Using Receiver as Headphone Amp--Static Issue
May 16, 2006 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Cyrillic

100+ Head-Fier
I get some static out of the headphone output jack on my Sansui 4000, which is somewhere around 20-30 years old. Is it fixable or just a product of the fact that it's made for speakers mainly? The static isn't something I can live with--it's far too noticable. No static on the speakers thankfully, and I have a Gilmore Lite, but swapping the source output to each amp is a hassle, so I'd like to avoid that if I can.

Actually it does make a slight buzzing on the speakers. Can't hear it over my computer since they're about 10 ft away, but when I go up next to them I can. It's a bit irritating cause I sleep with my head right next to them and I leave the receiver on cause it's also my alarm.

Thanks,

Kyle

May 16, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrillic
I get some static out of the headphone output jack on my Sansui 4000, which is somewhere around 20-30 years old. Is it fixable or just a product of the fact that it's made for speakers mainly? The static isn't something I can live with--it's far too noticable. No static on the speakers thankfully, and I have a Gilmore Lite, but swapping the source output to each amp is a hassle, so I'd like to avoid that if I can.

Actually it does make a slight buzzing on the speakers. Can't hear it over my computer since they're about 10 ft away, but when I go up next to them I can. It's a bit irritating cause I sleep with my head right next to them and I leave the receiver on cause it's also my alarm.

Thanks,

Kyle

Is it an electrical issue? Have you tried plugging it into different outlets? I get a weird crackling with one of my amps when it's hooked up to certain outlets in my apartment.

May 16, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 3
The hum issue could be dirty electricity, or a problem with the amp itself. Try a "ground lifter" and see if the problem goes away, this may work if the hum is of the 60 cycle variety. A power conditioner may be worth a try too, but it is a more expensive option.

As far as the static goes it is likely a dirty volume pot, or oxidation on the RCA connectors, or headphone jack on the receiver. If you clean those your problem will likely be solved. If not it could be something more serious.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back