V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Oct 22, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #2,611 of 2,828
I was all set to buy a pair of m100, but think I've now changed my mind and would like to buy m80 now.

I listen to majority of my music on the move or in work, so portability is paramount. Currently I use Future Sonics MG7 IEM with iPhone 4 + E17. I have Denon D3000 and HE400 for home listening, but would like bigger cans for outside of the home listening. I also have an iBasso DX50 on order :)

I know the m80 are 'on ear headphones'. How is the fit? Considering I am a tall chap, I do have relatively small ears, so will the m80 easily fit over my ears rather than on them? obviously this is quite difficult to gauge considering I haven't provided my ear dimensions (lol), but any info would be good.

Anyone had the pleasure of listening to both Denon D3000 and M80? I listen to all kinds of music, but especially a lot of electronic, drum & bass and rock. The D3000 are great for bass and good all rounders.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2,612 of 2,828
  Interesting
i'm always wary of anything wireless or anything with noise cancellation the extra circuitry really turns me off.  makes the sound very unnatural

i would avoid it if i could

but i can see the convenience of having a wireless headphones, they look nice

they mix the beats and the B&W look

pretty nice

was thinking many times of going wireless but haven't pulled the trigger, dunno if i'm waiting for bluetooth to improve or the technology to improve for wireless but i always have the feeling that wired is always better

but i'm using wifi now rather than using internet cable i was using 12 years ago... soo what do i know

i'm still skeptical

I do agree that it doesn't sound so good on wireless. But when you use it via 3.5mm cable, it sounds very natural.

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #2,613 of 2,828
  I was all set to buy a pair of m100, but think I've now changed my mind and would like to buy m80 now.

I listen to majority of my music on the move or in work, so portability is paramount. Currently I use Future Sonics MG7 IEM with iPhone 4 + E17. I have Denon D3000 and HE400 for home listening, but would like bigger cans for outside of the home listening. I also have an iBasso DX50 on order :)

I know the m80 are 'on ear headphones'. How is the fit? Considering I am a tall chap, I do have relatively small ears, so will the m80 easily fit over my ears rather than on them? obviously this is quite difficult to gauge considering I haven't provided my ear dimensions (lol), but any info would be good.

Anyone had the pleasure of listening to both Denon D3000 and M80? I listen to all kinds of music, but especially a lot of electronic, drum & bass and rock. The D3000 are great for bass and good all rounders.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be honest, after trying both the M-100 and M-80, I much prefer the M-100. The sound is so much better and is definitely worth the extra money.

M-80 are quite small, and the fit is tiny compared to the M-100. M-80 will definitely not fit 'around' your ears. I don't have big ears either and they just fit on top of my ear canal area, if that makes sense.  Whereas M-100 fit perfectly around my whole ear, giving a booming bass and vastly superior soundscape. 

Also I think portability is better with the M-100, for even though the cans are larger than the M-80, the brilliant cliqfold hinge allows the unit to fold up to a smaller size and be stored more efficiently in the exoskeleton case.

I can't compare the other headphones you mentioned, but I couldn't sit back without giving you my humble opinion of the M-100! If you're anything like me, you won't regret it.

If you still have your heart set on the M-80 though, I am putting my pair up for sale, due to simple lack of use. I tried them out, but went straight back to my trusty M-100. The M-80 I tried literally have had less than an hour of use. So instead of them sitting in a box gathering dust, I'm happy to pass them on to a fellow headfi-er :) PM me if interested.

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #2,614 of 2,828
Thanks for the honest reply :)

I do prefer the size of the m80, but the fact that they will only 'sit' on my ears is not ideal.

After taking in your opinion and reading loads more reviews, I am keen on the m100, but just didn't intend spending that much money. That said they do sound ideal though.

Have you ever listened to the Denon D3000? Any idea how they compare?

What is the sound leaksge like on the m100? Only noticeable at high volumes?

The standard Amazon price is £270, although I have seen them slightly cheaper from a German seller on fleabay for £220. He looks legit, but i'm a bit apprehensive spending that kind of money on there especially when it comes to fakes

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #2,616 of 2,828
  Any news on m80s getting new pads? I would love if they would release a sens momentum on ear pads for more comfort. My pads are about to gave out but can't seem to find a replacement to their site. 

No progress regarding M80 pads according to customer care, I inquired about XL pads for the M80 due to right ear pain and customer care said they haven't heard of any progress on them. My right ear hurts after 10 minutes of use, I've worn them for a few weeks, broken/bended them in, but haven't found a solution as the right ear doesn't get a good seal and hurts. I've searched this thread for alternatives but haven't found anything solid that might work, due to the unique earcup shape, only suggestions of pads fitting over the originals.

Val mentioned in September 2012 that they're busy on the M100 so I guess any replacement or modified XL pad from V-Moda might not arrive. I got the M80 because of the audiophile like praise on here and for portabilitiy, as well as for Val's involvement in our Head-Fi community, but I'm bummed I'll have to return these since they are a pain and won't be getting into the M100 since product support/replacement/accessories seems to be a question mark with V-Moda, at least for the M80.

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #2,617 of 2,828

No progress regarding M80 pads according to customer care, I inquired about XL pads for the M80 due to right ear pain and customer care said they haven't heard of any progress on them. My right ear hurts after 10 minutes of use, I've worn them for a few weeks, broken/bended them in, but haven't found a solution as the right ear doesn't get a good seal and hurts. I've searched this thread for alternatives but haven't found anything solid that might work, due to the unique earcup shape, only suggestions of pads fitting over the originals.

Val mentioned in September 2012 that they're busy on the M100 so I guess any replacement or modified XL pad from V-Moda might not arrive. I got the M80 because of the audiophile like praise on here and for portabilitiy, as well as for Val's involvement in our Head-Fi community, but I'm bummed I'll have to return these since they are a pain and won't be getting into the M100 since product support/replacement/accessories seems to be a question mark with V-Moda, at least for the M80.

Try stretching the headband and wearing them every once in awhile. It Seems like you actually have to break them in adn give them time.

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #2,618 of 2,828
anyone else pairing their m80's with the fiio e11? i just got the e11 this week. loving the combo. interested in hearing what other folk's reactions are 

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #2,621 of 2,828
Review of V-moda crossfade V-80.  Before buying the m-80, I went to a local microsoft store to try out the m-100 to see if it will make a good portable headphones.  i consider the sound to be adequate so i brought the V-80 from Amazon used for a total of 97.00 after shipping, taxes etc.

The sound from the m-80 have less bass than m-100.  EQing the m-80 does gave it a much bigger bass response, since i'm a basshead but i felt overall, it's still less bass than m-100.  I will test it myself later at some microsoft store to confirm this.  I'm an audiophile noob so i only have experience with a few headphones.  Right now i only carries two, one for home listening and one for portable.  For the shake of reviewing, i'm going to compare the portable(v-80) with my home phone which is Beyerdynamic Dt-990 Pro.

Highs: V-80 compare to Beyer is a bit recess in high but imo, it's perfect.  I actually dont like the high on beyer as much because i felt a bit fatigue listening to it.

Mids: Both are almost equal in the mids.  The beyer imo are a bit more forward in their mids than the v-80 but the difference in them are quite small in comparison to other headphones.

Bass: I felt the dt-990 bass is a bit punchier than the v-80.  However, after playing around with the eq, it is good enough for my ear.  M-100 have more bass as well.  Is it worth more than twice the price of v-80?  Nope.  The bass from the m-100 are still inferior to the dt990.

Soundstage: the v-80 soundstage is about the same as other portable that i've tried, such as sennheiser momentum etc.  Definitely MUCH smaller than the beyerdynamic dt 990 pro, which is an open headphone.  I would say the vmoda soundstage is just about 20 percent as big as the dt990 pro.  oh well, you give up the soundstage for more isolation.

Isolation: dt990 have zero isolation.  It is this reason alone that i brought the vmoda, for portable use.  Vmoda isolation is a lot better than what i read on here.  If people stands like 5 feet away from you talking, you prob wont hear what they say as long as you are playing the music.  It's pretty good isolation imo.  Obviously not noise cancelling like the bose, but MUCH better bass, much better mids etc.  You sacrifice the noise canceling for the bass and the mids as well as being MUCH cheaper.  97 vs 300, duh, it's a no brainer.

Build quality: Both are built like a tank, no complain on either one.

Looks: V-moda wins hands down.  When I wore my dt990 around, i get approach constantly by people asking me "does that headphone sounds good?"  Me thinking: "None of your ******* business".  Me telling them: "Yeah, it's the most awesome headphone ever.  Beyerdynamic dt990, check it out".  I dressed quite fashionably and the v-moda definitely fits with my looks much better than the dt990.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #2,622 of 2,828
  Review of V-moda crossfade V-80.  Before buying the m-80, I went to a local microsoft store to try out the m-100 to see if it will make a good portable headphones.  i consider the sound to be adequate so i brought the V-80 from Amazon used for a total of 97.00 after shipping, taxes etc.

The sound from the m-80 have less bass than m-100.  EQing the m-80 does gave it a much bigger bass response, since i'm a basshead but i felt overall, it's still less bass than m-100.  I will test it myself later at some microsoft store to confirm this.  I'm an audiophile noob so i only have experience with a few headphones.  Right now i only carries two, one for home listening and one for portable.  For the shake of reviewing, i'm going to compare the portable(v-80) with my home phone which is Beyerdynamic Dt-990 Pro.

Highs: V-80 compare to Beyer is a bit recess in high but imo, it's perfect.  I actually dont like the high on beyer as much because i felt a bit fatigue listening to it.

Mids: Both are almost equal in the mids.  The beyer imo are a bit more forward in their mids than the v-80 but the difference in them are quite small in comparison to other headphones.

Bass: I felt the dt-990 bass is a bit punchier than the v-80.  However, after playing around with the eq, it is good enough for my ear.  M-100 have more bass as well.  Is it worth more than twice the price of v-80?  Nope.  The bass from the m-100 are still inferior to the dt990.

Soundstage: the v-80 soundstage is about the same as other portable that i've tried, such as sennheiser momentum etc.  Definitely MUCH smaller than the beyerdynamic dt 990 pro, which is an open headphone.  I would say the vmoda soundstage is just about 20 percent as big as the dt990 pro.  oh well, you give up the soundstage for more isolation.

Isolation: dt990 have zero isolation.  It is this reason alone that i brought the vmoda, for portable use.  Vmoda isolation is a lot better than what i read on here.  If people stands like 5 feet away from you talking, you prob wont hear what they say as long as you are playing the music.  It's pretty good isolation imo.  Obviously not noise cancelling like the bose, but MUCH better bass, much better mids etc.  You sacrifice the noise canceling for the bass and the mids as well as being MUCH cheaper.  97 vs 300, duh, it's a no brainer.

Build quality: Both are built like a tank, no complain on either one.

Looks: V-moda wins hands down.  When I wore my dt990 around, i get approach constantly by people asking me "does that headphone sounds good?"  Me thinking: "None of your ******* business".  Me telling them: "Yeah, it's the most awesome headphone ever.  Beyerdynamic dt990, check it out".  I dressed quite fashionably and the v-moda definitely fits with my looks much better than the dt990.

unfortunately i think this has become a trend when reviewing headphones not point fingers at you, as isolation can be easily affected by how loud your playing the music

for sure a semi closed like the vmoda m80s is gonna have more than an open back 
but if you blast the music say even 70-80% u likely won't hear anything around u anyway

this is disregarding impedence and sensitivity and other factors as well

i have the noontec zoros and according to innerfidelity data it has poor isolation but  on my iphone (no amp for sake of comparison) i turn it about 60% i hear not much around anyway when commuting on bus etc

its killing my ears but i hear nothing as a result i don't use my noontec zoros commuting. i leave it at home or when walking in quiet to semi quiet areas or areas i need some awareness

so my question is how loud are you listening to them when doing your isolation segment

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #2,623 of 2,828
I put them on the same amount of volume as if i would be listening to them at home.  I like to protect my ears so i dont increase it higher than normal, which is around 60-70 percent on my Lg Optimus L9 phone.

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #2,624 of 2,828
  I put them on the same amount of volume as if i would be listening to them at home.  I like to protect my ears so i dont increase it higher than normal, which is around 60-70 percent on my Lg Optimus L9 phone.

i think plenty loud just imo because i'm pretty sure your dt990 has higher impedence, and probably lower sensitivity than your vmoda m80.

for fun this is what i use to measure approximately how loud i'm listening at, i'm not sure how accurate it is but its better than knowing nothing at all:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/threads/estimating-headphone-volume.364522/

this is bad assumption but i'm going to assume ur lg has the same output as a ipod touch unamped as its listed on the website. just to ballpark how loud ur listening and i will assume it has the same volume levels (out of 15 than a ipod touch) i'm pretty sure ur lg optimus would have more power than a little itouch but forgive me

this is all for fun though =)

on ur m-80 based on my calculations (double check for me) haha is 102dB and if ur lg optimus has more power then its probably louder

play around with the formula see what you get and see if it applies to you, it made me a lot more conscious about sound level. initially i measured around 100dB using my noontec zoro on my commute without realizing how loud it actually is

my ears would ring afterwards (i use to only use iems so its never that loud for me) so my ears aren't use to it.

so for my purposes now i only use high isolating gear. unless i'm at home. (even at home i listen straight off my macbook on itunes with the lowest volume setting 1/16 i think? but just 1 click and i even turn down the volume bar on itunes to about 60%. 

i realize i can still hear everything and my ears would not fatigue after a while

i hope you don't misinterpret my post, just wanna help another fellow head-fi enjoy years of audio nirvana =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back