V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 24, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #22,351 of 23,366
  Today, January 23rd, is a special day.

It was one year ago today -- at the Houston airport on the way in to the U.S. to visit family -- that I bought my first pair of V-Moda Crossfade M-100 headphones at a Brookstone store there (after comparing prices online). My old, fake pair of “Beats by Dr. Dre” headphones that I got at a cheap electronics market in Chongqing that previous fall had kept breaking on me, so I decided to get a genuine pair of V-Moda M-100s after hearing a lot of great things about them on the Internet.

Little did I know that this would be the first step in a lonnnng journey that would improve my portable headphone system so much that, today -- one year later -- my system sounds so amazingly incredible...that if you compared the way it used to sound -- even during my visit to the U.S. last winter -- the sound would be absolutely and completely unrecognizable.

So,...that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it! You can view the “complete user guide” to Version 4.0 of these illustrious EQ presets by clicking on the following link:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/795363/discoprojoe-s-rockbox-eq-presets-version-4-0-complete-user-guide

And so,...one year after getting my first pair of M-100s, as a hardcore V-Moda Crossfade M-100 fanboy inside and out, I can happily say...Thank you, Val Kolton ( @valkolton ), for putting out the most awesome headphones in the world. 
smily_headphones1.gif

A year ago at that Brookstone store the Houston airport, I remember one of the main songs in my music collection that I used to sample the M-100 model on display there was the Karaoke Version of Utada Hikaru's "Beautiful World." (It's especially a great tune to enjoy while looking out an airplane window.)

With my old, fake Beats headphones (and the even-cheaper Skullcandy and Radio Shack ones I had before those), I would typically use one of the simple V-shaped EQ presets on my iPod Classic (in the original Apple firmware). It was non-customizable, so I usually chose the "Jazz" or "Rock" presets.

So when trying out the V-Modas at the Brookstone store on that day, I remember immediately turning off that EQ (and setting it to flat), since the M-100s had so much better treble and bass than any of my old headphones. I remember thinking, "Wow! I don't even hardly ever need to use the 'Jazz' or 'Rock' presets to boost the treble anymore. Cool!"

So earlier this evening (today), I was listening to "Beautiful World" again -- this time while using the DiscoProJoe Rockbox EQ Preset "Ultra Lite Less Treble 0." It had a massively-throbbing low end, spectacular soundstage without coloration of the upper midbass or lower midrange, decent highs, and the song seemed to wrap all the way around me as I could notice every part of the music.

By contrast, I then decided to see how far I'd come in the last year.

I turned off the EQ and bass boost feature in Rockbox and set everything to flat, turned off the Cayin C5 portable amp, and plugged my pair of M-100s directly into the iPod to hear that same song again -- with a practically-identical sound signature to the one that had "wowed" me a year earlier.

My impression of it, now, with this song? Very, very little sub-bass, bloated midbass and lower midrange that sounds "colored" and drowns out other parts of the music, no soundstage or wrap-around sound, but the highs still sounded OK. Overall, a very boring and weak sound.

And so I thought, "Holy cow,...I actually thought this sounded great a year ago!" 
eek.gif

ph34r.gif

blink.gif

Maybe I've unknowingly become...an.........audiophile........over the last year? 
confused_face_2.gif

But maybe just a weird kind of one, though,...as I don't actually consider myself one. 
wink.gif

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Oh well,...just some fun musings for this 1-year anniversary with my V-Moda headphones!

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #22,352 of 23,366
Thank you guys for the recommendations. I've decided to go with the Fiio X3 2nd Gen after trying it out at a shop. Also, what portable amp is recommended to go with the Fiio X3 2nd Gen? I mostly use my M100 and SE215. Thanks (again).

Yeah you will not need an amp w the X3ii for the two headphones you mentioned. If you do you need to spend upwards of 300 bucks to get something that will improve it enough to notice. Something like the Oppo HA2 or the JDS Labs C5D. That's the only time I really noticed an improvement w M100s.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #22,353 of 23,366
One week ago I acquired the V-moda Crossfade M-100 that in theory are more intended for electronic music.

For me the V-moda seem the perfect headphones also for hip- hop, Bass music... with audiophile quality, clarity and if you want more deep bass I'm using in my smartphone Poweramp  + Viper4android with only these options:

Poweramp setup:

Preset soft Bass (modified and increased the low frequencies, flat mids and increased a bit the treble)

Viper4Android setup:

Playback Gain Control-moderate-4x
surround-lvl 3
viper bass-pure bass-100hz 14.0dB
viper clarity-XHiFi 10.0dB
Output Gain 6.0dB

I turn the volume on my smartphone only to 1/4

Although the sound tastes are relative, maybe someone prefer to turn off Bass and improve the clarity.
It's only my setup, enjoy and

Greetings!

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #22,354 of 23,366
My middle-school-age son did his own research and chose the VMODA m 100s as his main Christmas present.

Exactly 30 days after Christmas, the right side stopped working.

He only wears them in his room. He stores them in the case when he is not using them. He does not drag them to school or keep them in his backpack like so many kids do with their Beats. My son wanted to be different and smart and choose something better than Beats, which of course is what all the kids have at this age. Oh well.

I am so aggravated and he is so disappointed. I will be returning the m 100s. I guess I should have gotten him Beats after all.

Just wanted to vent. Thanks for providing a thread for venting.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #22,356 of 23,366
I've dropped my M-100 onto concrete(several times), been caught in a thunderstorm with them on where they ended up soaking wet, and whacked them with a bamboo staff while training yesterday. 3 years of use and abuse and mine still work flawlessly. Manufacturing defects will always affect a small population, but it's not indicative of the company or their product line as a whole. They have great customer service and will happily replace it.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #22,359 of 23,366
If the store has a replacement policy take it to them, otherwise deal directly with Vmoda to get faster service.

I own two Vmoda products, my first is 4 years old with ZERO issues. My second is the M100 and as others have mentioned defects are the exception not the rule.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #22,360 of 23,366
Thanks for the image ! it seems the M-100 are a bit different; instead of a plastic cover I have a metal grill over it. Didn't tried to further disassemble it, I removed what I could and put the earpads back. It's just annoying to know that they are kind of dirty and I can't clean them all the way. Now I'm worried about something, could I've affected the sound performance of my headphones by accidentally touching the diaphram with a small needle while trying to get the nasty stuff out ? (Was careful and didn't pierced something).

My M100 grill got rustic and I may need to remove it because I think some of the rust crumble inside the driver.

Is it adviseable to dissamble it? I Have dissamble Sennheiser HD429 and do some mods with it but with Vmoda price, I dont dare to do it.

Anyone know whether the guarantee cover rusting?

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #22,361 of 23,366
My M100 grill got rustic and I may need to remove it because I think some of the rust crumble inside the driver.

Is it adviseable to dissamble it? I Have dissamble Sennheiser HD429 and do some mods with it but with Vmoda price, I dont dare to do it.

Anyone know whether the guarantee cover rusting?

Worst case, you have the immortal life guarantee where you can buy any new V-MODA product for 50% off...just because you bought the M100s and they got destroyed.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #22,363 of 23,366
I know that and not an option. I would rather buy ATH M50X

Have you tried them? They aren't very similar to M100's. The V-Modas are warm, fun and non-fatiguing, M50's are in your face with some tiring highs. 

Here's a fresh review that hits the nail on the head:

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #22,364 of 23,366
Have you tried them? They aren't very similar to M100's. The V-Modas are warm, fun and non-fatiguing, M50's are in your face with some tiring highs. 

Here's a fresh review that hits the nail on the head:

I have auditioned it and it sounds great with the price. If I have to buy something around 150, I'd go for M50x.

Comfort-wise, M50x way better than M100.

But if I can rewind myself from buying M100, I would much rather go for Oppo PM3.

By the way, all of them sounds great, I dont have specific preference. They're just like a different kind of delicious cake. I eat them all.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #22,365 of 23,366
I have auditioned it and it sounds great with the price. If I have to buy something around 150, I'd go for M50x.

Comfort-wise, M50x way better than M100.

But if I can rewind myself from buying M100, I would much rather go for Oppo PM3.

By the way, all of them sounds great, I dont have specific preference. They're just like a different kind of delicious cake. I eat them all.

It's not gonna help my classified, but I absolutely hate the M-100 :/

Wish I could rewind too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back