using Little dot 3 as a preamp?
Oct 19, 2008 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MaxQ

New Head-Fier
HI Guys,
I'd like to use my little dot 3 as a preamp to my turntable so that I can record some stuff to my pc. I have a Numark turntable and it of course has outs. It also has a ground wire that I'm not sure where to put but I was thinking out just grounding right to a center screw on the wall socket if all else fails. Now last night O connected the turntable to my little dot 3 and patched the correct cable to my soundcard. It should have worked but all I got was some clicks and weird stuff so I just pulled it out before any damage occured. Was I doing something wrong? Maybe I have the gain set too high on the Dot3. Any info would be helpful. Thnaks

George

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 5
The amp accepts line level inputs. If your TT does not have a built in phono preamp, you will need to buy one. The phono preamp will equalize the output and bring the signal up to line level.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 5
I have my TT hooked up to an older receiver and am using that as a preamp. So should I hook up my little dot after the reciever ? Would there really be any benefit to even bother?

Thanks
George

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 5
The best method by far would be a phono stage directly into your SC...don't bother with any other circuitry ...do you have a phono stage built into the receiver, if so take the signal from the tape out to the comp SC ? Make sure you monitor that tape out...it should pass the line level signal from the phono stage and output a line level signal to the ADC in on your SC.

Less clutter in the signal path is always better......especially when it comes to the delicate signal from a TT and it's amp. IMHO at least.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back