Using Etys With Loud Volume
Sep 18, 2007 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Let me throw this out there with all this talk about siblant, not siblant, fatiguing, etc.

Some of us listen to our music fairly loudly and I could see lots of high end detail (with high volume) becoming fatiguing and kind of unpleasent versus a warmer presentation. Conversely, if you listen and much lower volumes the Ety detail may be just what the doctor ordered. Would there be any truth to this?

As far as loudness and damage to the ears are the highest frequencies most damaging?

Maybe this is one reason for such varying opinions on them. The volume with which we listen to our music?

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 11
I think you may be onto something which should have been really obvious, but for some reason isn't.

At low volumes, I love my Ety's. As the volume goes up, harshness goes up, and listen pleasure goes down.

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 11
I listen to my ER6 at night going to sleep and listen at very low volumes.Detail is still there because there is plenty of treble energy. ER4 is even better but I can't use them in bed.

In the past couple years I've learned to listen at lower, safe levels and I've become much more sensitive to loud noises during this time. It does seem that higher frequencies would do the most damage, just a guess because they are the most painful to me at levels that are too high.

My experience with the ER4 is that they deliver so much detail that I simply have no need to listen at levels no higher than approx. 75 dB.-even though they never sound harsh to me but I do like a lot of treble as long as it is not sibilant.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 11
I have noticed that the volume on my ipod is very low most of the time now that I have my etys. I just assumed that it was because of how well they sealed so there was almost no noise getting through but maybe this is the reason.

Going to have to try them at high volume tomorrow.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 11
Higher frequency carries more energy, so they should be more damaging at louder volumes.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 11
I believe ultra low frequencies are most dangerous. True vibrating bass, at really loud volumes is very unhealthy and not just to the ear, and it can me some people literally vomit. Anyways, loud treble is bad for hearing. And the smoother the sound the safer to the ear. Supposedly peaks for some reason I never researched is a problem, just as is loud volumes.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe ultra low frequencies are most dangerous. True vibrating bass, at really loud volumes is very unhealthy and not just to the ear, and it can me some people literally vomit. Anyways, loud treble is bad for hearing. And the smoother the sound the safer to the ear. Supposedly peaks for some reason I never researched is a problem, just as is loud volumes.

Bass will not do damage to hearing. Something like above 1K will do the damage. Yeah there have been rumors that bass can make you poop at 8Hz and stuff like that. And there is a Chupacabra?????

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah there have been rumors that bass can make you poop at 8Hz and stuff like that.

If this were true, then why do we still have constipation?

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this were true, then why do we still have constipation?

No fiber
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back