V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 29, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #6,886 of 23,366
Quote:
Every major smartphone made for the LTE network (except Apple's) uses the inferior Snapdragon S4 from Qualcomm and not the Tegra chip which includes the Wolfson DAC.  The Tegra is only available in the international model of the Galaxy S3.

The reason the international model uses the Tegra is because its release predates the announcement of LTE networks in Europe, which is why, sadly, the Nokia 920 will be using the S4 as well.

I don't know whether the DAC on Apple's custom chip for the iP5 is better than the S4's, the same or worse, but surely there must be reports on that subject by now.  The iP5 is the first iteration built for LTE, so it's possible there's been a sonic sacrifice (aieeeeeee!).  I'm forgetting whether the Nexus 7 uses the Wolfson or not -- it does have the Tegra -- but that might be an option if you're willing to carry around a wireless HD for your music.

Personally, I'm probably getting an iteration of the Galaxy (either the Note 2 or the Nexus, if there is one) because of the digital line out and the fact you can use it with an inexpensive DAC).  I briefly thought about the iP5 but demoed it in the store, wasn't as impressed as I was initially with the iP4 (mostly because of the screen) and thought the UI wasn't as fun as I remembered.  Then the whole map issue emerged and I lost interest.  Part of me is fiending for the 920 (and apparently for the 90s), but I'm not about to sacrifice Jellybean's rooting-dependent external DAC option now that it's available.  I'm still using the original Galaxy S with Voodoo and Neutron because it's the last U.S. model that sounded good.

The album was just released, but I haven't listened because I've had tons to do (in fact, I'm doing a reading at the Tribes Gallery tonight).  However, I did auricle his performance at the iTunes Festival last week, where he's doing a bit of new material and a lot of remixes:

So you're saying the EU version of the 920 might have a better DAC then the US version? If so, I'll jump and scream of happiness. :)

Sep 29, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #6,887 of 23,366
I really wish I were saying that, daphen.  Unfortunately, LTE networks are now being unveiled in Europe, and I believe that all iterations of the 920 use the S4 and not the Tegra. The determining factor is the network, not any other consideration.  The 920 is supposed to be the latest cutting-edge phone and it is surely as equipped for LTE as the most recent international iPhone.

That's why I'm most interested in the next generation of LTE-ready chips. 

Personally, I'd love to have the 920's screen and camera as well as a true digital audio out.  But we aren't going to know whether it can do that until it actually has a developers' community on forums like XDA. Windows 8 Mobile/Modern/Metro (etc.) -- as sculpted for this phone -- is an unknown quantity in that regard.  The delay in the 920 launch is partly because Microsoft is still finessing the software.

Sep 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #6,888 of 23,366
Quote:
I really wish I were saying that, daphen.  Unfortunately, LTE networks are now being unveiled in Europe, and I believe that all iterations of the 920 use the S4 and not the Tegra. The determining factor is the network, not any other consideration.  The 920 is supposed to be the latest cutting-edge phone and it is surely as equipped for LTE as the most recent international iPhone.

Personally, I'd love to have the 920's screen and camera as well as a true digital audio out.  But we aren't going to know whether it can do that until it actually has a developers' community on forums like XDA. Windows 8 Mobile/Modern/Metro (etc.) -- as sculpted for this phone -- is an unknown quantity in that regard.  The delay in the 920 launch is partly because Microsoft is still finessing the software.

Ah well, I barrely use my phone as a mediaplayer anymore anyways, not right now at least, I'm always at my computer when I study. If you connect the FiiO E17 with the ipod cable to an old ipod video 60GB, will it work as a DAC?

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #6,889 of 23,366

Windows Phone 7 has been around for almost 2 years now, I'd say it's proven itself, and that it would be a safe bet that Windows Phone 8 won't stray too far from the formula that makes WP7 a great phone OS. WP7 has a loyal developer following that will almost certainly make the leap to WP8. I'd say the limiting factor in audio options would be Microsoft and not the hardware manufacturers.

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #6,890 of 23,366
Ah well, I barrely use my phone as a mediaplayer anymore anyways, not right now at least, I'm always at my computer when I study. If you connect the FiiO E17 with the ipod cable to an old ipod video 60GB, will it work as a DAC?

No. Only through Line-Out-Dock to USB can the external device act as a DAC. The E17 (Line-Out-Dock to mini-jack) in your case acts as an amp only.

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #6,892 of 23,366
So is there anything I should be buying to pair with my iPhone 4 that will improve the sound quality when I use it with my M-100s (i.e., FiiO E11)? Or am I basically stuck with whatever sound quality I get when listening out of my iPhone 4? 

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #6,893 of 23,366
Hey all,

I'm so disappointed in myself for not having my design for the ear shields ready in time to order the VTF-100s. I think I was only a few days off too :l   Im just wondering, when I order the M-100s, what do I not get anymore? The faders, cork, and second pair of shields, I know I miss out on (god damnit...) but is there anything else that's different?

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #6,894 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey all,

I'm so disappointed in myself for not having my design for the ear shields ready in time to order the VTF-100s. I think I was only a few days off too :l   Im just wondering, when I order the M-100s, what do I not get anymore? The faders, cork, and second pair of shields, I know I miss out on (god damnit...) but is there anything else that's different?

Faders, shields, a cable, and boom mic.  The rest is the same

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #6,895 of 23,366
So is there anything I should be buying to pair with my iPhone 4 that will improve the sound quality when I use it with my M-100s (i.e., FiiO E11)? Or am I basically stuck with whatever sound quality I get when listening out of my iPhone 4? 

If you're on a budget, external amps (such as FiiO's products) usually provide better sound-quality than the iPhone's standard headphone-out port if you use a Line-Out-Dock to mini-jack connector.

If you can manage to spend $400+ for an external DAC/amp or DAC+amp, devices that use a Line-Out-Dock to USB connector (such as the Fostex HP-P1).

Faders, shields, a cable, and boom mic.  The rest is the same

Was the boom microphone officially confirmed? I know we were talking about it, Val released a photo via Twitter, and that was it. I don't think he ever said it would come with the VTF's.
A second pair of shields (with an optional engraving), Faders VIP, and a package that you can "keep forever" were in fact confirmed by Val.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #6,896 of 23,366
Quote:
I listened to one of Merzbow's songs for 10 seconds before turning it off and thinking "what the Pho did I just listen to?...I would listen to dubstep any time, any day before whatever this "music" is." And that's saying a lot since I don't particularly care for dubstep. >.>

As Curly alluded to, you have to be in a unique state of mind to appreciate the nuances of Merzbow.  For me, I like to prepare lasagna, clean my compound mitre saw, or bust sod while it's buzzing melody grinds it's way into the carbon essence of everything around it.  Regardless I wasn't looking for a musical debate.  Just wanted to hear AnakChan's impression of its range in relation with the M-100.  Needless to say I think Anak is overwhelmed by all the review requests at this point so I'll withdraw my request.  Besides we'll all be able to hear it for ourselves soon.  How freaking cool is that?  Seemed like this day would never come. Yet here we are!

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #6,897 of 23,366
Quote:
Was the boom microphone officially confirmed? I know we were talking about it, Val released a photo via Twitter, and that was it. I don't think he ever said it would come with the VTF's.
A second pair of shields (with an optional engraving), Faders VIP, and a package that you can "keep forever" were in fact confirmed by Val.

Val only said there was an "extra" treat over and above the things you mentioned that were confirmed and later posted a picture of the boom mic.  You're right though, I was making a little bit of an assumption that the two were linked.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #6,898 of 23,366
Quote:
I'd say the limiting factor in audio options would be Microsoft and not the hardware manufacturers.

That's why the whole question as to whether the 920 will have a true digital audio out hinges on the software, which I thought I'd clearly said was my main concern. 

Windows 8 for mobile devices is a different beast from Windows 7 and we're only looking at the cusp of what it's going to become in 2013.  Sony learned not to underestimate Microsoft with the introduction of the XBox.  Time will tell whether we're looking at a third-tier contender or another stealth lesson in humility.

To others:

Discussions of DACs used in/with smartphones are pertinent to the M100, which was certainly designed to work well with mobile devices.  Besides, isn't a bit of OT discussion preferable to hourly declarations of impatience?  Sometimes a distraction makes the time pass more quickly.

§§§§§§§§​

To the person who mentioned Borderlands 2:  I thought the music in the trailer sounded familiar and then I saw the credits for the soundtrack:

Borderlands 2 Soundtrack

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #6,899 of 23,366
Is it really necessary to have another forum for the M-100?  So what if there are over 400 pages in here. DJSquared can update his post on the first page to let everone know the review section begins on such and such page.  There are already 9 pages of junk over there that will have to be sifted through anyhow. The forum name is misleading as well..."M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread"... What is a VTF?  There's no such thing.  It was just a promo code name to order the first production run.  Plus there's that completely pointless 'Poll' question at the top of every page using up valuable posting space. 

The sheer volume of posts in here generates a buzz in itself to any newcomer.  For example: I would be more inclined to have a look into "Grannies Panties Boutique" if there are hundreds of crazed, incensed shoppers beating the doors down to get in rather than stroll into an empty Victoria's Secret.  I'd probably still go into Victoria's Secret but you get my point.

This is where they were born and raised (kinda, sorta).  This is where all the speculation erupted and ideas were brought to life.  I'd like to see the reviews stay in here. 

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #6,900 of 23,366
Quote:
Is it really necessary to have another forum for the M-100?  So what if there are over 400 pages in here. DJSquared can update his post on the first page to let everone know the review section begins on such and such page.  There are already 9 pages of junk over there that will have to be sifted through anyhow. The forum name is misleading as well..."M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread"... What is a VTF?  There's no such thing.  It was just a promo code name to order the first production run.  Plus there's that completely pointless 'Poll' question at the top of every page using up valuable posting space. 

The sheer volume of posts in here generates a buzz in itself to any newcomer.  For example: I would be more inclined to have a look into "Grannies Panties Boutique" if there are hundreds of crazed, incensed shoppers beating the doors down to get in rather than stroll into an empty Victoria's Secret.  I'd probably still go into Victoria's Secret but you get my point.

This is where they were born and raised (kinda, sorta).  This is where all the speculation erupted and ideas were brought to life.  I'd like to see the reviews stay in here. 

That is why Val and Jude mentioned before that they'd rather not divide the attention up between the two threads. Maybe a thread merger is in order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back