Using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean records?
Dec 28, 2007 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I use Magic Eraser for cleaning my stylus, and a kitchen sponge for washing records, and microfiber cloths to dry them...but why couldn't I used Magic Eraser to clean the records? What do you think? It seems to work like magic on everything else.

Dec 29, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FARRRRR too abrasive to clean a record.

the little bits of "erased junk" could also jam in the groove...

I agree. It works great for carefully dipping a stylus into, but is far to abrasive for the delicate inner grooves of the vinyl.

Dec 29, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 11
I've had a Magic Eraser rub paint off of some surfaces so I would definitely not use it on vinyl.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 11
Oh how so wrong could we be?!!

For years we have used the Carbon Fibre brush to sweep dirt into our records. those fibres are twice as hard and 100 times larger than Melamine Foam (Mr Clean Magic eraser)
Though the Magic eraser will indeed scratch any surface if used hard enough and long enough, it is a great tool to clean a vinyl LP.
The scratching that will occur is minor compared to damage caused by playing the record dirty or using a felt cleaner. you would need a electron microscope to see any scratches, a stylus will not pickup scratches this tiny.

The best way to clean an old LP of oils (from touching) release agents (used in pressing, leftover) dirt, dust and human skin cells is as follows:

A sink half full of warm water and a small amount of a mild dish soap.
A Mr Clean Magic Eraser fully soaked in the soap water and solution.
Running the sopping wet Magic Eraser in circular directions around the LP on both sides a couple of times lightly.
A very good rinsing with clean water.
A drying by patting the LP with a clean micro fibre cloth.

This method should only be used when attempting to clean a very dirty record and not a routine cleaning.

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 11
Use glue.

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #8 of 11
When I used LPs in the 70s 80s 90s and to an ever diminishing extent in the 00s I never cleaned them beyond using the Carbon Fibre brush mentioned by cobion.

I still have vast numbers of LPs which I'm going to be selling in the coming months. They've never been cleaned and they sound very good.

I did clean the styli very frequently using my Audio Technica dry micro fibre stylus cleaner.

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 11
Since I already had the Magic Eraser on my turntable for cleaning the stylus, I have lightly dragged it over the revolving album, dry, and I don't get the feeling it is doing much damage. Dry, I don't think it would leave much residue. I wouldn't do that with a priceless recording, but then again I don't have any priceless recordings. Anyway, it seems to work for that final dusting.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 11
If you are remotely serious about vinyl, just bite the bullet and get a VPI or Nitty Gritty.  You can make your own cleaning solutions -- lots of credible and proven recipes on various audio sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back