V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 8, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #23,176 of 23,366
That's definitely how it seems for now.

I wonder how many more years it'll be until V-Moda (or other brands) come out with a pair of wireless over-ear headphones with a built-in amplifier that's as powerful as the Cayin C5, and with headphone drivers with at least as much power handling, X-max, sub-bass sensitivity, and overall sound quality as the M-100's? 10 to 20 years, perhaps? At which time, if I'm still using a Rockboxed iPod Classic, then I might buy a wireless transmitter to plug into the headphone jack on the iPod and try those. (For a dual-listening setup, I could use two transmitters.)

No more fairly-heavy brick in my hand, and no more pesky headphone cable(s), especially in a dual-listening setup. :thumbsup:

If those wireless headphones don't have a bass-boost switch, then I'd be relegated to using the standard set of EQ presets in my app. But if those powerful wireless headphones have their own bass-boost switch (which they probably would), then I could create a new set of EQ presets in my app to match that switch -- as I've already done for the bass switch on the Cayin C5.

Perhaps by that time, the 20-year patent on the iPod Classic will have expired, and Rockbox firmware will also be available for some of the newer-generation iPod-Classic clones with updated technology (i.e., SSD, memory-card slots, wireless function for multiple receivers, better battery, better DAC, etc.) So I wouldn't need to buy a separate wireless transmitter for it.

It's nice to dream about the future, isn't it? :blush:
The problem lies in something far "simpler" than you'd expect: battery. For all the innovations we've had in software or silicons battery tech haven't seen any major innovations in the past decade, I believe. The Note7 debacle showed battery is never an easy thing to perfect, even with a company of *that* calibre.

Even now on headphones you'd see that all wireless ones weight much more than the wired counterparts. It can be dangerous too, because if overheat they'll literally explode in your face. That's why I always tell people to *never* buy wireless headphones from no-name China brand, especially those AirPods clone.

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #23,177 of 23,366
That's definitely how it seems for now.

I wonder how many more years it'll be until V-Moda (or other brands) come out with a pair of wireless over-ear headphones with a built-in amplifier that's as powerful as the Cayin C5, and with headphone drivers with at least as much power handling, X-max, sub-bass sensitivity, and overall sound quality as the M-100's? 10 to 20 years, perhaps? At which time, if I'm still using a Rockboxed iPod Classic, then I might buy a wireless transmitter to plug into the headphone jack on the iPod and try those. (For a dual-listening setup, I could use two transmitters.)

No more fairly-heavy brick in my hand, and no more pesky headphone cable(s), especially in a dual-listening setup. :thumbsup:

If those wireless headphones don't have a bass-boost switch, then I'd be relegated to using the standard set of EQ presets in my app. But if those powerful wireless headphones have their own bass-boost switch (which they probably would), then I could create a new set of EQ presets in my app to match that switch -- as I've already done for the bass switch on the Cayin C5.

Perhaps by that time, the 20-year patent on the iPod Classic will have expired, and Rockbox firmware will also be available for some of the newer-generation iPod-Classic clones with updated technology (i.e., SSD, memory-card slots, wireless function for multiple receivers, better battery, better DAC, etc.) So I wouldn't need to buy a separate wireless transmitter for it.

It's nice to dream about the future, isn't it? :blush:
Your thoughts are incredible. Who knows maybe you will be making that headphone tomorrow. The future is bright buddy you will not have to dream anymore soon.

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #23,178 of 23,366
How would you compare the m100 vs akg k167/267?

I had the k167 for almost two years and I really liked the signature (I guess i'm a bass head?) but those were poorly constructed. Despite I was very careful with those, it was just matter of time to crack here and there without any repair.

I'm looking for a replacement and I have interest on the m100.

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #23,179 of 23,366
B5D2C9B0-083C-42BF-A2AD-C5332203FBE1.jpeg
I posted year a go that i use cloth for covering peeled headband, but now I figured out how to deal with peeled m-100.
All you need to do is using wet wipes tissue/ damped cloth.
Wipe the peeled pleather over and over again, you will see that becomes very dirt, took 1-2 hour but this is really worthed.
the result is quite satisfying.
have a look.

Jul 22, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #23,180 of 23,366
I posted year a go that i use cloth for covering peeled headband, but now I figured out how to deal with peeled m-100.
All you need to do is using wet wipes tissue/ damped cloth.
Wipe the peeled pleather over and over again, you will see that becomes very dirt, took 1-2 hour but this is really worthed.
the result is quite satisfying.
have a look.

Very interesting look, nice.

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #23,181 of 23,366
Hello,

Could somebody who has both M-100 and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 Ohms if possible) compare their sound? For what I've read, M-100 has more bass, what I'm worried about is highs becuase I like DT770 highs and M-100 seems quite less and if I purchase them I don't know if I will like them as I'm V-shaped head, been high as important (if not more) than bass.

Thanks

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #23,182 of 23,366
Hello,

Could somebody who has both M-100 and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 Ohms if possible) compare their sound? For what I've read, M-100 has more bass, what I'm worried about is highs becuase I like DT770 highs and M-100 seems quite less and if I purchase them I don't know if I will like them as I'm V-shaped head, been high as important (if not more) than bass.

Thanks
DT 770 all the way! They have a tighter, more punchier bass, it has more sub-bass than the m100. M100 just sound muffled compared to the DT 770.

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #23,183 of 23,366
I am no expert but the crossfade wireless 2 have great highs, from reviews they say more than older models..

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #23,184 of 23,366
Hello,

Thanks
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80-vs-v-moda-m-100.698891/

I’m with m100 because portability and industrial alien look alike

Aug 22, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #23,185 of 23,366
I can't speak for the DT 770, but I can speak for the DT 1990. The M-100 is a dark headphone that still represents the highs somewhat while still representing a big old bass boost. The DT 1990 is just straight flat with a very slight elevation of the low mids and a noticable but relatively insignificant accentuation of the highs. If you like Beyer highs, the M-100 will be lacking for sure.

The M-100's imaging also leaves something to be desired. My DSR9BT and DT 1990 both render imaging detail well, but the M-100 and Crossfade 2 Wireless have trouble rendering slight fluctuations of sound within the same channel, which is not ideal when listening to EDM that plays heavily with that kind of sound.

Aug 22, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #23,186 of 23,366
If you want a good headphone but still like or still own a pair of lp2 or m100 and don't like their sound, look no further than changing up those driver for some more expensive drivers like the fostex t50rp or some Tesla drivers or also some DT 770 drivers which you can get from the beyerdynamic spare site, also there are some really good drivers above 30$ that you can swap out. I have been recently taking a look at the lp2 driver and the m100 driver and they look almost the same from the back, but keep in mind that the m100 driver has something covering a huge hole on the back of the driver that is open on the lp2, that can be the reason for the loose and muddy bass on the lp2 (which I own and have modded)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #23,188 of 23,366
Hello guys.

After 1 year I decided to use my original cable with play-pause bottoms with my Samsun S8 but the cable doesn't work. I put this in a Xiaomi Mi5 Plus and a Huawei P10 and It works fine. Is there any compatibility problem with this smartphone?

Thanks.

P.d.: I use a replacement double cable daily.

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #23,189 of 23,366
Hello guys.

After 1 year I decided to use my original cable with play-pause bottoms with my Samsun S8 but the cable doesn't work. I put this in a Xiaomi Mi5 Plus and a Huawei P10 and It works fine. Is there any compatibility problem with this smartphone?

Thanks.

worked fine on my s7 edge and s9 plus

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #23,190 of 23,366
Hello guys.

Thanks.

Get your phone jack checked by a trusted local phone engineer or a Samsung place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back