V is for Vendetta
Mar 17, 2006 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

mr_baseball_08

1000+ Head-Fier
Anyone going to see it this weekend?? I'm going to see it tonight and I gotta say I'm really looking forward to it.. Alan Moore's LOExG really got hacked in the theaters, but in the previews this is looking like it might be alright. Anybody else have any thoughts?

Mar 17, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 62
I have no idea what the movie will be like but there have been plenty of interesting stories about Alan Moore, his fight with the studios and DC - all very interesting reads.
I didn't read V for Vendetta when I was old enough to be reading comics, but I did read 'Watchmen' as a teenager, and found it very good.
I don't know if I'll see V for Vendetta in the theaters, I guess I'll wait for some impressions first.

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 62
I saw the movie last night, I really don't even know what to say about it as different things rush my mind.

Good thing I knew who Guy Fawks was before I saw the movie.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 62
it's "v for vendetta". no "is".

we're going to see this in the theater, perhaps at the seattle center imax...

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 62
I saw V for Vendeta today and saddly it wasn't very good. It did have a few parts that were actually touching but the plot was very simple and didactic. It was also very light in action sequences. I'd say about 1/3 less than spiderman 2 even. One of the fight scenes however is quite good but nothing like in the first matrix.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 62
none of my friends enjoyed it but I found it to be interesting and entertaining. much more thought provoking than some other movies I've seen recently.

"remember remember the 5th of november
gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason the gunpowder, treason
should ever be forgot"

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #9 of 62
The trailers looked as if the movie was very entertaining. I still want to see it too, but I hope I like it more than some have reported in this thread. At least my expectations will not be as high.

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #10 of 62
The critics have panned it as simplistic and unfaithful to the original (many elements that could be construed as references to current events were toned down). Moore asked for his name to be taken off the credits, need I say more?

A shame, it was an opportunity for Natalie Portman to redeem herself after her abysmal performance in "Revenge of the Sith", but clearly she is not going back t when she knew how to act, like when she starred in Leon...

I will still go an watch it, but I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 62
Well, I'll have to say I was slightly let down. The movie moves rather slowly and there isn't near as much action as the trailers let on.. It also jumps around a lot and tries to weave too many things into such a small time frame which makes a lot of it feel forced. It definitely makes you think, though, and I just enjoy this type of movie. My recommendation is skip the movie and read George Orwell's 1984.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 62
This was the worst movie I have seen this year. BORING!!

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid
The critics have panned it as simplistic and unfaithful to the original (many elements that could be construed as references to current events were toned down). Moore asked for his name to be taken off the credits, need I say more?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/v_for_vendetta/

? The critics didn't pan it. Haven't seen it myself.

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 62
I just got back from seeing it. I haven't read the graphic novel. My expectations had been lowered a bit after reading this thread and some reviews. That being said, I found it to be a very enjoyable movie, much more of a thought provoker than an action flick. It had plenty of intense dialouge and some welcome, yet sparse, comic relief.

My opionion may have also been influenced by recently viewing 9/11 Loose Change and the similar story arc in the movie.

Natalie Portman did a good job, too. I don't blame her for the Star Wars prequels, as she was neither the writer nor the director. <cough, Lucas, cough>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back