V-MODA Crossfade M-80 Reviews
Oct 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #2,056 of 2,828
I was GOING to return these because I had the same problem.  But I heard mixed reviews on the comfort of these headphones so I just crossed my fingers and kept them.

It's not going to get better after 24 hours or a week.  I have had these for about a month already and the only way the comfort gets better is if you bend the headphones so that they align perfectly with the shape of your head and ears.  After about 2 weeks the comfort was still the same (the pads did get softer) and I was going to return these.  But I was like...no way, there's no way that the comfort can be THIS bad.  I own a pair of DT770s and between wearing those and these, the DT770s blow these out of the water.  But that was before I adjusted the headband and angle of the ear cups.  After I did that, I can confidently say that the M80s are A LOT MORE comfortable than when I first got them and I can wear them for nearly 8 hours.

I have done a test run on the comfort of these headphones now - Come home, put them out my ears and literally just sit there with them on my ears for as long as possible before I feel pain in my ears.  If I start to feel pain then I just keep readjusting the headband / ear cups.  This takes patience...don't give up on the M80s yet I'm glad I didn't.

Kinda sad that they didn't include an audio splitter...but it's only a minor problem.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #2,057 of 2,828
Quote:
I was GOING to return these because I had the same problem.  But I heard mixed reviews on the comfort of these headphones so I just crossed my fingers and kept them.

It's not going to get better after 24 hours or a week.  I have had these for about a month already and the only way the comfort gets better is if you bend the headphones so that they align perfectly with the shape of your head and ears.  After about 2 weeks the comfort was still the same (the pads did get softer) and I was going to return these.  But I was like...no way, there's no way that the comfort can be THIS bad.  I own a pair of DT770s and between wearing those and these, the DT770s blow these out of the water.  But that was before I adjusted the headband and angle of the ear cups.  After I did that, I can confidently say that the M80s are A LOT MORE comfortable than when I first got them and I can wear them for nearly 8 hours.

I have done a test run on the comfort of these headphones now - Come home, put them out my ears and literally just sit there with them on my ears for as long as possible before I feel pain in my ears.  If I start to feel pain then I just keep readjusting the headband / ear cups.  This takes patience...don't give up on the M80s yet I'm glad I didn't.

Kinda sad that they didn't include an audio splitter...but it's only a minor problem.

I tried adjusting the angle of the cups and I'm almost certain that's what caused them to break recently. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #2,058 of 2,828
Quote:
Quote:
I just gave these M-80 a try the other day in Radio Shack and played them through my IPhone. They sounded strange to me compared to my Grados. The Grados tend to fill my head with music while the M80 I tried made it seem like the music was more swirling around the top of my head if that makes sense. Has anybody else noticed this? They sure are good looking cans though.

Maybe you wore them too high up on your ears?

When I get a chance I will go back and give them another listen and play around with the fit a little bit to see if the soundstage changes for me. It was a pretty quick audition so I should be fair and give them more of a chance before I pass judgement.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #2,059 of 2,828
I tried adjusting the angle of the cups and I'm almost certain that's what caused them to break recently. 

How'd they break? I'm getting mine on Friday, I've found the display units decently comfortable but I figured I'd adjust them a bit for long term comfort, since I do have pretty large ears (twisting the cups). Might just leave well enough alone...

They seem super sturdy to me tho, I gave the display unit a few good twists and didn't even hear any major creaks. Frankly I think I'm more concerned with not twisting the cups evenly or to the right angle than with breaking them.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #2,060 of 2,828
I've recently acquired an M-80 from a fellow Head-Fier, and I have to say -- I'm thoroughly impressed.

In comparison to my ATH-M50 (white box):
-The build quality and feel is much more "premium" feeling
-It seems to have a little more bass. It goes deeper and seems more controlled.
-I'm liking the midrange - first time vocals have ever impressed me
-MUCH more comfortable. Like heaven on ears after the dreaded "comfort" of the M50.
-Much more portable!
-The detachable kevlar cloth-covered remote-and-mic cables are definitely better.
-Cooler looking.
-Pads are a completely different type of material...a bit spongy.
-About equal levels of noise isolation; not sure about leakage

Gushing reviews, I know. But  I'm in a marriage phase with these headphones right now, so my observations are bound to be biased.
How long do the earpads take to conform to the ear's shape? I'm wearing them nonstop to help speed up this process...

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #2,061 of 2,828
Quote:

I use my M-80s for gaming all the time.  Pair it with an Astro Mixamp and you can use it with your 360/ps3/PC with voice also.  Definitely a versatile headphone.  I think the M-100 will be better since it's around the ear and not on the ear, but you get the idea.

I used my M-80 while gaming but I would definitely not describe it as a gamingheadset. 
I use my M100's with the boom mic while gaming now. Better soundstage=win.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2,062 of 2,828
Quote:
I used my M-80 while gaming but I would definitely not describe it as a gamingheadset. 
I use my M100's with the boom mic while gaming now. Better soundstage=win.

Which is exactly why I ordered a pair of M100s too!  :)  Just gotta wait a while for them to arrive.  It's killing me reading that thread daily.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #2,063 of 2,828
Quote:
How'd they break? I'm getting mine on Friday, I've found the display units decently comfortable but I figured I'd adjust them a bit for long term comfort, since I do have pretty large ears (twisting the cups). Might just leave well enough alone...
They seem super sturdy to me tho, I gave the display unit a few good twists and didn't even hear any major creaks. Frankly I think I'm more concerned with not twisting the cups evenly or to the right angle than with breaking them.

There is a piece of plastic inside the headband that holds the clicking mechanism (the sound you hear when you adjust how far the arms stick out) and I'm not sure how but that isn't attached anymore so it can't hold the arm in fully. I posted a picture a few pages back and there is a noticeable bulge in the headband on one side. I really can't describe it that well. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #2,064 of 2,828
Ah, the M-100 is out. The picture shows a boom mic that is attached to the cable to be sold separately, any date on when this will be available? Since it uses a detachable 3.5mm cable, I assume it will also work with the M-80s? 

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #2,065 of 2,828
Quote:
Ah, the M-100 is out. The picture shows a boom mic that is attached to the cable to be sold separately, any date on when this will be available? Since it uses a detachable 3.5mm cable, I assume it will also work with the M-80s? 

I just tried it out and yes, it does work with the M-80s! We have no idea when it'll be released separately though.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #2,066 of 2,828
Does the boom mic cable just terminate into two 3.5mm connectors for mic/headphones? Seems rather neat, I'd probably buy one for my M-80 if they eventually make it available for under $25. Edit: Never mind, just saw DaBomb mentioned on the M-100 thread it's TRRS terminated (one plug), still kinda neat tho.

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #2,067 of 2,828
Got my M-80 today! I would describe the sound as half a "plateau." The bass and mids sound pretty even, while the high end is not as loud and sparkly as I would like it to be.
I have a larger head(not super large) and I have no problem fitting them on my head.
What I dislike about them is that they push against the cartilage of my ear. I have weird ears where the cartilage is very prominent.
And this is a problem all on-ears have, they do not like people with piercings. I have two rings on my left :frowning2:.
I heard there was a video on how to adjust the headband or something. I can't find it. Can someone help me?!

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #2,068 of 2,828
Got my M-80 today! I would describe the sound as half a "plateau." The bass and mids sound pretty even, while the high end is not as loud and sparkly as I would like it to be.

I have a larger head(not super large) and I have no problem fitting them on my head.

What I dislike about them is that they push against the cartilage of my ear. I have weird ears where the cartilage is very prominent.

And this is a problem all on-ears have, they do not like people with piercings. I have two rings on my left :frowning2:.

I heard there was a video on how to adjust the headband or something. I can't find it. Can someone help me?!

You're probably referring to Tyll's review/video at InnerFidelity.com, he makes a comment about how you can twist the headband to conform the cups to the angle of your ears and then demonstrates it, a lot of people have been alluding to the clip in this context.

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #2,069 of 2,828
And some damaging their headbands. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #2,070 of 2,828
You too or are you referring to Posam's earlier posts?

Man the price on these things on Amazon has been all over the place lately. I should've bought them when they were $160-something. They're $173 right now but it's jumped back up to $200 several times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back