Using HDMI -> line-out from Computer Monitor as DAC
Aug 17, 2011 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SpringHalo

New Head-Fier
I'd really like to get a DAC for my computer, or at least something that improves upon the default headphone jack.The new monitor I just bought [Dell ST2420L] Has an audio output from HDMI and I was wondering if that would be improvement enough to justify the purchase of an HDMI cable [To use instead of DVI-D]

Currently I only listen to music through my iPod to a CmoyBB and into M50s and RE0s, but would like to also be able to use them with my computer.

EDIT: If not, I'm considering making a bantam DAC

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 17

Quote:
I'd really like to get a DAC for my computer, or at least something that improves upon the default headphone jack.The new monitor I just bought [Dell ST2420L] Has an audio output from HDMI and I was wondering if that would be improvement enough to justify the purchase of an HDMI cable [To use instead of DVI-D]

Currently I only listen to music through my iPod to a CmoyBB and into M50s and RE0s, but would like to also be able to use them with my computer.

HDMI mode is used for the visual improvements, why connect headphones through the monitor when you could simply use the HDMI cable for the monitor and the headphones plugged into the computer itself (you have to set it so volume goes through the phones instead of to the monitor

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 17
I'm saying that I want a DAC because my computer headphone/speaker jacks don't sound good. I need a jack to plug my amp into, and was wondering if the monitor would be a good source for the amp, as apposed to the computer audio, which has volume control.

EDIT: HDMI and DVI have the same video quality anyways.

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
I'm saying that I want a DAC because my computer headphone/speaker jacks don't sound good. I need a jack to plug my amp into, and was wondering if the monitor would be a good source for the amp, as apposed to the computer audio, which has volume control.

EDIT: HDMI and DVI have the same video quality anyways.

shusshhhhh... no cable talk tom foolery here 

i'm not sure if hdmi is really better, but a $6.00 cable was something i was more than willing to purchase for the possibility of a better display, anywho,either way, you would be looking for a upgraded sound card of a dac/amp combo since volume is still going through the motherboards soundcard before being played through the monitor

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Are you sure? I swore HDMI was digital, and thus unable to transfer amplified sound. Plus, the HDMI would be plugged into my Radeon 6850 graphics card.

hold on one sec... unless the monitors speakers have their own internal amplifiers, sound wouldn't be able to be produced, not without utilizing the motherboard/soundcards amplifier. also, I have doubt your monitors amplifier will sound better than the motherboards. currently, I'm running a gigabyte 990fx am3+ motherboard equipped with a realtek 889 chipset and a 560ti hooked up to the monitor. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 17
I really don't get how you want to pull sound from the HDMI input of your monitor.

EDIT: nvm, just realised your monitor had a jack. Still, I doubt your monitor's jack is of better quality than the one of your soundcard.

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
hold on one sec... unless the monitors speakers have their own internal amplifiers, sound wouldn't be able to be produced, not without utilizing the motherboard/soundcards amplifier. also, I have doubt your monitors amplifier will sound better than the motherboards. currently, I'm running a gigabyte 990fx am3+ motherboard equipped with a realtek 889 chipset and a 560ti hooked up to the monitor. 

The monitor doesn't have speakers. It has a 3.5mm Headphone jack that I assume is for connecting the optional sound bar, which has an amp of its own. What I suspect is that there is a dedicated audio circuit in the monitor that converts the digital audio signal from the HDMI to unamped analog audio through the port. I want to know if this is a viable alternative to the motherboard audio circuits.

Quote:
I really don't get how you want to pull sound from the HDMI input of your monitor.

HDMI carries sound. My monitor accepts HDMI and has an output for sound.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 17
I just wonder if the sound quality will be of improvement compared to the motherboard

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
That's what I want to know, and whither it's worth buying an HDMI cable.

lollery! go for it! IMHO (yes..i DO not believe in cabling, headphones or audio or images) just buy one off amazon for $1.00 or so (i'm serious, the $9.00 cable i bought was a bust, the $1.00 cable i bought worked perfectly 

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
lollery! go for it! IMHO (yes..i DO not believe in cabling, headphones or audio or images) just buy one off amazon for $1.00 or so (i'm serious, the $9.00 cable i bought was a bust, the $1.00 cable i bought worked perfectly 

Or buy it from Monoprice.

I doubt the sound quality is going to be better than the motherboard, but I can't find any information on the monitor's sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back