V Moda Crossfade M100, Mad dog. alpha dog or hifiman he-400 for endgame?
Dec 9, 2013 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nugget2013

100+ Head-Fier
hello all, i have been doing so much research and looking at prices/reviews past 2 days on my next possible pair of headphones i will aquire. i honestly don't know where to go from here and have selected a few headphones in my top 4. They all look good but i need advice really badly.

The v moda m100's look amazing, and as a "basshead" headphone it appeals to me very much
the hifiman he-400 is a cheap planar magnetic headphone with open design (prefer closed back) but still cheap and nice looking!
the mad dog is quite a cheap planar magnetic headphone which sounds comfortable with decent bass and clarity?
the alpha dog seems much better than the mad dog, but at £400 ($657) it would end up becoming my end game headphone for many years.

what i want to know is which would serve me better for just home listening on a fiio e17 dac/amp? i am not willing to buy another dac/amp.

(btw i sold my sennheiser momentum today to get a different headphone, was bored of them)

some info to let you help me better:
source:youtube,deezer, CD's
amp:fiio e17 running from my sony vaio
previous headphones owned:sennheiser momentum, beats solo HD, skullcandy hesh 2.0
favourite artists/music genres: Pop,dance,EDM,R&B,Dubstep,some rock music
favourite artists:Chase and status, eminem, paramore, girls aloud, example, cheryl, david guetta/calvin harris/hardwell/steve aoki etc

one last thing. these are going to be my endgame headphones as i am a young adult who doesn't have major amounts of money and am moving into my own flat next year so need to be saving so £400 is max budget

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 4
These things do not compare. Having an e17 as your main amp limits you some, and listening to youtube source stuff is not always great. 

The Alpha dogs are a top tier planar magnetic. Competition would be HE-500, Fostex TH600/900, and so on. 

The Mad Dogs are just modified T50RPs. Great entry level PM's. I had a set I built myself and loved it. 

The M100 is dynamic. Its good for on the go rather than at home listening, but its is quite bassy. A fun headphone. 

The HE-400 is not cheap in any sense of the word. I would say that the HE400>MadDogs, however the HE400 is open and requires a quite environment. 

I do not have experience with the alpha dogs, but any of the rest should be drivable by your fiio. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 4
  These things do not compare. Having an e17 as your main amp limits you some, and listening to youtube source stuff is not always great. 

The Alpha dogs are a top tier planar magnetic. Competition would be HE-500, Fostex TH600/900, and so on. 

The Mad Dogs are just modified T50RPs. Great entry level PM's. I had a set I built myself and loved it. 

The M100 is dynamic. Its good for on the go rather than at home listening, but its is quite bassy. A fun headphone. 

The HE-400 is not cheap in any sense of the word. I would say that the HE400>MadDogs, however the HE400 is open and requires a quite environment. 

I do not have experience with the alpha dogs, but any of the rest should be drivable by your fiio. 

i'm wondering if the mad dogs (or even the alpha dogs) would be decently drived by the fiio e09k/e17 combo? it's a bit much to spend £400 on the alpha and £100 on the e09k right now as i don't know what to go for, but i could get the mad dogs and e09k as long as i knew it would be driven fine and get quite a lot of of the phone then in the future on their website upgrade my mad dogs into alpha dog headphones. i really want to try out some nice planar magnetic headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back