Using Japanese 100V-50Hz CDP in USA (110V-60Hz).
May 5, 2004 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

go_vtec

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently I have an opportunity to buy a rare Japanese domestic market Sony CD player for a reasonable price. Only problem is that the power requirement of Japanese CDP is different from USA: 100V - 50Hz vs. 110V - 60Hz. Will I need some sort of power converter or will I be able to get away using 110V - 60Hz power? If I do need such converter, anyone has any idea where to get it? Thanks,

May 5, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 6
I got the opposite problem live in Japan with a Stealth.

While the CDP would probably work with no noticeable impact, I am told that there could be strain on power supply. VCRs with clocks would run fast with no transformer.

You need to know Watts as well. A step down transformer from 120V/& 60Hz to 100V/50Hz should not be to difficult to find. The cheapest start at 50watts say $25-$30, then, jump to 100watts $30-$45, 200W $45? and so on, price goes up same direction. Generally 100W-200W should be ok.

I am using a step up 100W 100/50Khz to 120/60 for my Stealth. Nice though coz can switch to a step down when/if I move back.

Hope this helps.

May 5, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 6
hi, i brought back a nice TEAC player from Japan and had the same questions. Apparantly running it on 117V can damage it over the long run.

i was told not to get a transformer either because the power quality might compromise the sound quality of the player. not sure i believe that anymore, but it doesn't matter because there was another alternative.

i found an authorized TEAC dealer in Toronto and had the shop change the power. It was a matter of them basically finding a jumper switch. It cost me about an hours labour.

most of these players are made for all markets but have a small change necessary to run off the different voltages. check that out, it's the best solution!

May 5, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the tips. May be I'll just contact Sony for a power mod info. In case they can't service it, I have found few 117V to 110V converters on the web.

May 5, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks Ticky. Now that the search works, I also found your old posting regarding voltage converters. It seems Audio cubes and few other places selling these step-down voltage transformers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back