V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 11, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #10,366 of 23,366
It looks like I'll be getting my hands on the M 100 soon :wink:  Can't wait to play with them.  I enjoyed the M80s and Vibrato quite a bit (although the Vibrato wasn't my exact cup of tea, it was still very well tuned).  Can't wait to try the M100 :)

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #10,369 of 23,366
I just figured that when you have the two inputs with different sounds they fade out to fit your volume just right and balanced.. NICE right?!? That's not all. I just had a 40 minute conversation with a friend and he said he could hear my music fed from the share-play to my headphones to my cell with the orange cable media cable. I guess I just found my background music player for cellphones. LOL! 
size]
 I have a pretty big head and ears that would only seem appropriate for a 6'2" person and I find them REALLY comfortable, hot, but comfortable! I am happy to say that the headband helps my partially long and crazy hair stay in place... A bit of head pressure after using them just now for 15 or so minutes but who cares.. time will fix that.. Using them hanging form the neck makes them feel tight but not really squeezing your throat. Music can still be heard pretty well and clear but have nothing to envy or go against speakers, and who would share music like that anymore, just hook yours here *points at other port on HP*... 
size]

BASS response is real good but does not give that feel that crumbles every fiber in my body, of course I can't expect them to be like a concert feeling but I wanted it to shake my head a bit more, which might not have delighted many people but they are certainly the best pair I've had. I get a bit of cracking in mid range but it might just be me.. DAMN! I just Black-mill just blew my head with a bass drop... 
size]

Take this as a users daily life impressions, most of us just have certain this and comforts we look for.. Pretty convincing this pair!

Correction: Them BASS.. Skullcrushed by MODESTEP! Please don't hate because Dub wubs.... 

PS: ORDERED OCT.17 Recieved 11/12/12. Unboxed 12/12/12.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #10,371 of 23,366
Quote:
The thing I really hate is that people think Beats are good (scratch that.... AMAZING), just because of that terrible bass that they produce. People at my school ask to borrow other peoples' solos all the time and are like, "wow they sound great" .. kids give a face like they're in awe.
Then I'm with my M50s, V modas, or senns, and people are like... "dem beats", "what kind of beats are those?", "are they as good as beats" ( then i'm like... no sh**)..
what pisses me off the most, is that when they use my headphones, they're like. "they're pretty good" ( but nothing special look), but when they try the beats, even those horrendous solos, they look very satisfied and say good things..
Truth is... I'm like the only person in my whole school, with good cans. EVERYONE, wear or praises Beats. Best advantage is, no one ever asks to try my V-modas, and back 3 yrs, when i got into headphones, I had beats and everyone wanted to try them. Very annoying,
STILL WAITING FOR MY M100s TO BE SHIPPED -_- Who else?

It's an epidemic I tell you! I bring my M80s to class all the time, I have 3 other buddies who actually own Beats (2 Studios 1 Solo HD). I've had multiple comments on "What are those?" and people asking to try them asking "Are these as good as beats?" - They'll try them and instantly take them off saying "The bass isn't as good" settling it at that. I tell them these are a much more overall quality headphone than beats, the bass is clearer, more driven etc. and mids and trebles really shine through these headphones. I always tell them how people actually review the M80s to be better than the $400 pros, I've even GIVEN and SHOWN them multiple reviews stating exactly this! Guess what their response is! "Dude, that is just one guys opinion, I can find hundreds of people and reviews that say beats are better than whatever those are, your headphones suck".

I guess you never prove the stubborn wrong, but everytime I don't but a pair of Beats I know I made the right investment :)

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #10,372 of 23,366
Quote:
Holy crap these are really hurting headphones. I like the sound so far but these cans really do hurt my ears, especially tip of the ears. 

Has anyone returned these because of this problem?

- The first week or so is going to be a pain. I have relatively large ears, and I've owned my Crossfade LPs for over 2 years now. When I first bought mine the ear pads were in absolutely excrutiating pain simply because my ears weren't used to having that pressure on my ears for long periods of time. All I can say is, your ears within a week or so with relatively solid usage will adapt, don't just sell your headphones because they are uncomfortable for the first week or so! I can keep my Crossfade's on now for roughly 4-5 hours before I feel like my ears are getting tired some. You have to realize that over time your ear pads and headband will eventually mold it self to your skull to some extent.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #10,373 of 23,366
It's an epidemic I tell you! I bring my M80s to class all the time, I have 3 other buddies who actually own Beats (2 Studios 1 Solo HD). I've had multiple comments on "What are those?" and people asking to try them asking "Are these as good as beats?" - They'll try them and instantly take them off saying "The bass isn't as good" settling it at that. I tell them these are a much more overall quality headphone than beats, the bass is clearer, more driven etc. and mids and trebles really shine through these headphones. I always tell them how people actually review the M80s to be better than the $400 pros, I've even GIVEN and SHOWN them multiple reviews stating exactly this! Guess what their response is! "Dude, that is just one guys opinion, I can find hundreds of people and reviews that say beats are better than whatever those are, your headphones suck".

I guess you never prove the stubborn wrong, but everytime I don't but a pair of Beats I know I made the right investment :)

I've were to ever buy a pair of beats, then I'd banish you from the head-fi realm! i know man... i speant 2 yrs going through what you have... now. i just shut up, listen to my music. if people ask: "are they better than beats?". i just say: "yeah". nothing else.... if they disagree, i no longer say anything.

however, since i'm the "headphone guy" in my school.. or at least to my friends. they ocasionally ask me about advice on what headphones to invest on. one idiot friend of mine, still bought some beats tours, after i told him 1000s of times all the bad things about beats. obviously this guy was not going for sound, he's just following the trend. dude had already tried my m80s & m50s, yet still has nerve to say, "they sound good?" i just shamefully agree, so he would not feel bad about making such a terrible purchase.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #10,375 of 23,366
Quote:
I've were to ever buy a pair of beats, then I'd banish you from the head-fi realm! i know man... i speant 2 yrs going through what you have... now. i just shut up, listen to my music. if people ask: "are they better than beats?". i just say: "yeah". nothing else.... if they disagree, i no longer say anything.
however, since i'm the "headphone guy" in my school.. or at least to my friends. they ocasionally ask me about advice on what headphones to invest on. one idiot friend of mine, still bought some beats tours, after i told him 1000s of times all the bad things about beats. obviously this guy was not going for sound, he's just following the trend. dude had already tried my m80s & m50s, yet still has nerve to say, "they sound good?" i just shamefully agree, so he would not feel bad about making such a terrible purchase.

It's not only the fact that they are following a trend but so many kids are corrupted by ****ty rap music that they believe more bass translates into a better quality sounding headphone! I hear kids all the time saying "Oh wheres the bass" "needs more bass" bla bla bla! 80% of our youth is corrupted hahahahaha!

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #10,376 of 23,366
From memory, and what I posted in previous posts the M-100 still has a bit of a bass emphasis, and still extends deeper, BUT it is much closer to the M-80's sound signature than unmodded/regular M-100 pads.

Summing up what I notice with my LP/LP2 pads:

I'll have to re-visit a local Radio Shack store to compare the two head-on [apply directly to the forehead] as my recollection of the M-80's bass is a bit fuzzy since I wasn't focusing on that aspect of the sound.

Thanks man, that's really helpful :)

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #10,377 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

It's not only the fact that they are following a trend but so many kids are corrupted by ****ty rap music that they believe more bass translates into a better quality sounding headphone! I hear kids all the time saying "Oh wheres the bass" "needs more bass" bla bla bla! 80% of our youth is corrupted hahahahaha!

Hey that was me back in 2008 when I purchased a pair of V-MODA Vibe (generation 2) earphones from Costco. I was so amazed at the bass response out of them that that was the only thing that I really cared about at the time. I can't tell you how many times I played Justin Timberlake's "What Goes Around... Comes Around" at 128160 kbps [I still have the music file] with my Creative MuVo T100 PMP, with the bass boost on. I was so impressed with them that I started letting my friends try them and they too were amazed at how good they sounded.

V-MODA was the company that got me interested in higher-quality audio and I actually did a business project that year trying to "sell" V-MODA's Vibe earphones. I ended up not doing very well on the project because my public speaking skills at the time were terrible.

Here was my "Apple employee" business card. Back in the day, Apple Stores sold V-MODA's earphones.

Here was my V-MODA "catalog"

^ back in the day, V-MODA featured Comply foam tips as an optional accessory

And then I prepared a list of questions that the customer might ask me:
Quote:
1. These earbuds have too much bass...
A. You can ‘push-in’ the silicone ear pieces so that it’s flush against the earbud’s body and metal sound ‘tube’.

2. What if I get a pair of defective earbuds or something happens to them?
A. You have to send an e-mail to V-Moda who will then give you a warranty form for you to fill out. Then, you can ship your defective earbuds to them and they will send you a replacement one. We don’t deal with third-party products’ warranties.

3. What comes in the package?
A. The V-Moda Vibes come with the earbuds themselves a black leather carrying pouch, a ‘Modawrap’ cable manager, one pair of black silicone ear pieces (S, M and L), one pair of clear silicone ear pieces (S, M, and L), a 1 year limited warranty, and a VIP membership card.

4. In-ear earbuds are gross!
A. You can actually clean these types of headphones quite easily. To clean them, you just dab some rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab or Q-Tip and wipe the silicone ear pieces.

5. These silicone ear-pieces don’t fit my ear very well.
A. You can try the other sizes to see if they fit your ears better. Generally, the medium ear pieces are used. If they don’t fit your ears, you could try purchasing the Comply Foam Tips for your earbuds, which might adapt to your ear better.

6. Metal earbuds?!? Won’t that feel weird when I put them in my ear?
A. Absolutely not! These earbuds were designed so that they don’t touch your ear at all, just the silicone ear pieces. Even if they do touch your ears, you could always warm them up in your hand before inserting them into your ears.

7. I like these earbuds, but the plug-in-jack won’t fit in my iPhone...
A. V-Moda also sells the Vibe earbuds for the iPhone. They call it the Vibe Duo, which has a built in microphone. Also, V-Moda’s current model of the Vibe, which we have, does indeed fit the iPhone’s headphone jack.

8. I don’t like this chrome color, it’s too flashy.
A. We also offer a gunmetal black body with black metal bands, a red body with black metal bands, a gold body with red metal bands, a dark blue body with black metal bands, and a pink body with chrome metal bands. If you prefer the Vibe Duo earbuds, we have a gunmetal black body with red metal bands, a black body with chrome metal bands, and an all chrome color.

9. Do I have to put the silicone buds on my earbuds, they’re slightly uncomfortable.
A. You don’t have to, but it fits your ears better and prevents them from falling out. Also, the silicone ear pieces insolate the bass more, so you’ll get more out of your music with them on.

10. I don’t like the metal parts of these earbuds; they’ll scratch up my iPod when in my pocket...
A. That’s why V-Moda included a leather carrying case with the earbuds, use it to store your earbuds and to protect your iPod while in you pocket.

11. My friend bought a pair of these a couple years ago, why do your earbuds sound less “bassy” than his?
A. V-Moda changed their earbuds since your friend bought them. After receiving customer feedback from their fans, they toned down the bass. The less ‘bassy’ ones are the ones we sell since they’re the current, up to date models.

12. I wish these earbuds isolated more background noise than this...
A. You can purchase a separate ear piece for your earbuds from V-Moda’s website called Comply Foam Tips, which are used by professionals and insulate noise much better.

13. All of these package deal items make the earbuds expensive, are these worth buying?
A. No no, the package contents of these earbuds hardly cost V-Moda anything. What you’re paying for are the sound quality you get out of these earbuds and the durability. V-Moda’s earbuds’ sound quality, durability, customer service, and package contents all make up the price as with any earbud or headphone of the same price.

14. I’ve never heard of V-Moda, are they reliable?
A. Yes! V-Moda’s Vibe earbuds are one of our top selling earbuds! They provide great customer service and are very reliable. They just don’t have the brand name like Bose or Sony that provide the automatic thought that they are the best in the market.

15. This cord feels pretty cheap and I don’t think it’ll last very long.
A. The cord is actually quite durable. V-Moda researched and designed their cables to be the most suitable for athletes and did rigorous straining tests to make sure that these are the best cords that could be built for these earbuds. If you don’t abuse the cord, it’ll last you for years.

16. What makes these earbuds better than Bose, Sennheiser, or Sony’s earbuds?
A. For some people, the Bose, Sennheiser, and Sony may sound better to them than these, but for the people who purchase the Vibes, they buy it for either the affordability, the build quality of the earbud, the stylish looks of the earbud, or the warmer sound associated with these due to the emphasis on the low end of the sound spectrum.

17. These earbuds are pretty hefty in price, what’s wrong with the $20 ones from Fred Meyer?
A. The $20 dollar ones from local retail stores that don’t specialize in selling music products tend to sound the same as the free earbuds that come with your MP3 player. Even though the more expensive earbuds have a bigger hit on your budget than these kinds of earbuds, you will notice immediately the difference in sound between the two. The cheaper earbuds tend to have a lower range of sound, less bass, don’t insolate noise, last shorter because of a cheaper quality material, don’t come with as much package contents, don’t have a warranty, and produce a muddy sound for your music.

18. This cord seems kind of short for my liking...
A. You can buy a separate cable extension not made by V-Moda at various audiophile or other retail stores such as Fry’s Electronics or Magnolia Hi-Fi

19. In terms of the sound range, how do these earbuds compare with its competitors?
A. V-Moda has an interesting approach to the sound the Vibes produce. The Vibes, unlike many of its competitors focuses on the lower spectrum of sound, meaning more lows and bass with less highs and mid-ranged sounds. The lowering of highs and mids is what many customer complaints are about, but because they didn’t expect this result from these earbuds. The lower mids and highs produce a warmer tone to your music which is why these earbuds are so popular in comparison to the more ‘cold’ and ‘harsh’ sounds of  their competitors, which have a more treble based earbud that make your music sound flatter.

20. What’s the difference between BLISS and normal silicone fittings for earbuds?
A. BLISS (Bass Level Insulating Soft Silicone) earbuds were tested by V-Moda and were found that they reduce ambient noise better than its competitors as well as insolating the bass much better, thus getting more bass in your music than what you would hear from normal silicone ear pieces.

21. These earbuds seem so light and cheap, I think they’ll break in a couple of months of use.
A. These earbuds actually last for quite some time. With the way V-Moda researched and built the cables for their Vibes, they can last for a long time. The bodies of the earbuds are made of aluminum and are thus even more durable than competitors such as Sony or Bose, which are all made of plastic.

22. Why do these earbuds have a straight jack as opposed to an “L-jack?” I prefer the L-jack...
A. V-Moda researched what shape jack was the best for MP3 players and they found that many MP3 players can be put in a pocket with the headphone jack facing towards the sky. With that in mind, they designed the jack so that it had the least amount of stress on the cable, which was done by making a straight jack. The L-jack tends to put more stress on the cable and thus breaks more easily, a common problem with Sony’s headphones’ cables.

23. I like to jog around the neighborhood for exercise; won’t these earbuds make a lot of noise when they rub against my clothes?
A. This happens with any in-ear designed headphones. V-Moda designed their earbuds’ cables so that they make the least amount of noise while jogging and still keep their durability. They spent hours jogging to test which cables worked the best and they found that the best cable length was 37 inches (not too short and not too long) and 2.2 millimeters thick (not too thick and not too thin). Like any other in-ear designed earbuds however, they still make some noise when you’re exercising.

24. My friend said that Shure and Bose make legendary sounding earbuds, why should I even bother with this brand?
A. Sure makes good earbuds, I have to say that. But as you can see here, these cost $250 dollars, which is a pretty hefty price for a pair of earbuds. If you’re just using these earbuds for casual wear and usage, I don’t recommend buying the Shures. Bose on the other hand is much more affordable and is also one of our top selling earbuds. Bose however, don’t have a unique sound like the Vibes and are more balanced and flat sounding compared to the Vibes.

25. What if I’m not satisfied with these earbuds? I know that Bose has a 30 day risk-free trial offer.
A. If you purchase these earbuds online at www.v-moda.com, they also offer a 30 day risk-free trial.

Wow, I suddenly remember how much fun I had putting together this project! I sound so much like a V-MODA fanboy. >_<
I guess their product research really does go back a long ways.

It's unfortunate that my Vibes' cable died at the straight jack, killing the audio out of the left earpiece. Otherwise, this experience was definitely one of my most memorable ones in terms of audio. Even with the Senn CX-300's lasting me 4 years, I miss the sound out of the Vibes.

Four years later, I'm back with another V-MODA purchase and I am still amazed at the product research, thought, and design they put into the M-100. :D

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #10,378 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey that was me back in 2008 when I purchased a pair of V-MODA Vibe (generation 2) earphones from Costco. I was so amazed at the bass response out of them that that was the only thing that I really cared about at the time. I can't tell you how many times I played Justin Timberlake's "What Goes Around... Comes Around" at 128kbps with my Creative MuVo T100 PMP, with the bass boost on. I was so impressed with them that I started letting my friends try them and they too were amazed at how good they sounded.

We were all there once! But this is a $300 investment! Hahaha, that project looked awesome though!

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #10,379 of 23,366
Quote:

- The first week or so is going to be a pain. I have relatively large ears, and I've owned my Crossfade LPs for over 2 years now. When I first bought mine the ear pads were in absolutely excrutiating pain simply because my ears weren't used to having that pressure on my ears for long periods of time. All I can say is, your ears within a week or so with relatively solid usage will adapt, don't just sell your headphones because they are uncomfortable for the first week or so! I can keep my Crossfade's on now for roughly 4-5 hours before I feel like my ears are getting tired some. You have to realize that over time your ear pads and headband will eventually mold it self to your skull to some extent.

Yeah I was in the same boat having to pull the headphones off my ears for a breather every hour. It does start to get better. I have had these now since last Friday and the comfort level has improved drastically. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #10,380 of 23,366
Quote:

Yeah I was in the same boat having to pull the headphones off my ears for a breather every hour. It does start to get better. I have had these now since last Friday and the comfort level has improved drastically. 

Yep, and I found that putting my headphones on a teddy bear overnight for the first week helped reduce clamping force dramatically. I can report the same 4-5 hours without major discomfort. 

As for V-Moda vs Beats, my cousin (17), who has Studios, snapped the M-100s off my head when I was hanging out with her and tried them out. The look on her face was pretty insane when she was listening to:

Koan Sound – Funk Blaster

and

Nero – Doomsday

She said, with in an inquisitive tone, "These are better than Beats, aren't they?". She did me proud right there. This was despite being in a crowded space just off Piccadilly Circus. She looked fairly stunned that something could be better. So even if she never buys M-100s and stays with Beats I'm happy that she won't show her Beats off to her friends any more thinking they're the best ever. After all, word-of-mouth is the most effective form of marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back