V-moda Crossfades vs Skullcandy Aviators vs FA-004?? which one?
Oct 18, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #16 of 26
I have the M80 and a pair of the new Brainwavz HM3 coming in which from outer appearance may be an FA-004 derivitive. I will be doing a review of the HM3 after I get them and will offer up some comments if you like. If you contact LFF I know he has reviewed the FA-004 and the M80 so he might be able to ffer some insight between those two, I am not sure if he has heard the Aviators or not though.

I have very briefly heard the aviator but it was in a store under very poor listening conditions with equipment and music that was not my own so I can't give a good comparison.

Oct 19, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
yea i usedto have the hd-25ii they wer pretty good except it was too painful for me; i ended up with the tma-1s which i liked more besides its inferior isolation over the hd25
im still very interested to get an fa-004, have you tried it? how do you compare it to the hd-25ii? 

man  m-80 is tempting how much did you get yours for?

oh no lol the fa004 was just based on what people have told me. and what do you mean painfull? like the clamping force? I actually kinda like the force :D I still feel like they could have made the design a little more ergonomic though. 

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #18 of 26

oh yea i just heard abt the brainwavs ill try to check that one 1st 
Quote:
I have the M80 and a pair of the new Brainwavz HM3 coming in which from outer appearance may be an FA-004 derivitive. I will be doing a review of the HM3 after I get them and will offer up some comments if you like. If you contact LFF I know he has reviewed the FA-004 and the M80 so he might be able to ffer some insight between those two, I am not sure if he has heard the Aviators or not though.

I have very briefly heard the aviator but it was in a store under very poor listening conditions with equipment and music that was not my own so I can't give a good comparison.

Quote:
oh no lol the fa004 was just based on what people have told me. and what do you mean painfull? like the clamping force? I actually kinda like the force :D I still feel like they could have made the design a little more ergonomic though. 

yea the clamping and the brightness, not sure maybe its just my ears, i kinda wanna listen to it again. also the style is kinda overboard but then again its a really old model. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #19 of 26
Just recieved confirmation my reviewers pair is on the way and they used DHL, I was told to expect them in the next 2 days, so Monday at the latest.

Once I have them I will have an initial listen and if they sound promising I will start a first impressions/review thread and document how I hear them and how they change (if they change) during burnin. My suspicion is they will sound better than they look or how they are built as this seems to be the way Brainwavz equipment is, as they focus more on the sound that the packaging and that sort of thing. If they arrive very quickly I may be able to do a quick comparison between them, the Denon HP700, Beyerdynamic 1350, and my V-Moda CRossfade M80. While I don't expect they will stack up technically or build quality wise to these headphones I still think it would be good to do some comparisons.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #20 of 26
Is  there any news on the LP2s in CanJam. From what I heard, people say that it's even worse than the Lps ?

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #21 of 26
Maxvla said:
18) Apple iPod, Fiio amp (couldn't find a model), VModa LP2
Very recessed highs, mids recessed. Bass head cans for sure. Bringing up volume where bass is overbearing results in decent mids with still recessed highs. Stage is small to medium. Imaging is not bad but not great. I know I'm listening to a cheap can.

Probably the bassiest headphone in the room. These were terrible. Nothing positive to say at all. They fit ok I guess. There, that's something positive.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #22 of 26

Quote:
Is  there any news on the LP2s in CanJam. 

The LP series is a DJ/dance/hip hop and modern pop music style tuned headphone and definitely is made to be bass heavy.   We design products for their use cases: When you listen to a headphone in a club or on stage for Live Play, with monitors blaring on either side of you it actually sounds flatter and more like M-80.

It's sound curve is virtually identical to the Pioneer HDJ-2000 but it has more "3D" staging and about 1 dB more bass.   The LP Series "Pepsi" challenge is to test it next to its peers like  Pioneer HDJ-2000, HDJ-1000, MDR-V Series, Stanton and other popular DJ headphones side by side.  And try LP with dance, house, hip-hop, dubstep and top 40 (that now uses 4:4 dance music beats like Madonna/Black Eyed Peas). It also needs to be worn in ~24+ hours for the pads to lower their high bass, low mids to optimal levels.

MODIOPHILE (MODERN/MOBILE AUDIOPHILE) SERIES VS LP (LIVE PLAY)
M-100 in our M series will be out for those who want a "modern mobile  audiophile" sound.  LP is "Live Play" series, which means it is designed for those who DJ or want a virtual "club" sound.
Check on Amazon/Newegg/Apple - for the target users and demographics LP was designed for it gets 4.5-5 stars consistently and doesn't break ;>.

Example of the monitors blaring on my sides on stage, music I play and the environment where LP is perfect :).  These were fun gigs!

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #23 of 26
Ah. Thanks for clearing this up. Although I knew that the LP's were made mainly for live shows, I failed to notice how Lp2 would be in that series... Oh well, I'll look forward future M series products :D.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
Ah. Thanks for clearing this up. Although I knew that the LP's were made mainly for live shows, I failed to notice how Lp2 would be in that series... Oh well, I'll look forward future M series products :D.

Yup - we thought it was good to split the lines to clarify the use cases, music and demographics we designed them for - LP vs M Series should clear this up!

We couldn't change the sound much on LP2, as its becoming a cult classic and is very highly regarded in the DJ/dubstep/dance music scene as the best sound and I agree.  Too many famous and grammy award winning dance music producers have come to me to say it is the best and they depend on its exact sound signature. 

PS the white model of LPs have less bass out of the box, because the grey pigment is softer - this is why the black models take longer to "burn in" - on many on and over-ear headphones the fitting has more to do with the final sound than the driver changes over time.

-v 

May 2, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:
The bass is a little overstated and somewhat bleeds into the rest of the music, slopping the whole ensemble up. They're beautiful headphones but being Skullcandy, the sound quality doesn't match the price. They're not terrible, but they're not to be taken seriously either. If they were 50 dollars or so, I'd be much more of a fan of them.

Lol overstated bass is the last thing you'll get in the Aviators...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back