UW (Waterloo) Students?
Mar 19, 2006 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

alexs

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not a UW student myself (although it is one of my options for next september) but I've already had 2 transactions here on Head-Fi with someone from there.

So I'm wondering if there are more of you out there? How are you liking it? Input would be appreciated

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 31
I just graduated from there. I know 4 other head-fiers that use to go there. The co-op program there means a lot of students with extra cash and little responsibilites hehe.

Biggie.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 31
I just happen to live in Waterloo
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 31
I'm planning to apply there next school year. How difficult is it to get into the engineering program if anyone knows?

Mar 23, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 31
I'm a UoW student... I couldn't get in upon first applying, but I did manage to jump in second year through a college transfer program. I'm doing a masters now. An excellent university.. a lot of opportunity for exchange, as I've already been to Shanghai, and am now completing a semester exchange at Simon Fraser.

If anything, they need a little more on-campus housing.

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 31
I'm graduating from engineering this spring. It's been a long hard road, but highly recommended. The co-op program is the only way to go if you're doing engineering IMO.

I don't know how hard it is to get into anymore. They have more departments now than when I started (nanotech, mechatronics, and they're starting a business eng one I think). If you stay away from the new ones and stick to mech, civil, chem, ECE, you shouldn't have much of a problem getting in if you have a decent resume and good marks (85%+ likely).

-Scott

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 31
I wonder if they really look at the extracurricular activities because I don't participate in many due to my lazyness to stay after school.

Mar 23, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 31
I graduated in Maths from UW 3 years ago. Great school, hard for first and second years (kick lots of ppl out from program), then you will get used to it later. Well, lots of employers LOVE UW students......
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 31
I didn't do a lot for extra-ciricular in high school. I played volleyball and that was about it. I think a good reference letter helps, going to Shad is also a big plus. When I applied there was a check box asking if the applicant had gone to Shad.

-Scott

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by adolphe
I didn't do a lot for extra-ciricular in high school. I played volleyball and that was about it. I think a good reference letter helps, going to Shad is also a big plus. When I applied there was a check box asking if the applicant had gone to Shad.

-Scott

At what grade did you go to Shad? I was going to apply this year but I was too lazy to do the application. I might apply next year though.

Mar 23, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #14 of 31
I went after grade 12 before going into university. I would say it was about 60% students after grade 12, and 40% students after grade 11 who went.

It was a blast, definately one of my greater experiences. Plus you get to belong to the Shad cult...possibly more exclusive than the stonecutters!
smily_headphones1.gif

-Scott

Mar 23, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #15 of 31
I am a 2B CS student at UW..
smily_headphones1.gif

Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back