V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #8,206 of 23,366
Cheers guys, glad I'm not going crazy. I actually think it's bad recording/mastering or if it's purposefully part of the track, then the sound engineer's a wacko. Oh wait....wacko jacko - honestly that just came to me :D.

You know there is some guy playing the hell outta that triangle or bell or whatever is making that noise. I'm sure the recording session went something like this famous documentary on The Blue Oyster Cult's biggest hit: http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/458l

RE: noise canceling or wireless headsets.
I will probably NEVER reach for either of these gimmicks in a headphone for music pleasure again. Wireless headsets work by playing the inverse sound of whatever environmental sound to cancel it out into your ear, a theory which does alright in practice, but you get a background hiss, the cancelation sometimes bleeds into messing with the music, and you run into distortion problems with the internal amp. Wireless headphones have similar problems, and it's worth considering how much of the purchase price goes into the internal amp, DAC, sound processors, transmitters and other doo-dads that are built-in and unable to be upgraded.

I did have an active noise-canceling headphone for a while to use on planes... Other than the hassle of batteries, the noise-canceling actually made listening to music fatiguing more quickly for me than the IEMs that are my buddy now.

For what it's worth, IEMs are far more noise isolating than any active noise-canceling headset, and obviously more portable. The dampening is so profound, I had my dad yelling at me during a Macworld Expo, and I had to ask if he was actually talking or just mouthing words to be funny. Another benefit is that, in creating such a quiet listening environment, it is easy to listen to music at quieter volumes. I use my 6 year old Etymotic ER6i IEMS on airplane rides every time, they worked perfect for me once I figured out which interchangable ear tip was most comfortable for me (surprisingly, the large silicon ear tips. Etymotic also started an interesting custom earmold coupon program recently). When I'm in a place where I'll need to hear some urgent sounds from the real world, or if I need to be able to take off my headphone frequently, I'd rather use closed headphones like the M-100 (My LPs have good enough isolation for me, most of the time).

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #8,207 of 23,366
Quote:
Amp improves SQ. Also, they're on a mac, so no combined mic/headphone port. They need the VOIP adapter.

Daphen, wouldn't it work best if you got the VOIP adapter, plugged the headphone into the end of the VOIP adapter, plug the headphone jack into the amp, amp into computer, then the mic jack right into the computer?

im well aware. i just thought that daphen took issue with splitting it via voip adapter.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #8,208 of 23,366
Quote:
Try this!

Try this :)

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #8,209 of 23,366
I haven't compared to M-80.  I can only tell you that I was out walking today.  Cars were driving by and I could barely hear them.  If you fly quite a bit, Bose still has the best noise cancellation available from what I have read, but you are back to batteries.  The M-100 isolates as well as other circumaural headphones I have used.

Ok cool thanks for the info.

Has anyone else rocked the M 100's on a plane yet? I'd prefer not to use noise cancellation phones unless they were passive. I love the sounds of my M 80's but they leave more to be desired while flying as I can typically hear the rumble of the engine noise pretty loud and clear.

Thanks everyone.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #8,210 of 23,366
Quote:
Has anyone else rocked the M 100's on a plane yet? I'd prefer not to use noise cancellation phones unless they were passive. I love the sounds of my M 80's but they leave more to be desired while flying as I can typically hear the rumble of the engine noise pretty loud and clear.
Thanks everyone.

Buy a pair of Faders to go with your M100s, from what I know they block out nearly all outside noise and isolate what you are playing through your headphones.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #8,211 of 23,366
Thanks everyone.

See my post above for thoughts on headphones best suited for airplane travel. The LP I have, which is semi-circumaural on my largish ears, has a better seal than on-ear headphones like the M80. It won't make the real world dead silent... If you want that, the only thing capable of that from my experience has been IEMs, side-by-side testing I personally got a much better seal and fit with Etymotic than Shure headphones.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #8,212 of 23,366
Quote:
I've heard the the noise isolation is on par with the M80's... Is this true? Because I am on an airplane at least twice weekly (usually more) and the M80's do not isolate enough sound for me to be completely satisfied... I want to buy the 100's but I need to know with absolutely certainty that the isolation is better.

IME, the M-100s offer significantly more isolation than the M-80s, but I have yet to use them on a plane. On the subway, I can still hear a slight rumbling of the track and the subway PA announcements can be heard, but are unintelligible, unlike the M-80s. I've noticed that just wearing with no music playing makes it difficult to hear someone talking right next to you.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #8,213 of 23,366
IME, the M-100s offer significantly more isolation than the M-80s, but I have yet to use them on a plane. On the subway, I can still hear a slight rumbling of the track and the subway PA announcements can be heard, but are unintelligible, unlike the M-80s. I've noticed that just wearing with no music playing makes it difficult to hear someone talking right next to you.

Excellent. I *think* this is what I needed to know. I'll try and look out for more reviews and keep monitoring this forum... BUT OMG I want these so badly and your post has pushed me even more... Just trying to make the wisest choice possible. I will look into etymotic as well for In-Ear stuff..

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #8,214 of 23,366
Quote:
Excellent. I *think* this is what I needed to know. I'll try and look out for more reviews and keep monitoring this forum... BUT OMG I want these so badly and your post has pushed me even more... Just trying to make the wisest choice possible. I will look into etymotic as well for In-Ear stuff..

Have you read this review? It mentions plane use.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623154/v-moda-m-100-vtf-100-appreciation-thread-images-impressions-reviews/30#post_8660565

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #8,217 of 23,366
So... has anyone listened to:

Three Six Mafia - Late Night Tip

on the M100s?!?

:p

P.S. If someone posted a youtube Video of this already, sorry, cannot watch them at work...

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #8,220 of 23,366
I've heard the the noise isolation is on par with the M80's... Is this true? Because I am on an airplane at least twice weekly (usually more) and the M80's do not isolate enough sound for me to be completely satisfied... I want to buy the 100's but I need to know with absolutely certainty that the isolation is better.

From my brief experience with the M-80, I think the M-100 does isolate better. I found that it doesn't isolate as well as my SRH940 (Innerfidelity states that it has a -14 dB noise reduction), but I can let you guys know tomorrow afternoon after I take the M-100's on a bus, walking on school campus, and at a shopping mall with and without music playing.

As for listening on a plane, the SRH940 did an OK job at blocking the engine noise, so personally I wouldn't recommend the M-100 for an airplane ride since it has less noise isolation.

Regarding earpads, I can confidently confirm that the M-100 earpads are slightly different from those of the LP/LP2's. The size of the ear holes seem to be about the same in height, the M-100 seems to be a bit smaller in length, and the thickness of the padding of the M-100's pads seems larger. The firmness and materials of the pads are also different. The M-100's pads feel much more pliable and less stiff than that of the LP/LP2's and the material seems to be smoother in texture (the LP/LP2's materials seems rougher in comparison).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back