UW (Waterloo) Students?
Mar 23, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #16 of 31
UW is a very boring school with ugly buildings and the network for programming was extremely slow when I went there. The cs program is not fun, but it does reward you with nice co-op jobs and lots of job opportunities once you graduate. ^^

Biggie.

Mar 23, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
UW is a very boring school with ugly buildings and the network for programming was extremely slow when I went there. The cs program is not fun, but it does reward you with nice co-op jobs and lots of job opportunities once you graduate. ^^

Biggie.

True, the campus life at Canadian Universities is VERY different from American ones in general. The only one that came somewhat close was UBC for campus life, but yeah... more a place for studying, not so many parties, or going out for the Uni's team. I visited Yale once, totally different experience.

Mar 23, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #18 of 31
The plus side of waterloo is that Laurier is down the street and it has a girl:guy ratio of about 4:1
smily_headphones1.gif
)

-Scott

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #19 of 31
Yeah Laurier is where its at. ^^

Biggie.

Mar 24, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #21 of 31
How's Waterloo compared to Kingston?

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1cx
How's Waterloo compared to Kingston?

Well, for one, paradoxically Kingston has far more 'Water'
tongue.gif

I've lived in both towns. They each have their pluses and minuses... Kingston has a beautiful waterfront, neat museums, a huge old Fort, great restaurants, close access to amazing provincial parks and beaches (Sandbanks!)... but the nightlife in Kingston is ultra-ultra-cheesy IMO, except for a few pubs. In contrast, Waterloo has less of the family-type stuff, but the nightlife is WAY better IMO, and you're within spitting distance of the T-dot.

Both towns have a LOT of students. Waterloo is more multi-cultural though. Queen's undergrad students are way more snobby too (no offense to any lol).

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #23 of 31
What about the quality of girls in each town?
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #24 of 31
Hmmm.... don't know much about UW girls, but Laurier girls rate highly on my meter
smily_headphones1.gif
Excellent ratio. Waterloo as a whole is loaded with approachable cute girls. I never had a problem in that department. I would say that Queen's also rates very highly. However, I was limited to observation-only during my time there, as I had a girlfriend the entire time.

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1cx
What about the quality of girls in each town?
biggrin.gif

sad to say, thats a good question that i would not dare ask!
icon10.gif

lol...York I hear has AMAZING looking girls..I've heard this from different people that york is rated second in north america for best looking girls...Now, don't ask me who did this "study"..It's just something I heard.

So what is there to do in Waterloo for fun? You mentioned there is good night life? What does that include? Just bars and night clubs? And what do you mean by cheesy nightlife in Kingston?

Thanks for the input, i really appreciate it

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexs
icon10.gif

lol...York I hear has AMAZING looking girls..I've heard this from different people that york is rated second in north america for best looking girls...Now, don't ask me who did this "study"..It's just something I heard.

So what is there to do in Waterloo for fun? You mentioned there is good night life? What does that include? Just bars and night clubs? And what do you mean by cheesy nightlife in Kingston?

Oh I know this really hot girl that goes to York. She used to go to my school. However, I wouldn't go to York if you are really serious about your education. I heard that York has more of a high school mentality.

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #27 of 31
I'm definitely not going to base my decision on what uni has the most hot girls..

I can see what you mean by them having a high school mentality. I was there last week with a friend just for a visit/looking around, and it didn't really feel like a university. Waterloo definitely has a university feel.

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

icon10.gif

I've heard the same about York, but I've also heard it's basically a commuter-school and in a lousy neighborhood far away from downtown.

Waterloo basically has a wide array of busy nightclubs, IMO of greater variety than is typically found in towns of its size. There's everything from upscale, TO-esque places where you won't get in without dress pants, to some great pubs, to the dirtiest anything-goes meat markets around. And in the morning when the bars close, everyone head's over to Mel's Diner for a greasy breakfast. It's a good time indeed. There's also ample places to take a date, such as a couple of nice bubble-tea lounges, and this super nice restaurant (can't remember the name..) with a live jazz band!

Oh yea, Waterloo also has 2 pretty cool outdoor go-kart tracks. If you get a group of people, you can rent one of them for the whole night.

When I say Kingston is cheesy, I guess I mean the nightclubs are the type that play mid-90's hip hop and dance songs, there are lots of fights, and they have a bad reputation for a disproportionate frequency of date-rape drugs ending up in people's drinks. Not my style.

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #29 of 31
Thanks for that!

Cool thing is I knoe mel's diner, ive been to it before...and ive been to one of the go karting places you are talking about!
icon10.gif

They guy i work with is 26, and he graduated from laurier...he also tells me great things, and tells me about places to go. Have you heard of "phil's"? he says his band played there some times, and that they have very cheap drinks..

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyRx7
I've heard the same about York, but I've also heard it's basically a commuter-school and in a lousy neighborhood far away from downtown.

Waterloo basically has a wide array of busy nightclubs, IMO of greater variety than is typically found in towns of its size. There's everything from upscale, TO-esque places where you won't get in without dress pants, to some great pubs, to the dirtiest anything-goes meat markets around. And in the morning when the bars close, everyone head's over to Mel's Diner for a greasy breakfast. It's a good time indeed. There's also ample places to take a date, such as a couple of nice bubble-tea lounges, and this super nice restaurant (can't remember the name..) with a live jazz band!

Oh yea, Waterloo also has 2 pretty cool outdoor go-kart tracks. If you get a group of people, you can rent one of them for the whole night.

When I say Kingston is cheesy, I guess I mean the nightclubs are the type that play mid-90's hip hop and dance songs, there are lots of fights, and they have a bad reputation for a disproportionate frequency of date-rape drugs ending up in people's drinks. Not my style.

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Thanks for that!

Cool thing is I knoe mel's diner, ive been to it before...and ive been to one of the go karting places you are talking about!
icon10.gif

They guy i work with is 26, and he graduated from laurier...he also tells me great things, and tells me about places to go. Have you heard of "phil's"? he says his band played there some times, and that they have very cheap drinks..

smily_headphones1.gif
Yea, Phil's is this legendary basement bar across the street from Laurier, where you pay something like $8 to get in, but then they have like every conceivable type of beer at $2 each. They play a wide variety of music, including indie rock, alternative, metal, etc. It's usually considered the place to start off the night.

Oh, BY THE WAY, be sure to check out a place called Morty's. They literally have the best chicken wings I have every had in my life. The size of drumsticks!!!
basshead.gif
They have a weekly cheap wing night where you can stuff yourself silly for like $7 or so. Not only that, but you can meet the old man Morty himself, who is quite the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back