V-moda Crossfade LP: I need some confirmation!
Apr 20, 2011 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Genocide174

100+ Head-Fier
So.. From what I've read on the forums, there has been some mixed feelings about these headphones. Some people love it because of the extreme bass, some hate it because of the same reason.

Pretty much every review I've seen OUT OF head-fi is positive. As mentioned above, in head-fi it's mixed.

So I wanna know for sure how they sound. Keep in mind that I am no where close to being an audiophile, so all of these extremely small differences when it comes to claritys, treble and low - high frequency I can't hear. My ears are simply not trained for it.

Also I'd like a comparison of the crossfade and the M50. Because I live in Sweden, the M50 will cost me around 250$, although that's from a local store it's easier compared to the crossfade which will cost me around 125£ (200$). So what should I do?

The V-moda's are pretty much impossible for me to try because for some reason only 1 store sells them and that's an online store. If I do end up ordering the V-moda's it'll be from Amazon-UK since I can get them delivered for free.

So considering the pro's and con's I just mentioned, I don't know what to get. I will from the bottom of my wallet appreciate any help from you guys!

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 8
The V-moda's put form ahead of function.  They perform similarly to the mid range beats models, in that they have very powerful bass, but perform mediocre in the mids and highs.  They are standard stock in apple stores in the US, so if you have any apple stores near you, I would give them a call and see if they stock the Crossfades.  Comparing to the M50's, the Crossfades are a worse performing product in a prettier package.  The hard case on the Crossfades is a very nice touch.

In the long run, I would not recommend buying the Crossfades if you can't see them in person.  I was rather surprised when I got mine about all the positive reviews I had read.  I found everything but electronica (the bass heavy stuff) to sound mediocre at best, and the comfort was no where near what I expected.  That said, they feel VERY sturdy and durable, and come with the nicest case I've ever seen for headphones.

In this price range, I'd strongly recommend checking out some other products.  The Crossfades can be found on ebay for < $100 US, and I think thats a fair price point for what they offer.  For the Crossfade's retail price, you can do a lot better.

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
The V-moda's put form ahead of function.  They perform similarly to the mid range beats models, in that they have very powerful bass, but perform mediocre in the mids and highs.  They are standard stock in apple stores in the US, so if you have any apple stores near you, I would give them a call and see if they stock the Crossfades.  Comparing to the M50's, the Crossfades are a worse performing product in a prettier package.  The hard case on the Crossfades is a very nice touch.

In the long run, I would not recommend buying the Crossfades if you can't see them in person.  I was rather surprised when I got mine about all the positive reviews I had read.  I found everything but electronica (the bass heavy stuff) to sound mediocre at best, and the comfort was no where near what I expected.  That said, they feel VERY sturdy and durable, and come with the nicest case I've ever seen for headphones.

In this price range, I'd strongly recommend checking out some other products.  The Crossfades can be found on ebay for < $100 US, and I think thats a fair price point for what they offer.  For the Crossfade's retail price, you can do a lot better.

Actually only the Apple store's in the US carries the crossfade's, here in Sweden they do not. However you're post I clared things up for me. I won't get the crossfades.

I'm able to try out the m50's in a store. So if I like them I'll get them.

A question though.  Do you know how the m50 produces bass? I'm a basshead, although not extreme but I do like that feeling of great bass.

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 8
The M50's have good bass, but I wouldn't call them a bass head can.  Try them out, and see how you feel about the bass.  From what you're looking at and what you seem to want, it sounds like the Phiaton ms400 might be the right way for you to go.  I've also heard that the Sony XB series are really solid for bass heads, but I have no experience with those myself.

Apr 20, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
The M50's have good bass, but I wouldn't call them a bass head can.  Try them out, and see how you feel about the bass.  From what you're looking at and what you seem to want, it sounds like the Phiaton ms400 might be the right way for you to go.  I've also heard that the Sony XB series are really solid for bass heads, but I have no experience with those myself.

Actually it seems like the Phiaton brand isn't sold by any store in Sweden..  Odd?

Wow those Sony's are huuuuge. I don't think I'd like them very much. Also I'm trying to look for a higher end headphone for my next purchase. Since my last one was AKG K518LE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back