Using headphones with DVD player? how?
Jun 19, 2002 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own a average apex dvd player.

the thing with most dvd players, is that they dont have those headphone jacks. I do see some with this feature like samsung brand.

so is there a way around this? i wanted to buy one of those WOW THing (that little blue machine) to connect to audiooutput of dvd machine. then connect headphones with extension cord to it. but i dont see this machine anymore in stores.

i dont have the room nor money to buy those stereo amplifiers things.

Am i stuck?

this option i will be so usefull for late night movie-ing.

Jun 19, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 13
Besides a portable stereo system with a line-in, what about your computer? Does it have an audio line-in jack? Connect the audio out from the DVD player to the computer's line-in. Make sure the line-in isn't muted on the computer. Plug in your headphones into the computer and enjoy.
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 13
You really have to have a receiver or a headphone amp to run it through if you want good sound. Your player only has RCA-outs designed for speaker output, I assume, which isn't going to work going directly to headphones.

You can try building an amp yourself -- parts cost around $30 or so, and it's not too tough. Other than that, the cheapest you can get is around $100 for a headphone amp built by one of any of few guys on this forum. Else look for a stereo receiver, but that probably won't give you as good sound quality.

kerelybonto

Jun 19, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 13
Oh, didn't catch the last line of your post. In that case, as zzz noted, a lot of TVs do have headphone jacks. A lot also don't, though, including my new Sony. I assume you've checked yours, in which case the above options are the only ones you have.

kerelybonto

Jun 19, 2002 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 13
building an amp? is that a feat a person with no electronic experiece can conquer??

the best ive done is open up a stereo and maybe wiggle the wires to see if it works again. or maybe take apart a toy rc car.

This is just an option i want with my dvd viewing, im not stressing over it.

But if there is building instructions availeable, i can try it. really interested.

Jun 19, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 13
Check out tangent's DIY audio page at www.tangentsoft.net/audio. I've built the CMoy based on his design (well, I haven't finished it, but I could easily if I would get off my ass and go buy some wire) -- it wasn't difficult, and I had never soldered anything before. You will have to solder, though, and work with small parts, and probably have some problems. But it is doable.

kerelybonto

Jun 19, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 13
Here's the link to the thread I started when I got interested in a DIY amp. After the first part, which is basically all encouragement for me to do the project, there're some clarifications and tips about building the amp that should be helpful.

I'll pick up some wire and a battery after work and finish my amp. I'll be happy to help you out if I can if you decide to build the CMoy. Just post or PM me.

kerelybonto

Jun 19, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 13
Hmm, you have an Apex DVDP and you want to use a WOW device... I'm guessing quality isn't much of a factor. You could just split the analog outputs from the DVDP into some super-cheap headphone amp. Given your setup a CMOY is probably total overkill even if the cheapest, crappiest parts are used but it might be your only option.

Jun 22, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 13
I have one of the WOW things for computer. THEY STINK, and are not worth anything. Sound is BAD BAD BAD for music.

Your best bet is the Sennheiser DSP PRO headphone amp or one of the new models. This is a headphone amp and surround sound processor (DOLBY PRO LOGIC). Works GREAT with a DVD.

They can be found on eBay CHEAP. THe DSP Pro is complicated to use, but great sound for movies. That's what I use for my DVD system..

Although a sound buff, I am not into home theater much. So I use the DSP Pro on my main system with headphones, so I can blast away any time of the day. It has two headphone outputs, and can also be used as a Pro logic surround sound decoder for a stereo system (hokey, but workable).

For a straight headphone amp, the DSP Pro is barely tolerable. It's great for movies though.

Jun 23, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 13
I have to disagree here. I also have an Apex DVD player. Well, two of them, in fact (great price, decent picture quality and easily hackable). I've recently tried using one with my JMT Altoid amp, and - no surprise - the Apex is a far superior music source than any PCDP. Of course it's not the best source around, but for home listening it blows away any PCDP at three times the price.

My advice is to contact JMT and ask him to build an amp for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back