Using Line Out To Power Headphones
Sep 21, 2002 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

divie23

Head-Fier
Having purchased a portable Sony cd player (ej1000), I have found that the quality of the line out far exceeds the quality of the headphone out. Now I've tried powering headphones directly from the lineout and the quality I get is amazing, however I understand that this is not advisable due to a complete impedence mismatch.

But I was thinking would it be possible to construct some sort of passive 'adaptor' that I could use between my headphones and the line out, so that I can safely enjoy the higher quality output??

The line output has the following specs:

Out Level 0.7V rms at 47k ohm
Recommended load impedence over 10k ohm

Straight from the manual
wink.gif

Now the headphones I intend to use (MX500s and EX70s) are both 16ohm.

Now volume control isn't an issue since the MX500s have an in built control anyway. But I also intend to buy an in-line volume extension cable anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions regarding this??

I have a suspicion that its just a matter of sticking some resistors somewhere, but I'm no electronics expert
wink.gif

Cheers in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2002 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally posted by divie23
Having purchased a portable Sony cd player (ej1000), I have found that the quality of the line out far exceeds the quality of the headphone out. Now I've tried powering headphones directly from the lineout and the quality I get is amazing, however I understand that this is not advisable due to a complete impedence mismatch.

But I was thinking would it be possible to construct some sort of passive 'adaptor' that I could use between my headphones and the line out, so that I can safely enjoy the higher quality output??

The line output has the following specs:

Out Level 0.7V rms at 47k ohm
Recommended load impedence over 10k ohm

Straight from the manual
wink.gif

Now the headphones I intend to use (MX500s and EX70s) are both 16ohm.

Now volume control isn't an issue since the MX500s have an in built control anyway. But I also intend to buy an in-line volume extension cable anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions regarding this??

I have a suspicion that its just a matter of sticking some resistors somewhere, but I'm no electronics expert
wink.gif

0.7V rms at 47k ohm means the line out cannot supply more than a fraction of a milliwatt. No passive device attached to that output would be able to increase that power. You need an amp for that.

Now, the phones that you're using are probably very efficient being earbuds although I cannot be bothered right now to look up the specs. Moreover, it is not given that their sound would improve significantly with a dedicated amplifier. But hey, you made a cmoy before, sure you can dig it up/make another one and see if it suits you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back