Using my Headphone Amp in Japan
Jul 2, 2005 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Icarium

Headphoneus Supremus
So I am in Japan for 2.5 month and thus naturally brought my headphone
amp with me. It's a old model Headroom Homeroom amp.. basically
I was wondering how to best utilize it with Japanese outlets.

For one thing they are all two prong.. I expected this and brought
a couple of 3 prong -> 2 prong converters. Of course I stupidly
forgot my power cable so I have to try to buy one of these.

So the main different I know is that Japanese outlets are 100V while
US ones are more like 120V... so my question is.. is the 2-3 prong converter
enough? Like will the outlet power my amp sufficiently and safely with
an emphasis on safely really as these amps aren't cheap.. I don't see it
hurting it but I am no expert.

If the answer to both is no... well I am thinking about getting
something like this:
http://www.buytravelconverter.com/tr...120v/index.asp

what wattage should I go for? And what other power differences
will affect me? I heard that AC hertz is different and that explains
why my alarm clock isn't working well with the stockoutlet.. does that
affect me? And anything else? Will try googling myself but am hoping
someone can help me out. Thanks.

Jul 4, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply... I did but didn't receive a reply either of the
two times I emailed them which I thought was pretty strange since
in the past they have been pretty good about responding to random
newbie audio questions.

I thought my spam filter mighta eaten them but... nope!

Jul 9, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm running a GS-1 just fine on 100V, or at least it seems fine! Who knows, maybe I'll get it back to Canada one day and think "Damn, this amp sounds better than it used to..." Not really sure about the whole two prong/three prong grounding thing here - they can't really expect everyone to run that stupid little ground wire found on every power strip to ground, can they? The only bloody proper ground in my apartment is next to the washing machine in the bathroom! (sorry, had to vent)
As for frequency, what part of Japan are you in? I'm pretty sure western Japan is the same as N. America, but eastern Japan is different (wasn't that the most brilliant decision ever?).
Looking at the transformers you linked to, it seems the whole grounding thing will remain a problem. Safety-wise, I'm not sure it's considered a good idea to use a three prong->two prong adapter, especially for a high current item - I mean, the ground is there for a reason, right? Anyway, as I said, you can buy a power strip (multi-plug extension) that accepts three pronged plugs, and then ground the aforementioned little ground wire if you like. Maybe by some miracle there is a grounded outlet somewhere near your listening area (it's a regular outlet with one plug replaced by a little screw clamp, where you're meant to secure the ground wire from your appliance). Good luck!

Jul 10, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 7
I've lived near Yokohama for 3 years and have had no trouble with any US spec electronics functioning at the lowered voltage. I have a couple computers and a LCD projection TV that do not seem to be effected at all.

As far as grounding goes I just keep my fingers crossed and buy extra insurance
frown.gif

I've talked with everyone I know that lives here and has grounded plugs and most are unaware that the little wire even "needs" to be connected on the 3-prong adapter... Nobody that I've talked to has ever had a grounding problem.

I've also opened up the plastic outlet cover to look for something to hook the ground to but it's all plastic inside!

As for the 50 / 60 Hz issue it is my understanding that the only places in Japan that have 50 Hz power are older parts of Tokyo. I could be wrong though...

Jim_T-> I've thought about running a ground wire to the bathroom as well! lol

I hope this helps...

--ROK3

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 7
> > I heard that AC hertz is different
> As for the 50 / 60 Hz issue it is my understanding that the only places in Japan that have 50 Hz power are older parts of Tokyo. I could be wrong though...

Hi there,
As a Japanese, I can answer this part of the question.
This is depended on the area where you are going to stay.
Simply put, the eastern part of Japan use 50 Hz and the western part of Japan use 60 Hz. This comes from historic reason, at the beginning of modern age of Japan, an electric company in east Japan bought electric generators from Germany and west Japan company bought it from United States.
The 50/60Hz boundary is a line drawn between Fujikawa-river in Shizuoka prefecture and Itoigawa-river in Niigata prefecture. Look at the picture in below link.
I think Audio/Visuals are not affect by the 50/60Hz difference. Be careful when you use : refrigerator, electric fan, air conditioner, microwave oven, fluorescent light instrument, washer.

Please use babelfish to translate this link, this would be helpful.

http://www.aeha.or.jp/kurashi/8_tenkyo/

Voltage is 100V as you already know. You can buy a transformer at AKIHABARA huge electric town as other member said so, if you are going to live in Tokyo.

Hope you enjoy Japan
280smile.gif

sasaki
Homepage

Jul 12, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 7
Sasaki,

Thanks for the clarification! It looks like I'm right on the 50/60 Hz dividing line!
rolleyes.gif

I'll have to do some more checking, but so far my electronics show no problems.

Thanks again for the clarification!

--ROK3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back