V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jul 7, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #21,781 of 23,366
That said, I'm not 100% sure that I will keep them. The sound signature just doesn't work for me when it comes to most other genres. Because of this they wouldn't replace my w4r for travel, so I'd be keeping them for listening strictly at home. I might look at something like PM-3 or P7 as an alternative.

I had some PM-3s along side my M100s for a few weeks and ultimately I sold the PM-3s.  I absolutely loved everything about the PM-3s...except...I just missed the bass too much when listening to hip hop (which I do about 75% of the time)...and I definitely don't need two pairs of over the ear headphones.  So I sold the PM-3s and picked up some Fidue A83s to cover my analytic side...when I don't need over the top bass!  Best of both worlds IMO.

I'll ALWAYS have a pair of M100s around because there is just certain types of music that needs these headphones.  So don't get too hasty in returning them.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #21,782 of 23,366
I had some PM-3s along side my M100s for a few weeks and ultimately I sold the PM-3s.  I absolutely loved everything about the PM-3s...except...I just missed the bass too much when listening to hip hop (which I do about 75% of the time)...and I definitely don't need two pairs of over the ear headphones.  So I sold the PM-3s and picked up some Fidue A83s to cover my analytic side...when I don't need over the top bass!  Best of both worlds IMO.

I'll ALWAYS have a pair of M100s around because there is just certain types of music that needs these headphones.  So don't get too hasty in returning them.

Thanks... that's good advice. I'll take a few weeks before deciding.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #21,783 of 23,366
I have

I have to agree with you too. Some songs just need the extra bass provided by the M100's. I'm all for a flat sound signature on some songs, but on others it just sounds plain boring.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #21,784 of 23,366
For someone who has owned the M100's before, it has been a long while, and I have a few inquiries to make in regards to it. 

I know it has probably been done like 100 million times, but for someone who is after a set of headphones that has good isolation (so no one can hear what I'm listening to from the outside (on average 50% volume), but I don't mind outside sound leaking in (so like, I can still hear people talking), not too strong of a clamping force (don't like headphone hair..), and can easily be worn around in public (as in train rides more so), which would you guys recommend me (I know I'm asking in the M100 thread) between the M100 (+XL Pads), XS, and the HD25's?

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #21,785 of 23,366
honestly i am disappointed i thought that vmoda would come with something new a new great headphone or dac/amp not some shiny shields that do not make any difference on sq

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #21,786 of 23,366
  For someone who has owned the M100's before, it has been a long while, and I have a few inquiries to make in regards to it. 

I know it has probably been done like 100 million times, but for someone who is after a set of headphones that has good isolation (so no one can hear what I'm listening to from the outside (on average 50% volume), but I don't mind outside sound leaking in (so like, I can still hear people talking), not too strong of a clamping force (don't like headphone hair..), and can easily be worn around in public (as in train rides more so), which would you guys recommend me (I know I'm asking in the M100 thread) between the M100 (+XL Pads), XS, and the HD25's?

The XS is easily the most portable, but the M100 will be more isolating for those train rides since it's "over ear" instead of on.  Same thing w/ the HD25s...on ear.  I wouldn't use on ears for train rides personally.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #21,787 of 23,366

The XS is easily the most portable, but the M100 will be more isolating for those train rides since it's "over ear" instead of on.  Same thing w/ the HD25s...on ear.  I wouldn't use on ears for train rides personally.

Between the XS and the M100, which one would you say has better clarity? And also, for library use for example, which would you recommend between the two?

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #21,788 of 23,366
  Between the XS and the M100, which one would you say has better clarity? And also, for library use for example, which would you recommend between the two?

M100...the XS is still good, in fact many people prefer it's smoother sound sig w/ a little less bass rumble, but for a library, the M100.  It's much more isolating (both for you and the people around you).

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #21,789 of 23,366
HD-25s isolate like a beast. Probably the best isolation I've heard on any portable besides the Beyerdynamic DT-1350. I work on film productions and half the time the sound guys are either wearing Sony MDR-V6/7506 or HD-25. I use my XS more than my M-100 when I'm out since it's so much more comfortable around the neck. Yes, it doesn't isolate as well as the M-100, but even on a train the XS is adequate. I don't expect audiophile nuances to shine through on a rumbling train ride. I've also noticed that the M-100 leaks sound more at higher volumes.

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #21,790 of 23,366

M100...the XS is still good, in fact many people prefer it's smoother sound sig w/ a little less bass rumble, but for a library, the M100.  It's much more isolating (both for you and the people around you).

Yeah, I have heard that the M100 are probably more suited for my use and sound signature preference, but at the same time (continue below)
HD-25s isolate like a beast. Probably the best isolation I've heard on any portable besides the Beyerdynamic DT-1350. I work on film productions and half the time the sound guys are either wearing Sony MDR-V6/7506 or HD-25. I use my XS more than my M-100 when I'm out since it's so much more comfortable around the neck. Yes, it doesn't isolate as well as the M-100, but even on a train the XS is adequate. I don't expect audiophile nuances to shine through on a rumbling train ride. I've also noticed that the M-100 leaks sound more at higher volumes.

having something portable that sits around the neck without being too bulky, is also appreciable. 

I really don't know right now, ahaha...Really stuck in a dilemma that I don't really need to be in. Another thing...and it might be a stupid one, but which headphone is more prone to leaving headphone hair? That's probably the one reason why I haven't really opted to using headphones in public (although I want to start). It always leaves weird indents on my head.. (yeah, it's stupid, I know, haha)

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #21,791 of 23,366
Actually, more to the point, I might be leaning more to the XS right now for it's portability. I suppose this will leave me with one question...(wrong thread to ask now...) Approximately at what volume level on let's say, your typical android phone (0-100), would the sound begin to leak, and people around you will start to hear your music? I don't know if this would be relevant or not, but I own a pair of Meelectronics Atlas, and after upping the volume up to around 20%, people around me could probably hear what I'm listening to; so I'd say I want something with better isolation than that..

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #21,792 of 23,366

Do not forget, if the headphones are in the carrying case, M100 is more portable, as the case is smaller than XS case due to M100's folding mechanism. :wink:

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #21,794 of 23,366
Umm no. XS is smaller. You're thinking about the old M80. The XS folds.

That is right, my bad.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #21,795 of 23,366
  Yeah, I have heard that the M100 are probably more suited for my use and sound signature preference, but at the same time (continue below)
having something portable that sits around the neck without being too bulky, is also appreciable. 

I really don't know right now, ahaha...Really stuck in a dilemma that I don't really need to be in. Another thing...and it might be a stupid one, but which headphone is more prone to leaving headphone hair? That's probably the one reason why I haven't really opted to using headphones in public (although I want to start). It always leaves weird indents on my head.. (yeah, it's stupid, I know, haha)

M-100 will mold your side hair against your head, no doubt. The headband "damage" across the top of your head will be similar, though the M-100 has a wider headband as well. I don't style my up, so I don't know how it'll treat poofy haired folks.

Actually, more to the point, I might be leaning more to the XS right now for it's portability. I suppose this will leave me with one question...(wrong thread to ask now...) Approximately at what volume level on let's say, your typical android phone (0-100), would the sound begin to leak, and people around you will start to hear your music? I don't know if this would be relevant or not, but I own a pair of Meelectronics Atlas, and after upping the volume up to around 20%, people around me could probably hear what I'm listening to; so I'd say I want something with better isolation than that..

Unless the room you're in is super quiet, you'll need to turn them up uncomfortably loud for them to really leak. I'm usually around 40-60% on my Galaxy S3>Viper4Android>2x slight gain and I've never had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back