V is for Vendetta
Mar 18, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #16 of 62
I saw this film in an IMAX theater. If you have the means, I highly recommend an IMAX enhanced experience.

Without the strong message of the movie it might have been good instead of great. In fact, the movie had enough of an impact on me that I left wanting to read the comic. If you are sensitive to oppression, go and enjoy.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkisz
My opionion may have also been influenced by recently viewing 9/11 Loose Change and the similar story arc in the movie.

I definitely recommend seing Loose Change to anyone who hasn't seen it. I think you can stream it for free off of the internet. I'm going to go see V in a couple hours, I'll tell you what I think.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #18 of 62
Good movie. I enjoyed it, and I think it was thought provoking, well made movie.

Thumbs up!

This is not some popcorn action movie...it's got a strong message, and quite different from any hero action movie based on a comic you'll see

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #19 of 62
Some parts were good, but overall I'm not really sure what to make out of it. I thought Natalie was ok and her accent was atrocious.
orphsmile.gif

I think the love story part is a bit off.

Has anyone read the graphic novel?

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #20 of 62
Well I hope we all realize it is possible for a movie to be something other than a perfect 10 or a horrible 1. I think it was just ok. I was entertained but not going for the DVD, was just eh.

It is very political and I have read some people say it is just a knock on the Bush administration but the commic was written between 82-85 and they wanted to make the movie in like 1997 but decided to do The Matrix first. So that reasoning doesn't hold water.

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #21 of 62
Actually when Moore wrote the graphic novels, part of his intention was to criticize the then-Margaret Thatcher conservative Parliament in Britain. I think the producers just took that criticism and applied it to today's political regimes.

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #22 of 62
Ok first off its V FOR Vendetta.

I read the graphic novel a year or so back and it was amazing. Alan Moore is a really great writer and he is often heralded as someone who has "validated" the comic book scene, because he brought actual thought and intellect to comic books.

This story isn't meant to be a high action thirller like most comic based movies. It is supposed to be more thought provoking.(As Alan Moore put it, this story is for those who stand to watch the news, or something close to that) So whoever was expecting the movie to be completly action packed would be dissapointed.

As far as the movie goes... I thought it was OK. If you've read the book then you will surley love the book more than the movie. Its just that the movie sort of left things out that would have made the experince deeper. And a lot of little events and things get twisted around. I thought Natlie Portman was good. Oh and it seems like the movie sort of toned down some of the bad things(compared to the book), which sort of felt a little akward...Overall I think for those who haven't read the book it would be a pretty good movie. Thumbs up

My one real problem I had with the movie though was that they put in some unesacacy humerous situations, that when I was reading the book did not feel were meant to be humerous.

I would add more of my 2 cents, but I would end up ranting and getting frustrasted...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterboy55
I read the graphic novel a year or so back and it was amazing. Alan Moore is a really great writer and he is often heralded as someone who has "validated" the comic book scene, because he brought actual thought and intellect to comic books.

Actually, infantilism in comics is a purely American phenomenon, probably due to the code of self-censorship the industry adopted during the Cold War. The Japanese or Europeans have a fine tradition of comics catering to a grown-up audience, with sophisticated plots, mature themes and often gorgeous artistry. Even in the US, there are quality comics to be found outside the DC Comics wasteland, just look at the work of Robert Crumb, Art Spiegelman or Joe Sacco.

Quote:

As far as the movie goes... I thought it was OK. If you've read the book then you will surley love the book more than the movie. Its just that the movie sort of left things out that would have made the experince deeper. And a lot of little events and things get twisted around.

I went to see it today (in IMAX, no less), and it is pretty good, the two out of two reviewers I read who panned it were clearly churlish. I guess that's why I usually don't pay attention to critics in the first place.

The movie is not entirely faithful to the book in the letter, but it is in spirit. It is also far superior aesthetically (to be entirely frank, the drawings in the book are very poorly executed). There is a logical discrepancy that isn't there in the book: the experiments on V were used to develop the virus used to impose totalitarian order on England, but it is this totalitarian order that made it possible to send blacks, homosexuals and Jews to the death camp in the first place, so there is a chicken and egg syndrome in the movie's chronology.

Quote:

I thought Natlie Portman was good.

Just OK in my book. Not atrociously bad as in "Revenge of the Sith", but nowhere near as good as in "Leon". Weaving is also stiff in the movie, but the stilted dialogue he has to work with certainly doesn't help. No, I think the really outstanding acting is by Stephen Rea (Inspector Finch), a decent man working for a monstruous regime. Actually, this sorts of reminds me of his performance in "Michael Collins".

Update: I checked Rea's bio on IMDB, and wow! The guy is Irish and Protestant, yet also a Republican, and was actually married to a convicted IRA bomber, Dolours Price, who planted a bomb in the Old Bailey (among others) with her sister Marian in 1973. The marriage was after she was released from prison in early eighties. The intensity of both performances ("V" and "Michael Collins") makes much more sense now.

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #24 of 62
I'm going to see it this Friday most likely. But I'm not very critical of movies. TI allow sme to enjoy them .
biggrin.gif
The color pallet looks interesting at least

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #25 of 62
Saw this last night, I quite enjoyed it! The heart of the messages told weren't really new, and the few shades of gray were oddly-placed, but the story was well-told and w/ great style. I had no complaints about the acting, and the action scenes got right to the point, so to speak. I got what I wanted from it, at least.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #26 of 62
More thought provoking than action packed and sends out a very powerful message, something alot of people fail to grasp (hence the boring remarks). Try relating the underlying message to the real world and it shall become more apparent! Unfortunately it will be very difficult to discuss this whilst keeping the thread open.
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #28 of 62
Based on Weaving's dialog, maybe it should be called "V for Verbose".

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #29 of 62
My theater recieved its first copy of V for vendetta at 11pm wednesday night and by thursday the 16th one day before the release date I had already watched it twice ^_^ I love my job

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #30 of 62
wow, suprised its getting bad reviews here, I've heard great things from my friends.

also, you can't hardly blame *anyone* for acting badly in the SW prequels, they had to do it in front of green screen with no props, heh. jackson, portman, christensen(among others), all good actors who looked silly because 99% of the movie was standing in front of a green screen talking to a wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back