V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos, Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Sep 15, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #241 of 1,160
  Hello guys! I'm about to order either the V-Moda Crossfade M100 or the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless. I'm actually hesitating between both since V-Moda said that Crossfade Wireles have an updated sound over the M100. If I buy the Crossfade Wireless, i'll rather use them in Wired mode. I would like to know if the Crossfade Wireless sounds better than the M100 in Wired mode. If yes i'll buy the Wireless. If not, i don't see why i should buy the crossfade Wireless if they don't sound better than the m100 even in wired mode and lose options like cliqfold, etc...

It will really come down to preference. As it stands right now I think the more balanced sound coming from the CFW may appeal to those that didn't like the m100. 

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #242 of 1,160
Long-time lurker, first-time poster, here.  Hi, my name is b14cx0ut and i'm a headphone-a-holic.

Sorry if this is disjointed.

I had a few cents i wanted to throw into the pot on the CFW/M100 sound, to hopefully help... someone.  I've been about 5 days without my M100, so I can't A/B the two phones, but I have a good general feel for the sound.

TL;DR Wired from a good source can really make the CFW sound great. IMO, way better than the M100.

Wired/passive:
Overall, the CFW has quite a bit more clarity in the upper range than the M100. It is more present and clear. Cymbals sound a heck of a lot more realistic. I also notice more pop with snare drum hits.

There is a caveat to this. Plugged directly into my Galaxy S6 Active (which has a pitiful headphone out), there is not near as much of a difference between the CFW and M100 with lossless flac files via Tidal.

Galaxy S6 -> e12 (0 gain, bassboost off) the CFW(wired passive) came to freakin life. I have also just received a Denon D5000(not sure which year) and was going back and forth between the D5000 and the CFW and the quality of the sound was scary close. The 5000 obviously has a much wider soundstage and the upper range is more present, but while in non-critical listening mode, I was very suprised/impressed with the CFW.

What i didn't like, same as the M100, is that I just really don't like the way the V Moda's sound with my desktop setup. PC, JRiver wasapi 24/192 wav to 16/44 wav or Tidal lossless flac->Uberfrost->Stock Lyr 2. I think it's just too much sound for such a small package.

Wireless:
It's non-aptx, so, whaddaya expect? Galaxy S6 Tidal lossless flac(converted to whatever the hell it does for BT) sounds very minimally different than wired Tidal lossless flac straight from the phone jack.

Wireless vs a lower output source:
When Val states that the CFW wireless is 95% the sound of wired, this was probably basing the judgement off a low power source. With that being the case, then yeah, BT hiss aside, it's probably 95% there, especially if you are only streaming 320kbps files.

Wireless vs higher output source:
It's not even close.

Build Quality:
I didn't have the loose button issue with my silver white version, but one of cups is loose in the fork. I accidentally popped said cup out of the fork, gave the fork a good squeeze, then put the cup back in and it fits better.

All that to say, this is a keeper. I was cautiously optimistic to begin with. Bluetooth is a let down, but in the same way, it's actually quite good for BT. Wired mode has the potential to really sound great. Thanks to a certain e-marketplace and their return policy, I've auditioned many headphones over the past year. Very few have i known at first listen that they were keepers. HE-500 was one(my current main). Finding a closed can has been a headache, literally, and I found 2 all in the same day. The D5000, and the Crossfade Wireless. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #246 of 1,160
Looks like the steel shields finished before the headphones. Can't wait to glue them to my ears in the meantime. 

As a side note, new theory for why CliqFold was excluded. Today I was looking at their product list and I realized, if the CFW had all the features of the M100 with allegedly better sound, wireless function, and both were ~300 MSRP, why would anyone buy the M100? I think CliqFold was excluded to keep the CFW from cannibalizing the potential M100 customers. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #249 of 1,160
It will really come down to preference. As it stands right now I think the more balanced sound coming from the CFW may appeal to those that didn't like the m100. 

Thank you a lot for the feedback! So I'll get the Crossfade Wireless since they seem to sound better than the M100
Thank you a lot b14cx0ut too :)

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #254 of 1,160
Forums!  The Gunmetal Black + Rouge are shipping next week, they should all arrive to you by next Friday.  We SINCERELY apologize for the delays, as you know our team has worked as hard as we can to get them out with the highest quality!

I'll sync more soon now that I am back at my office and done with travels for a while.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back