V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2,386 of 2,828
Thanks for the replies...
Well, the delivery was screwed-up and I ended up getting a refund for them, which leaves me searching again.
Still need to decide very soon, so any further advice?
I'm leaning towards the M50, but I do need bass.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #2,388 of 2,828
Quote:
Didn't bother to wait in the end, just went for the M50s. Really hope they give me what I need

I forgot the mention the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. They have adjustable bass ports so you can fine tune it for more or less bass depending on whichever music you're listening to.

This guys loves the M50 and he basically says the COP is his new headphone of choice. He calls these the "Custom Pro Ones" a couple of times, though. 
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #2,389 of 2,828
Bit late. I mean I read up on these Beyers just now and they seem good, I like the port-selection idea...but I've already ordered the M50s
So just to put my mind at ease, do the M50s have punchy bass? Can they at least handle bass-heavy songs well?

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #2,390 of 2,828
The M50s will serve you just fine. They are one of the most highly recommended all-arounders on Head-fi and their durability and sound are great.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #2,392 of 2,828
Hi All,

Borriowing my bro's MDR1 from Sony. like it...alot.

But i notice a quirk with my use. I use the headset alot while lying in bed. Reading a book etc.
Than i notice a drawback with non IEMs headphones....it's quite difficult to get it comfortable...and the MDR1 is over ears..super light and comfy.

How would the M80s on ears feel like? would it work for my use? Relaxing in bed with a headset on.

Anyone fallen asleep with them on. can you do that at all :)

PS my go to IEM is the Qjays...is so tiny...extremely easy to fall asleep with them on. Hardly feel them. at all.

PPS sorry for hijacking this thread...cant fnd elsewhere my answer. before this i always have IEMS.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #2,393 of 2,828
Quote:
Random question, but do you guys think that v-moda will ever make a version of the m-80's that have the click hinges? 

i completely agree with this! i'm using the noontec zoros right right now and am waiting for the vmoda to make the m-80 but with the cliqfold hinge. i think then the m-80 would be the perfect portable headphone ( its already so small) and its not like vmoda has to remake the cliq fold ( they already have the design and now they just need to shrink it a bit 

can't wait for that day! hope val kolton's listening! =) he's going to have many new vmoda customers!!!

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,394 of 2,828
Quote:
The M50s will serve you just fine. They are one of the most highly recommended all-arounders on Head-fi and their durability and sound are great.

hi there i was wondering if you find the m-80s good for portable use? by that i mean subway and bus transit. i'm a university student and i need some isolation.

i'm not expecting iems but more isolation than the noontec zoros i have ( semisealed/ semi open) probably below average to average

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #2,395 of 2,828
Quote:
hi there i was wondering if you find the m-80s good for portable use? by that i mean subway and bus transit. i'm a university student and i need some isolation.

i'm not expecting iems but more isolation than the noontec zoros i have ( semisealed/ semi open) probably below average to average

They have relatively poor isolation because they are semi-open.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #2,396 of 2,828
So I bought a pair of M-80's from Amazon, and I just don't find them that comfortable. My Amazon return period is almost up, but I was interested in holding onto them for a bit longer, to see if they broke in anymore.

I contacted V-Moda and they said the 60 day test drive was only valid on products purchased directly through them? I don't think this is true, and that makes me hesitate to buy one of their products again in the future if they refuse to back such a broadly backed policy. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #2,397 of 2,828
Quote:
So I bought a pair of M-80's from Amazon, and I just don't find them that comfortable. My Amazon return period is almost up, but I was interested in holding onto them for a bit longer, to see if they broke in anymore.

I contacted V-Moda and they said the 60 day test drive was only valid on products purchased directly through them? I don't think this is true, and that makes me hesitate to buy one of their products again in the future if they refuse to back such a broadly backed policy. 

It's true.  You get the full warranty when purchased through any authorized seller, but the return (for refund) policy is dictated by the retailer and not V-Moda.  I lucked out with my M-80 return from Amazon as it was covered within the 60-day holiday return period, but under normal circumstances, they only give 30-days.

I went through the same thing and tried to hold onto the headphones as long as possible.  For me, there wasn't any improvement in comfort between day 30 and day 60.  I couldn't wear them for more than an hour without my ears getting painful and turning bright red.  If there was some level of swivel to the cups, I think they could be a lot more comfortable but I doubt they would sound nearly as good as it would be harder to get a tight seal.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #2,398 of 2,828
Hi All,

Borriowing my bro's MDR1 from Sony. like it...alot.

But i notice a quirk with my use. I use the headset alot while lying in bed. Reading a book etc.
Than i notice a drawback with non IEMs headphones....it's quite difficult to get it comfortable...and the MDR1 is over ears..super light and comfy.

How would the M80s on ears feel like? would it work for my use? Relaxing in bed with a headset on.

Anyone fallen asleep with them on. can you do that at all :)

PS my go to IEM is the Qjays...is so tiny...extremely easy to fall asleep with them on. Hardly feel them. at all.

PPS sorry for hijacking this thread...cant fnd elsewhere my answer. before this i always have IEMS.

Pretty sure someone asked the same exact thing recently, it was either on this thread or on joker's portables round-up thread, pretty sure it was this one tho... The guy also made a separate thread for the topic. You can use the search tool to search this thread only for the word sleep btw (or the board-wide search to look for the other thread), just mentioning it because alternatives were discussed and different opinions were shared so it'd be spot on for you.

Personally, I can fall asleep with them on, and I have in fact done so... Though mostly in a semi-seated position, like when I've been on a flight and I was too lazy to pull my IEM out of my bag. However, I wouldn't buy them for the express purpose of falling asleep with them in bed... I do find them comfortable enough for 1-2hrs of use but I roll around too much at night to have these on, doesn't seem remotely practical compared to IEM.

I know others disagreed on those threads I mentioned before, you'll find all extremes... Everything from the guy above who can't stand them at all (I'd suggest bending the headband a bit, tho I haven't had to do it with mine), to one ex-soldier who said he easily slept with them and loved the durability.

They have relatively poor isolation because they are semi-open.

I wouldn't call the M-80 semi open or poor at isolation... The cups are slightly vented, and there are some on ears that isolate more (most of those clamp way harder too, e.g. Senn HD25-1 II), but there are way more with poorer isolation.

For me it's just the right amount of isolation, enough that I don't hear people speaking near me or the general background noise of a mall/airport, but not so much that I'll miss an important PA announcement or someone trying to get my attention (though I still have to pause the music to understand anything).

If I want to be completely oblivious to the world I'll grab my IEM, and honestly, no headphone is gonna come close to the more isolating IEM in that regard.

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2,399 of 2,828
Quote:

It's true.  You get the full warranty when purchased through any authorized seller, but the return (for refund) policy is dictated by the retailer and not V-Moda.  I lucked out with my M-80 return from Amazon as it was covered within the 60-day holiday return period, but under normal circumstances, they only give 30-days.

I went through the same thing and tried to hold onto the headphones as long as possible.  For me, there wasn't any improvement in comfort between day 30 and day 60.  I couldn't wear them for more than an hour without my ears getting painful and turning bright red.  If there was some level of swivel to the cups, I think they could be a lot more comfortable but I doubt they would sound nearly as good as it would be harder to get a tight seal.

Well if you ask me that's a really ****ty policy....Don't advertise a 60 day trial period if you don't intend to honor it. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #2,400 of 2,828
Quote:
Well if you ask me that's a really ****ty policy....Don't advertise a 60 day trial period if you don't intend to honor it. 

This is the V-Moda official policy from their website:

[size=9pt]Two-Year Warranty - Immortal Life Program - 60-Day Test Drive Guarantee: Each M-80 purchased from a Verified Reseller is backed by a 2-Year V-MODA Premier Warranty, double the industry average. In the unlikely event you run over your headphones with a tank, with the V-MODA Immortal Life Program, you get 50% off a replacement for a lifetime. V-MODA is so confident the M-80 is a superior headphone, it even offers an unrivaled 60-day test drive guarantee.
[/size]
If you purchase direct from V-Moda, you will get the full 60 day test drive guarantee. That is their store's satisfaction guarantee.

If you purchase from another retailer like Amazon or GuitarCenter, they obviously have their own return policy, so the fact that another retailer will not be able to honor V-Moda's 60-day test drive return policy has nothing to do with V-Moda. The return policy you get is dependent on the store you purchase it from. For example, New Egg is an authorized V-Moda retailer, but they only offer a 30 day return window and can charge a 15% restocking fee. DJTechTools is another authorized retailer that offers only a 15 day return window & charges a 15% restocking fee. Different stores have different refund policies. lol

If you purchased from an authorized vendor, the V-Moda will still back up their headphones with their 2-year warranty and the Immortal Life program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back