Using my SE530 on the treadmill. Will sweat damage the IEM? Not the cable
Mar 20, 2008 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

chukwe

100+ Head-Fier
I want to use my SE 530 on the treadmill. I run at least 90 mins and sweat alot. It nearly damaged my Triple Fi 10pro.

I've been using my Ety ER-4P in the Gym. When the sound becomes weak, I change the filters which is fine with me but I need more quality sound and thinking of using my SE 530.

Will sweat damage my SE 530?

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 14
I have exercised wearing my UM2's before and became concerned when one of the sides stopped working. It happened twice). The problem was solved by storing it inside its case with a dehumidifier. I know exercise with marshmallows and rather be careful with my Westones. I am sure it would be the same for your 530's/

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have exercised wearing my UM2's before and became concerned when one of the sides stopped working. It happened twice). The problem was solved by storing it inside its case with a dehumidifier. I know exercise with marshmallows and rather be careful with my Westones. I am sure it would be the same for your 530's/

Which known case has dehumidifier? I haven't heard of one.

The problem I've with other IEMs or cheaper ones are the ability to stay in my ear without slipping out when I start sweating. That's were ER-4P does a very good job. I don't know where SE530 with olives slips out alot

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chukwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to use my SE 530 on the treadmill. I run at least 90 mins and sweat alot. It nearly damaged my Triple Fi 10pro.

I've been using my Ety ER-4P in the Gym. When the sound becomes weak, I change the filters which is fine with me but I need more quality sound and thinking of using my SE 530.

No, it should be fine AS LONG AS you aren't taking them out (letting sweat drip into your ear canals) and then re-inserting them capturing/pushing sweat into the sound bores. But the seal itself should block out sweat and your ear canals them selves do not sweat.

How do you think you nearly damaged the TFP's?

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 14
I've used my UM1 at the gym for a year and a half and before that my E3c for 2 years. The only problem I had was catching the very long cord of the E3c on anything available to catch a cord on
tongue.gif
I've never had problems with sweat. I only take them out when my wife wants to talk to me. I have a PTH that I should use, but I've never gotten around to it.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 14
Silica gel - you know those lil bags of crystals you get in shoe boxes and stuff.. use one of those. put one in the case you store your iem's in and that should absorb the moisture when you're not using them.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it should be fine AS LONG AS you aren't taking them out (letting sweat drip into your ear canals) and then re-inserting them capturing/pushing sweat into the sound bores. But the seal itself should block out sweat and your ear canals them selves do not sweat.

How do you think you nearly damaged the TFP's?

I don't take them out from my ears, they slip out due to sweat.

I used my SE530 for the first time in the Gym. It was hopeless. The weight of the cord was too much that the ear piece kept on falling off.

For me, Ety EP-4P is much better with it's design. I wish it had much bass.

I used my TFP for 2 weeks in the gym, then suddenly the sound from the left ear piece became every weak that I couldn't hear anything. I stop using them and slowly the sound started becoming back, but now it's fine.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 14
To the TC, I would definitely worry about sweat damaging the cable, which you're seeming to shrug off. The SE530 doesn't have a replaceable cable, so you're looking at some downtime (waiting for Shure to replace it) if your sweat causes your cable to premature erode.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the TC, I would definitely worry about sweat damaging the cable, which you're seeming to shrug off. The SE530 doesn't have a replaceable cable, so you're looking at some downtime (waiting for Shure to replace it) if your sweat causes your cable to premature erode.

I won't use my SE 530 for the gym again.

I'll look for idea on how to bass/Mod up Ety products.

Any ideas

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chukwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't take them out from my ears, they slip out due to sweat.

I used my SE530 for the first time in the Gym. It was hopeless. The weight of the cord was too much that the ear piece kept on falling off.

For me, Ety EP-4P is much better with it's design. I wish it had much bass.

I used my TFP for 2 weeks in the gym, then suddenly the sound from the left ear piece became every weak that I couldn't hear anything. I stop using them and slowly the sound started becoming back, but now it's fine.

Do you put the cords over the top of your ears? That should keep them from falling off and its how they're designed to be worn.
confused.gif

Jul 21, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 14

Yes it will because those consist of a damper filter just outside of the drives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back