Using the E7
Feb 3, 2011 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

MarkyMark87

100+ Head-Fier
So I finally got my E7 in on Monday and I'm finally ready to start using it tonight, I just have a few quetions that weren't answered in the manual and I can't find it with search.

1)  Do I set my laptop volume to max?
2)  Do I have to change settings on my laptop so that I can use it while plugged into the usb?  If so how?
3)  I know with laptops, if your battery is fully charged and you leave it in while having it plugged with ac power the battery loses battery life over time so you should remove the battery.  So since the battery is stuck in the E7, is there a way around this to prevent battery life loss over time or is it neglible in this case?

Thanks guys :)

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 23
1: Laptop volume ceases to have any function, except mute.
2: Right-Click the volume icon in the bottom right corner (for windows) and hit playback devices, then enable the USB/DAC and disable anything else.
3: I think it is pretty negligible, but I think it is easy to send back to Fiio for a replacement.

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 23

Quote:
2: Right-Click the volume icon in the bottom right corner (for windows) and hit playback devices, then enable the USB/DAC and disable anything else.
3: I think it is pretty negligible, but I think it is easy to send back to Fiio for a replacement.

Thank you sir :)

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 23

Quote:
3)  I know with laptops, if your battery is fully charged and you leave it in while having it plugged with ac power the battery loses battery life over time so you should remove the battery.  So since the battery is stuck in the E7, is there a way around this to prevent battery life loss over time or is it neglible in this case?

Turn off the USB charger when plugged into the computer and you don't need more battery for portable use, and it's optimal to keep lithium-ion batteries at 40% capacity for longevity.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you sir :)

Well...usually even mute won't work, and you have to use the controls on E7 alone. Also, your computer should recognise the E7 immediately and change the output to E7.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 23
In my case:
Recognized immediately: yes
Changed automatically: no (I had to do it manually)

I haven't done much listening from my laptop's headphone out, but I did for a few minutes just prior to trying the E7 for the first time.  There is definitely a noticeable difference, even with the easy-to-drive IEMs I was using.  (E7 was superior... most immediately obvious were enhanced vocal clarity, better-controlled bass, and treble presence)  I think I'm gonna like this little device... :)  Now if only my Senns would show up so I can give the E9 a workout...

*Edit
What I said above was true on my laptop running Vista.  On my desktop running XP, the E7 was both recognized immediately and changed to my default audio device. 
Also, the E9 seems to be working great so far.  Haven't "challenged" it yet (still waiting on those HD650s), but it is making my M2s sing nicely.

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 23
When I use my E7 I control the volume/mute from the media player. (Windows 7)

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 23
Seems like E7 is different for everyone :\

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 23
Yes hardware volume is bypassed, but software like Winamp, Media Player, Foobar, Youtube and such will still have volume control. They should be maxed, for the most part.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 23
Thanks everyone for the help, still haven't used it yet as I hadto go out of town for a family emergency, will definitely get to use it tomorrow, nervous to see if it meets my expectations :)

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 23
Finally started using the E7, using a Sony Vaio with Windows 7, it immediately recognized it and worked, didn't have to change anything.  Thanks everyone.  As far as meeting expectations, as a DAC I think the sound is only marginally clearer, maybe the laptop had a decent sound card already as I just got it last week.  As an amp, it only gives me the vibration type feeling I was hoping for if I put the volume at 45 or higher which is too loud, maybe I need to pair this with the E9.  Im using the Srh750DJ so I don't think I would need a bassier headphone but maybe I'm wrong if I am going to get the vibration type feeling I want with my bass.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 23
Quick question, I plugged it in and used it for a few hours while "usb charge" was on and the red Fiio indcator was on.  I was using it like this for 3-4 hours and it was still charging and the indicator was still on, so how do I know its done charging?  I turned "usb charge" off and the battery seems to be full, does it mean the battery was fully charged this whole time?  Is there any way to know for sure? 

Thanks

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 23
The battery is full when the bar is no longer flashing. The red FiiO logo only tells you whether you have turned on the USB charger. It is wise to turn it off whenever you see a stationary full battery bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back