Using an older 5.1 Reciever Amp for HD600?
Nov 30, 2008 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sirmasterboy

New Head-Fier
(Sorry for the double post bit I realized more people read this forum than the headphone amp one and it doesn't really fit there anyways.)

I'm relatively new to the audiophile scene and after looking around for what I want and what I can afford, I have decided to go with a pair of HD600s.

Before I actually make my final purchase I had a few questions. First of all I know these cans really should be amped but here are my questions. My source is a Creative X-Fi which I may mod with a better opamp and caps. If I were to plug the HD600 directly into it would it be able to power them for a strong 80dB or so sound? What about if I stick my Logitech Z-5500 between the X-Fi and the HD600s with a bitperfect SPDIF to the Z-5500 receiver and then use that to control volume.

Another option I really wanted to find out about would be to use an old 5.1 receiver and amp to drive the HD600s. The amp is a 500W 5.1 JVC RX-6008V receiver with DD and DTS.

How would this compare to directly hooking up to my X-Fi or compared to the Z-5500 amp.

Would the purchase of HD600s be worth it if I expect to be hooking them up to an X-Fi with or without either of the amps?

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 7
Personally X-fi is the last thing i would use as a source for my HD600..

the X-fi USB is lying in one corner of my table..i only use it for Skype calls or Gaming voice comm.

What you need is a good DAC first of all.

whats the budget you have set?

Nov 30, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 7
I haven't heard the dacs in the JVC or the logitech, but assuming they're fine:

The hd600 would probably work with either option, but I wouldn't buy them unless you are planning on getting some dedicated amplification later (unless the JVC headphone out happens to be good - I don't know)

Though, if you -do- plan on an amp later, go ahead. No sense in mucking around with lesser gear if you want the HD600 and plan to amp it well.

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 7
I didn't plan on amping it right away. I was hoping the JVC would do well until I get a dedicated headphone amp eventually. My budget is probably under $200 for an amp. Are there many decent options for that price?

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 7
For $200 there are some good Amps like iBasso's which can drive HD600 to a considerable level

for Desktop amp also there are some options for $200

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 7
The iBasso D2 Boa looks very interesting. So it gets its input signal via USB from a PC? Is it easy to get ASIO working with it then or what is the best way to git a bit-perfect signal from the PC to it. I assume its no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back