using ipod mini with e5
Mar 30, 2004 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

pretzel

Head-Fier
im planning on purchasing an ipod mini with a pair of shure E5. My one concern is regarding bass. Will the ipod mini give me bass thats strong and have impact through the E5? the reason why i am not going for iHP is due to size (i want something small). I know the E5 is good for bass, but not sure about the ipod mini.
Thanks guys!
Simon.

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 17
I'm not sure if the mini uses the same sound chip as the full-sized iPod, but if it does, you will have all the bass you can handle from the E5s.

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Sczervok
You'd be better off worring about something other than just the bass with that setup.

whats that supposed to mean??
its not a good combo?

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by pretzel
whats that supposed to mean??
its not a good combo?

I think his point is that you are not using the E5s potential through the earphone socket. To better realise the E5s potential you need to use the Ipod's line out and an amplifier.

Mar 30, 2004 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 17
No shortage of bass with the mini and the E5's.

I just listened to the Michael Wood's remix of "Silence" by Delerium, and the bass just shook all throughout my head. It was really breathtaking.

The others are right though. Using an amp brings out more of the best of the E5's.

Mar 30, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 17
thanks for the input about the amp guys. But an amp would just be another thing to carry with my 'portable' set up. I know that the mini alone can not possibly drive the E5s to their best, but it will still be great straight from the mini right?
thanks!

Mar 30, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 17
I don't know your needs as far as wanting an Ipod or not, or if you have the E5's already, but if you want a great sound with plenty of bass w/o an amp, you might want to consider the IHP/Ety 4P combo. The IHP gives the bass ummph to the Ety's people seem to think they need.

To me it's a much MUCH better sounding combo than the Ipod/E5 set.

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 17
Never heard the IHP, but the e5 ipod combo will definitely give you a lot of bass (too much for my ears sometimes, to be honest). The e5s do sound better from an amp through the line out, but I still just use the headphone out 98% of the time.

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 17
I'm in the 'the E5 doesn't technically improve that much out of the line out apart from what the amp adds' camp. And why the hell would you want to stick a Sik Imp and an XP-7 (apparently the beginning of the amps that do the E5 justice... although once again I beg to differ) onto an iPod Mini?

Ridiculous.

The E5 will work in exactly the same way as it does out of the headphone socket of an iPod. I use the combination, I like it.

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 17
Actually, I really dig the Ipod/SIK/Total Airhead 04' (or PCII)/E5

And to me, it's comparible to the XP-7 with the Ipod.

Go figure.
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #12 of 17
I use the e5/iPod combo on a daily basis and I can tell you that it sounds amazing. You don't have to worry at all about bass response directly out of the headphone jack, there is plenty. I also have an '04 TAH that I occasionally add to the setup. While there is an improvement in sound quality, it seems to be rather marginal. You also have to deal with a good amount of hiss with the amp that you don't get straight out of the headphone jack. In my opinion, you should get excellent sound out of the e5/mini setup.

Mar 31, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by 4P4me
I don't know your needs as far as wanting an Ipod or not, or if you have the E5's already, but if you want a great sound with plenty of bass w/o an amp, you might want to consider the IHP/Ety 4P combo. The IHP gives the bass ummph to the Ety's people seem to think they need.

To me it's a much MUCH better sounding combo than the Ipod/E5 set.

I'm doing some initial listening of the iHP-120 versus an iPod, firstly comparing the E5 on both sources. One of the really good points about the E5 for those who appreciate quantity as well as the technical rendition of the low-end is the E5's transient low-end attack capability. Comparing like for like, I think the iPod shows this off quite well. The iHP seems to have less attack but more "afterboom". Do I want the E5 turned into an MDR-V700DJ? Only on certain occasions I think...

With the E5/iPod and ER4P/iHP comparison, the iPod provides more impact / speed in the low end, while the Ety/iHP combination sounds cleaner in the top end and more vertly detailed. In other words, the E5/Ety difference. Yet the Ety/E5 differences that are apparent to me from the same quality source are less pronounced to me in this comparison, leading me to believe that the iHP is taking something away. However it's not bad by any stretch of the word. I've yet to do more listening and more comparative listening, so my word on this is not final.

The Mini is more portable and has a nicer "feel of ownership" (the intangible glow you get from having something really nice) and arguably shows off the E5's capabilities better, while the iHP has far better function and of course storage.

Mar 31, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I'm doing some initial listening of the iHP-120 versus an iPod, firstly comparing the E5 on both sources. One of the really good points about the E5 for those who appreciate quantity as well as the technical rendition of the low-end is the E5's transient low-end attack capability. Comparing like for like, I think the iPod shows this off quite well. The iHP seems to have less attack but more "afterboom". Do I want the E5 turned into an MDR-V700DJ? Only on certain occasions I think...

With the E5/iPod and ER4P/iHP comparison, the iPod provides more impact / speed in the low end, while the Ety/iHP combination sounds cleaner in the top end and more vertly detailed. In other words, the E5/Ety difference. Yet the Ety/E5 differences that are apparent to me from the same quality source are less pronounced to me in this comparison, leading me to believe that the iHP is taking something away. However it's not bad by any stretch of the word. I've yet to do more listening and more comparative listening, so my word on this is not final.

The Mini is more portable and has a nicer "feel of ownership" (the intangible glow you get from having something really nice) and arguably shows off the E5's capabilities better, while the iHP has far better function and of course storage.

Great observation, I agree with a lot of it.

Personally I can't stand the E5/IHP combo.

Mar 31, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #15 of 17
Hey bangraman, when did you get the IHP? Seems like you are competing with austonia to be king of Dapper.
biggrin.gif
Well I think it's good as we get to hear more quality comments from a very experienced portable user.

So you are saying E5 goes well with Ipod, while Ety 4p/s goes well with IHP? How about the nomad jukebox 3 you own, which canal phones do you like best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back