V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 2, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #23,206 of 23,366
Sigh, thats how I'm going to start my post.

Sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh.

Bought my pair of M100's in February 2 years ago and so the warranty has expired. Yesterday morning the saddest thing happend, my left driver went dead - completely dead. Turned them into the place I bought them (A well renowned instrument-store and repair-place in my town, 4Sound) and they said it's just plain dead - they don't have the specific expertise for repairing a dead driver. They suggested to send them to V-moda and pay the price.

Have anyone else had this happen to them? Did you repair them and if so, how much did it cost? Any other options? I love the M100s a lot and would really like to keep them.

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #23,207 of 23,366
Some V-Moda products have a 2 year warranty whilst others have only 1 year. I cannot remember what the M-100 has (maybe you still have the documentation with the headphone?). You can check if you're eligible for the Immortal Life Program. Can you reach out to their support to get more info??

https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/immortal-life-program

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #23,208 of 23,366
Some V-Moda products have a 2 year warranty whilst others have only 1 year. I cannot remember what the M-100 has (maybe you still have the documentation with the headphone?). You can check if you're eligible for the Immortal Life Program. Can you reach out to their support to get more info??

https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/immortal-life-program

Mine came with a 2 year warranty which has expired. I'll reach out to their support today or monday probably and check if I'm eligible for the IL-program. Thanks for the tip. =)

Nov 3, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #23,209 of 23,366
I purchased a pair of V-Moda M100's and after going without really using them for awhile, I've started experiencing static I never encountered before. I detailed my issues in this thread (I would have posted about it here if I'd have known about this thread): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/static-on-many-songs-with-v-moda-m100s.892233/

About 15 minutes ago, I realized it's most likely not the headphones. I listened to some music with the amp/dac combo that was causing me hearing issues (Magni/Modi Schiit) to boost some naturally low volume music and decided to test out music I've had static issues with, such as "Mondays." There was no static. That basically tells me it's related to plugging the headphones directly into a motherboard jack.

I sadly don't have anything else to get around it, not even an extension cord- but it's likely an extension cord won't work if it's plugged directly into the jack.

I still can't listen to most music long-term using the amp/dac and I don't know if I'll keep it when my hearing totally recovers (I will likely get another amp/dac or just an amp, but one far less intense than this). Is anyone familiar with these sorts of static issues and what the easiest work-around might be?

Edit: I actually realized the M100's cables have an extension outlet. So I went and tested this with 2 cables. No difference in static. I really don't think I experienced these issues before I started using the Magni/Modi Schiit and that indicates some issue has arisen with the headphones- I might still be experiencing bits of static on some songs (like what I'd get with having it plugged directly into the MB), but it's nothing like before. Of course I'm wary about using this AMP/DAC right now given the kinds of issues it's caused me, and I'm not totally acclimated to it even on low volumes.

Would a soundcard, external or internal, be able to bypass these issues? Could some kind of issue have really arisen with the headphones, despite having seen little use in so long?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #23,210 of 23,366
Sigh, thats how I'm going to start my post.

Sigh, sigh, sigh, sigh.

Bought my pair of M100's in February 2 years ago and so the warranty has expired. Yesterday morning the saddest thing happend, my left driver went dead - completely dead. Turned them into the place I bought them (A well renowned instrument-store and repair-place in my town, 4Sound) and they said it's just plain dead - they don't have the specific expertise for repairing a dead driver. They suggested to send them to V-moda and pay the price.

Have anyone else had this happen to them? Did you repair them and if so, how much did it cost? Any other options? I love the M100s a lot and would really like to keep them.
Just buy some better drivers from like a broken pair of DT770's, DT 880's and DT990's(they sell for mostly 65 a pair for the plain drivers). I am buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 700 drivers to shove inside my LP's (the early ones with the red croc plates and black cups) since those drivers aren't really the best. Or you can buy drivers from FullCompass since they sell audio technical drivers, Fostex T50rp mk3, etc (they sell individually and not in pairs but the mk3 drivers go for 41 so in total 82 for a pair). Mostly I would suggest mk3 drivers but those are hard to drive.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #23,211 of 23,366
Just buy some better drivers from like a broken pair of DT770's, DT 880's and DT990's(they sell for mostly 65 a pair for the plain drivers). I am buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 700 drivers to shove inside my LP's (the early ones with the red croc plates and black cups) since those drivers aren't really the best. Or you can buy drivers from FullCompass since they sell audio technical drivers, Fostex T50rp mk3, etc (they sell individually and not in pairs but the mk3 drivers go for 41 so in total 82 for a pair). Mostly I would suggest mk3 drivers but those are hard to drive.

Hi! I've never changed drivers in a pair of headphones and subsequently do not own any equipment to do so with. I'm going to contact V-moda and have a look at their Immortal Life program or wait until Black Friday.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #23,212 of 23,366
Hi! I've never changed drivers in a pair of headphones and subsequently do not own any equipment to do so with. I'm going to contact V-moda and have a look at their Immortal Life program or wait until Black Friday.
Okay fair enough that is your wish but if you do want to get the modder in you happy feel free to buy new or used drivers. Then you can seek help from any head-fier about soldering, damping, tuning and so on.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #23,213 of 23,366
Okay fair enough that is your wish but if you do want to get the modder in you happy feel free to buy new or used drivers. Then you can seek help from any head-fier about soldering, damping, tuning and so on.

Opened the headphones up, again, noticed that one of the cables going to the driver had gone lose, it was almost impossible for my untrained eye to see. But this I'll fix! :D hopefully they'll be alive on Monday again. My sister who works in soldering micro circuitboards laughed at the crappy job when I sent her a pic. Probably an idiot made the soldering!

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #23,214 of 23,366
Opened the headphones up, again, noticed that one of the cables going to the driver had gone lose, it was almost impossible for my untrained eye to see. But this I'll fix! :D hopefully they'll be alive on Monday again. My sister who works in soldering micro circuitboards laughed at the ****ty job when I sent her a pic. Probably an idiot made the soldering!
Okay this may look stupid.
http://imgur.com/a/ZfjGXAq
So I mass loaded the driver and covered all the open holes on the driver. This reduced that crazy boomy bull bass that is stock on the LP1 and made everything else much more present and forward and also made the bass more physical. I also EQ these around 14500hz by 7.5db and that brings a lot of lost air and I also bring up the upper mids around 2000hz to 4500hz by 3 db and that makes the whole signature come to life. Normally I would bring up 550hz by 3.5db to add more body and upper grunt but some may not like it. I have a very good pad mod coming up very soon and that allows you to Mount HM5, Dekoni, ZMF pads and get them to make an excellent seal.

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #23,215 of 23,366
5 years later and the m-100s are still in my top 5 -- even now that my daily driver is the u18 IEM and the Hifiman Susvara Hugo tt2 combo is my desktop end game. The m-100 is that special.

One question to fellow fans and v-moda people -- when getting an upgrade cable, is 'dual 3.5 mm' (Sony, Beierdynamic) the way to go? This is a dual 3.5 format isn't it? (Although original cable is only one 3.5)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #23,216 of 23,366
Hi friends.

I´m thinking about buying the Crossfade 2 Wireless aptX codec and I want to know the difference between my M100 and Crossfade 2. Does still keep the same sound and the same bass? I´ve read that the sound with cable is better and louder.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #23,217 of 23,366
5 years later and the m-100s are still in my top 5 -- even now that my daily driver is the u18 IEM and the Hifiman Susvara Hugo tt2 combo is my desktop end game. The m-100 is that special.

One question to fellow fans and v-moda people -- when getting an upgrade cable, is 'dual 3.5 mm' (Sony, Beierdynamic) the way to go? This is a dual 3.5 format isn't it? (Although original cable is only one 3.5)

Won't work I guess, the two inputs are just parallel (same input for both channels on both sides) while cables like this Beyerdynamic T5p Gen. 2 are mono per side and I think they use the same pins on side.

Dec 2, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #23,218 of 23,366
Won't work I guess, the two inputs are just parallel (same input for both channels on both sides) while cables like this Beyerdynamic T5p Gen. 2 are mono per side and I think they use the same pins on side.

Probably true. Went with blue dragon because Moon Audio clearly states 'V-Moda m-100' in the connector options. Hint to plussound audio -- you might wanna do the same...

I'm about to find out what the m-100 sounds out of balanced 4.4 of dx200Ti amp4. This is an extremely holographic yet musical output. Let's see if it translates into a fun m-100 experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back