Sorry if this is super armature, but wanted to put in my .02.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #10,445 of 23,366
Quote:
Call me when they make a living room sounding can for $300! I'll be all over it!
I'm tempted to get these since my M-80 isn't very comfortable, but i LOVE the sound. It would be the perfect set if the 160Hz and lower were 3dBs louder. SERIOUSLY.
The M-100 looks to be very close. Tyll and HA liked it so... they influence me. But, Miceblue isn't exactly blown away and he is one of the more active M-100 owners here. So I'm just 2/3 sure that I want them, haha.

While miceblue is vocal in his M-100 comments and does an excellent job articulating and supporting his opinions, he is also gifted with the ability to present skillfully worded backhanded compliments, i.e. "The M-100 is one of the best portables, but........".  Some of the greatest products ever made have polarizing opinions.  I love my M-100's with no "buts" and have a few hundred posts here about them along with the top review for these on Amazon.  At this point, I think everything that can be said by those who own them has been said.  For everyone on the fence who is more confused than ever by information overload,  I suggest trying them for yourself and if you don't like them, then take advantage of V-Moda's return policy.

Here are my thoughts on the M-100 from my Amazon review:

If you are overwhelmed by the choices of headphones available in the $300 price range, are looking for something to use at home as well as on the go and care about quality sound while also appreciating deep, powerful, tight bass, these are simply the best choice available. The M-100 sounds great with every type of music and really shines with popular and electronic music. In additional to excellent bass, vocals, instruments and highs are detailed and smooth. These don't offer the over-the-top muddy sound of some "rapper cans". The sound is pure, clean and fun. Imaging is great- sound can be perceived coming from all around you which is typically more prevalent in open-back headphones. Even though they are full size headphones, they have an innovative folding design and come with a surprisingly small form-fitting case as well as some nice accessories like the share play cable.

At first, I thought these headphones were not as comfortable as some others due to slightly smaller earcups in comparison, but these have loosened up and have a nice secure fit for active use. I can listen for several hours without discomfort. I can also enjoy these sitting in a chair or exercising.

The M-100 goes as loud as I need with my Iphone 4, so you don't need an amp. However, as with most headphones, they can benefit from an amp and can handle higher volumes as well as boosted bass. I own the white version and they look fantastic- a modern, industrial work of art.

I have literally auditioned dozens of headphones in every price range and the M-100 is the best, most enjoyable headphone to my ears that I have heard under $1,000. If I sound like an M-100 fanboy, it's because they are that good and have earned the praise.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #10,446 of 23,366
I just got mine!
One question, inside the clam-shell case there are some straps to secure the cables. They seem to be screwed into the body of the case. Are they supposed to be left like that? Its a kind of unusual design...
On another note, the packaging/presentation of these headphones is amazing! And I live in Japan, so I know what I'm talking about :wink:

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #10,448 of 23,366
Ordered mine off amazon on Dec 11 and they shipped Dec 12.  As of today, they are in my town and are waiting for delivery, will probably see them tomorrow!

I bought my dad some crossfade LPs for christmas, so ill be able to compare the two after the 25th.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #10,450 of 23,366
Quote:
I just got mine!
One question, inside the clam-shell case there are some straps to secure the cables. They seem to be screwed into the body of the case. Are they supposed to be left like that? Its a kind of unusual design...
On another note, the packaging/presentation of these headphones is amazing! And I live in Japan, so I know what I'm talking about
wink.gif

Yup that's how it's supposed to be. The "scew" is part of the button on the outside of the case. It's pretty ingenious if you ask me, as with the rest of the M-100 package and design. :p

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #10,451 of 23,366
just received my m-100's today and thus far i Love them. 
they were sent monday and i received them today on thursday
i heard the carrying case was small but when i opened the box i was amazed by how small that case was.
my shields look amazing but dang those bolts were on there tight... took me like 30 mins to put them on
the bass is very nice on these cans already but once i get some burn in im going to test them with my z02.3, should be amazing

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #10,453 of 23,366
Quote:
I just got mine!
On another note, the packaging/presentation of these headphones is amazing! And I live in Japan, so I know what I'm talking about
wink.gif

The straps are very specifically made.

The one side with the "2" small straps is made to hold the Faders VIP (earplugs) case.  The other side strap holds the 1/4" adapter and a USB memory stick.  You can of course put other things there, but that was the though process.

This way the case was designed to neatly hold:

1) M-100
2) cable #1
3) cable #2
4) earplugs
5) 1/4" adapter
6) USB Memory stick (for DJs this is essential as it is your "CDS" or Vinyl now days

I think it was a pretty clever design if I do say so myself, it took me MANY MANY prototype stages and sketches to figure it out.  I still love the LP/M-80 case too with the removable V-STRAP system, but the M-100 is just so compact.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back